Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

Since we've had so little that's positive to talk about, Cory's won 5 games and has put up a .933 save% and 2.09 GAA over his last nine games (while facing nearly 30 shots per game).  Wasn't so long ago that the idea of such a stretch truly seemed every bit like an absolute pipe dream. 

And though he was clearly acquired by the BJ's strictly as insurance, it's amazing how KK's just completely been mothballed...yeah, he was really not playing well for a long stretch (.873 save% in 24 games leading up to the trade), and Columbus isn't exactly in much of a position to roll the dice on a relative unknown, but it's not like their two current goalies have really shredded it (though Bob's been pretty good as of late).

Sounds like Torts has barely acknowledged his existence, as far as trying to get KK into a game goes...he truly is nothing more than a warm body to Columbus:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/keith-kinkaid-farmingdale-columbus-blue-jackets-1.28431434

Three weeks and counting since he's played...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Since we've had so little that's positive to talk about, Cory's won 5 games and has put up a .933 save% and 2.09 GAA over his last nine games (while facing nearly 30 shots per game).  Wasn't so long ago that the idea of such a stretch truly seemed every bit like an absolute pipe dream. 

And though he was clearly acquired by the BJ's strictly as insurance, it's amazing how KK's just completely been mothballed...yeah, he was really not playing well for a long stretch (.873 save% in 24 games leading up to the trade), and Columbus isn't exactly in much of a position to roll the dice on a relative unknown, but it's not like their two current goalies have really shredded it (though Bob's been pretty good as of late).

Sounds like Torts has barely acknowledged his existence, as far as trying to get KK into a game goes...he truly is nothing more than a warm body to Columbus:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/keith-kinkaid-farmingdale-columbus-blue-jackets-1.28431434

Three weeks and counting since he's played...

KK also got a new mask made which will never see any action.

The fact that the best return we could get is a 5th rounder that is more than 3 years away shows what the rest of the league thought of him, which is very little.  It has a feeling that Columbus did this trade pretty much as a favor to Shero to get KK off the team for at least something.

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

KK also got a new mask made which will never see any action.

The fact that the best return we could get is a 5th rounder that is more than 3 years away shows what the rest of the league thought of him, which is very little.  It has a feeling that Columbus did this trade pretty much as a favor to Shero to get KK off the team for at least something.

Why would Columbus do the Devils any favors at all?

Nah, he represented an insurance policy that was basically free...he's their "Break Glass In Case of Absolute Extreme Emergency" guy.  As much as he wasn't at all good as of late, he did have a run last year, was off to a reasonable start this year, and overall had a decent track record, all things considered.  Yeah I think his value was definitely way down due to his play over his last 24 games for sure, but I don't think tons of teams were really looking for backup goalies anyway...I don't recall any other ones being moved in the days leading up to the deadline.

We've been over it, but I just like that Blackwood (demoted through no fault of his own, but circumstances left the Devils little choice) is up here and gaining experience.  Considering where he was last season, just the fact that he's up and playing well feels like a huge win.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Why would Columbus do the Devils any favors at all?

Nah, he represented an insurance policy that was basically free...he's their "Break Glass In Case of Absolute Extreme Emergency" guy.  As much as he wasn't at all good as of late, he did have a run last year, was off to a reasonable start this year, and overall had a decent track record, all things considered.  Yeah I think his value was definitely way down due to his play over his last 24 games for sure, but I don't think tons of teams were really looking for backup goalies anyway...I don't recall any other ones being moved in the days leading up to the deadline.

We've been over it, but I just like that Blackwood (demoted through no fault of his own, but circumstances left the Devils little choice) is up here and gaining experience.  Considering where he was last season, just the fact that he's up and playing well feels like a huge win.   

For one maybe down the road?  A lot of these NHL GM's still act and operate as a good ol' boys club.

But the fact that there were a decent sized and very vocal group of fans who very recently wanted KK to be our STARTER to now Columbus' last option before pulling in the NHL-mandatory beer-league level emergency backup goalie is amazing.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

For one maybe down the road?  A lot of these NHL GM's still act and operate as a good ol' boys club.

But the fact that there were a decent sized and very vocal group of fans who very recently wanted KK to be our STARTER to now Columbus' last option before pulling in the NHL-mandatory beer-league level emergency backup goalie is amazing.

You know the deal with the Mutants.  They exist and they're idiots. 

At least with KK, as far as having a "When the sh!t hits the fan!" backup goes, he was playing well as recently as last season and into the start of this season.  There's at least the CHANCE that he might be able to put something together.  Doesn't mean that he will of course, and certainly doesn't mean that the BJ's won't feel like they're completely and utterly fvcked if it ever got to that.  They'll be plenty happy not to EVER have to go that route.  But they could have done worse.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, bostondevil11 said:

This really has been his only tweet so far.

Just like how the 🍆 was replaced with a 🏒 player. 

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

And the transition didn’t take that long lol. 

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You know the deal with the Mutants.  They exist and they're idiots. 

At least with KK, as far as having a "When the sh!t hits the fan!" backup goes, he was playing well as recently as last season and into the start of this season.  There's at least the CHANCE that he might be able to put something together.  Doesn't mean that he will of course, and certainly doesn't mean that the BJ's won't feel like they're completely and utterly fvcked if it ever got to that.  They'll be plenty happy not to EVER have to go that route.  But they could have done worse.

If I had a choice between the beer-league NHL-mandated emergency goalie and KK, I would actually stop to think for a minute.  But that's probably just me:)

So far he has dressed in exactly 1 game to be a backup in his return game back to NJ.  It was largely done so that he wouldn't be embarrassed to be in street clothes when the camera pans to him after the Devils "tribute" to him.

Delicious.

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just like how the 🍆 was replaced with a 🏒 player. 

And the transition didn’t take that long lol. 

I hope the day after Torts is inevitably fired from Columbus if he would comment on what he thought after that trade.

Funny, as much as you seem to hate KK, I kinda feel the same way about Kovalchuk (though not as strongly)...the irony in my case being that me disliking him isn't at all related to him leaving the Devils...considering that Kovy no longer had his heart into being a Devil, it just made sense for everyone to move on...and that contract was a disaster from the day it was signed.  He just seems to act like he's so fvcking entitled...something about him just rubs me the wrong way, just always all about him...he played on an absurdly stacked team in the K, wins whatever the hell it is that they win out there, and you just know he thought he was this conquering hero.  He thought he was just going to waltz back into the NHL and pick up where he left off, and he couldn't have fallen flatter on his face...considering what he's making and what the expectations were, he's been an absolute disaster in his return...and of course, says he wouldn't be opposed to being dealt this season...guess what Ilya, you were a huge part of the problem for the Kings this year.  No contending team is looking for a washed up, sorely overpaid former star, who only seemed willing to address the weaknesses in his game very briefly, due to the influence of Jacques Lemaire.  Sorry pal.