Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I like Dea's speed, work ethic, discipline, and shoot first mentality. Maybe some time in Bing putting up points will help set him ablaze again like at the beginning of the season. If anyone in the lower half of the lineup doesn't fit the team identity, it is Stafford and Boyle. Plz no Stafford. If Zacha can get sent to the Bing, and get back up, so can Dea though. I hope he does. 

Boyle has 7 goals in 18 GP as a 4C. I continue to not understand why he’s seen as part of the problem. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Boyle has 7 goals in 18 GP as a 4C. I continue to not understand why he’s seen as part of the problem. 

Yeah agreed... Boyle might be a little soft for his size at times but he's doing just fine with the role he's been given. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s not. If anything he’s over performed. Tied for 3rd on the team in goals with Taylor Hall, 3 more than our 1C. 

Of course, some people will say it doesn’t count because 3 were in one game. That would be the stupidest logic possible, of course, like a hat trick by a 4th liner is a negative. 

You can call him soft all you want, he’s 6’7” but not a physical player, everyone knows that from long before he was a Devil. 

Those who think he’s not doing his job have no clue what a 4th line player is supposed to be in today’s NHL. 

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on Boyle.  I understand why people are upset with him, but at the same time I think he's played well in what has been asked of him and what should be expected of him.  Here's my take on him as a player, with some positives and negatives:

The Good:

- He doesn't play a lot of minutes, but the minutes he gets, he's contributed at a pace that's good or better than expected

- He doesn't usually take many penalties

- A big body in front of the net

- He's a great guy in the locker room

The Bad:

- He used to be good at faceoffs, but sucks now (39 and 50, 43.8%)

- He's very slow, to the point where sometimes I think he hampers the offense 

- To the above point, on the PP, I think he actually hampers it at times too.  Often I see him just camping in front of the net or aimlessly trying to use his stick along the boards and he whiffs often.  When he's parked in front of the net I see the rest of the guys on the PP unit try to force shots and use him as a screen, or have him get lucky on a deflection here and there.  Sometimes it works, but a lot of times it doesn't, and I'm almost to the point where it's just not worth putting him on the PP anymore.  There are better/more skilled options.  

- Doesn't use his size the way we wish he would

In the end, I don't mind Boyle on the team in the sense that I don't think he's necessarily a liability, but I think a case can be made that there may be better options on the 4th line than him.  I am really liking what Dea brings to the team, and even though I'm not high on guys like Seney, if we had other young options in the pipeline I wouldn't mind them getting a shot here and there while Boyle is relegated to healthy scratch status.  It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

I am indifferent about Boyle.  I don't have anything particular about him to complain about, but he is clearly not in our future plans.  I wouldn't mind him coming back but on 1 or 2 year deals.

• Like 1

Wrt Boyle on the PP, he’s 2nd on the team in goals with 4. Only Palms has more. I think he’s pretty effective the way they use him in front of the net. 

And speaking of the PP, it’s hard to believe Hall is still looking for his first PPG. 

I understand I am in the minority on Boyle, but my opinion of him goes back to last season too and he was invisible late in the season. Maroon basically took his spot on the powerplay and was doing pretty well. Boyle has definitely over preformed in a few games this season, but he has looked equally bad  in several games too. Off the top of my head, the first game NJ played Tampa he was absolutely HORRID. I also really don't like him on the powerplay, but I'll change my mind if his ability to deflect the puck stays where it is at lately though.

48 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I understand I am in the minority on Boyle, but my opinion of him goes back to last season too and he was invisible late in the season. Maroon basically took his spot on the powerplay and was doing pretty well. Boyle has definitely over preformed in a few games this season, but he has looked equally bad  in several games too. Off the top of my head, the first game NJ played Tampa he was absolutely HORRID. I also really don't like him on the powerplay, but I'll change my mind if his ability to deflect the puck stays where it is at lately though.

Who isn’t horrible when we play TB? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Jesus Shero make a damn move already. 

Nothing will happen. They’ll lose 7-2 tomorrow and nothing will happen. Apparently this coaching staff is beyond reproach and carries no responsibility for this group not being ready to play most nights. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nothing will happen. They’ll lose 7-2 tomorrow and nothing will happen. Apparently this coaching staff is beyond reproach and carries no responsibility for this group not being ready to play most nights. 

For me it hasn't been that they're not ready to play or a lack of effort, but rather their inability to close out games.  I feel like that's actually been the story for pretty much most of this season.  It's a tactical error and I guess for lack of better words, poor coaching.  Hynes needs to develop a way and implement some type of system/play that allows this team to hold leads and earn complete victories.  I'm not saying just turtle and play keep-away in the final 5-10 minutes of a game if you have a lead, but it just seems like this team doesn't even recognize or understand the urgency at that juncture of a game.  

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Two seasons ago I was on board with getting rid of Hynes but I’m a believer now. I like him and his system. They can change the assistants out though. I want Shero to make some roster moves before Hynes gets the axe. Not really much to work with there either but this team needs a goddamn shake up of some sort. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Two seasons ago I was on board with getting rid of Hynes but I’m a believer now. I like him and his system. They can change the assistants out though. I want Shero to make some roster moves before Hynes gets the axe. Not really much to work with there either but this team needs a goddamn shake up of some sort. 

Yeah I’m not screaming to fire Hynes himself, although I’m losing patience.... that’s why I said coaching STAFF in my post. Like, how the fvck is Naserddine employed here still? 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

- He's very slow, to the point where sometimes I think he hampers the offense 

To say he "hampers the offense" while he's 3rd on the team in goals as a 4th liner and he's tied with the reigning MVP who gets first line minutes PLUS get's double shifted all the time is a bit disingenuous, don't you think?

• Like 1

Cam Johnson got called up from the ECHL to Binghamton. Does anyone know of Lack or Blackwood are hurt? Or is something happening?

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Cam Johnson got called up from the ECHL to Binghamton. Does anyone know of Lack or Blackwood are hurt? Or is something happening?

If I had to guess I would imagine Schneider will find an "injury" and Blackwood will be called up to play one of the games Friday/Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think it was reported Lack got injured.

dea claimed by Pitt and McLeod on his way up to play in Washington (I assume he'll play otherwise why call him up). I guess this means Santini still not activated off IR. I guess makes no sense to do it until you need him.

my guess is that seney is going to sit for mcleod?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Guilty as charged. I give him stick, but he quietly puts up numbers and shows up in big moments.

Flurry of action. Always exciting when a 1st round pick gets their 1st chance! Speed and energy from the bottom 6 was cited as Hynes as a need and McLeod should be able to provide both. 

2 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

dea claimed by Pitt and McLeod on his way up to play in Washington (I assume he'll play otherwise why call him up). I guess this means Santini still not activated off IR. I guess makes no sense to do it until you need him.

my guess is that seney is going to sit for mcleod?

I would've liked to see Studenic called up but it'll be interesting to see what McLeod can do. Dea started off well then seemed to plateau so can't say I'm too bothered either way about him being claimed.

Was a fun run with Dea while it lasted, thanks for loaning him to us for a few games Pittsburgh.