Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

ONE MAN TANK JOB, LOVE IT!

I'm starting to wonder if Shero goes with Nuclear Option #2 (after the season ends):

Buy out Cory (that would be a $2 million cap hit for the next six seasons, starting next year, but would save the Devils $4 million in cap space in each of the next three seasons)

Buy out Andy (that would be a $1,666,667 cap hit for the next two seasons, saving the Devils $3,333,333 in space next season).

Devils will carry over $5.5 million in dead space in 2019-20 and 2020-21 (that's for Cory, Andy, Cammalleri and Kovy), but from 2021-22 through 2024-25, the dead money hit will be $2,250,000 (for Cory and Kovy). 

Considering that doing nothing with Cory and Andy would mean the Devils would be on the hook for $11 million combined for the two of them in 2019-20 anyway (with no reason to expect much on-ice return on their investment)...does Shero actually say fvck it and buy them out?  Yes, he will be down a goalie, but will suddenly have $7,333,333 more to spend next season...in addition to the space that they already have.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm starting to wonder if Shero goes with Nuclear Option #2 (after the season ends):

Buy out Cory (that would be a $2 million cap hit for the next six seasons, starting next year, but would save the Devils $4 million in cap space in each of the next three seasons)

Buy out Andy (that would be a $1,666,667 cap hit for the next two seasons, saving the Devils $3,333,333 in space next season).

Devils will carry over $5.5 million in dead space in 2019-20 and 2020-21 (that's for Cory, Andy, Cammalleri and Kovy), but from 2021-22 through 2024-25, the dead money hit will be $2,250,000 (for Cory and Kovy). 

Considering that doing nothing with Cory and Andy would mean the Devils would be on the hook for $11 million combined for the two of them in 2019-20 anyway (with no reason to expect much on-ice return on their investment)...does Shero actually say fvck it and buy them out?  Yes, he will be down a goalie, but will suddenly have $7,333,333 more to spend next season...in addition to the space that they already have.   

I mean, when you say it like that, I don't see why they would NOT do that. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, when you say it like that, I don't see why they would NOT do that. 

Of course, a lot of this depends on if Cory ever starts to show something this year...and if the Devils are convinced that Blackwood has a legitimate future as a good NHL goaltender.  I don't think Cory will get mothballed...he's going to get a real look at some point (the trajectory that the Devils are currently on suggests that we might see that as soon as early-mid January).  But yeah, if he doesn't look like he's going to ever find it, I don't think you fvck around...$4 million out of $6 million to re-invest elsewhere over the next three years isn't too bad of a proposition...even if with the -$2,000,000 hits for a few years down the line. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Of course, a lot of this depends on if Cory ever starts to show something this year...and if the Devils are convinced that Blackwood has a legitimate future as a good NHL goaltender.  I don't think Cory will get mothballed...he's going to get a real look at some point (the trajectory that the Devils are currently on suggests that we might see that as soon as early-mid January).  But yeah, if he doesn't look like he's going to ever find it, I don't think you fvck around...$4 million out of $6 million to re-invest elsewhere over the next three years isn't too bad of a proposition...even if with the -$2,000,000 hits for a few years down the line. 

I don't think what Blackwood is or does is even a consideration. You can pay him $800k to suck as bad as Cory sucks for $6m, and look for your next goalie elsewhere. From a money saving standpoint, I'd do that all day long. 

@Colorado Rockies 1976 if I’m Ray, I’m doing everything in my power to force Greene to retire. That would be my first option before a buyout. Otherwise I love the idea of saving 2/3s of their cap hit next year

my question, since I’m not well versed in the CBA at all, if we waive him and pot him in the minors, does his cap hit remain?

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

@Colorado Rockies 1976 if I’m Ray, I’m doing everything in my power to force Greene to retire. That would be my first option before a buyout. Otherwise I love the idea of saving 2/3s of their cap hit next year

my question, since I’m not well versed in the CBA at all, if we waive him and pot him in the minors, does his cap hit remain?

From my understanding, the cap hit is gone but you still have to pay the player because he's on a one-way contract, so he only has an NHL salary. Then the question is does ownership want to be throwing that money at a guy who isn't even on the big club? It's probably best, and more respectful to the player, to buy them out. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

From my understanding, the cap hit is gone but you still have to pay the player because he's on a one-way contract, so he only has an NHL salary. Then the question is does ownership want to be throwing that money at a guy who isn't even on the big club? It's probably best, and more respectful to the player, to buy them out. 

Yeah...a guy like Greene might get a shot with another club at $1-2 million or so on a one-year deal, the season after he's been bought out.  Kinda like what Cam got when he went to LA.  

Don't see him just retiring, but ya never know.  

• Like 1

I think any thought of him retiring and leaving 5M on the table is a waste of time.

Sending him down? Does he get to keep the "C"?  He's not going anywhere imo which is sad.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah...a guy like Greene might get a shot with another club at $1-2 million or so on a one-year deal, the season after he's been bought out.  Kinda like what Cam got when he went to LA.  

Don't see him just retiring, but ya never know.  

Thanks guys, appreciate it

12 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I think any thought of him retiring and leaving 5M on the table is a waste of time.

Sending him down? Does he get to keep the "C"?  He's not going anywhere imo which is sad.

Kovy left an insane amount on the table, so I never think anyone leaving cash is out of the question.

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Kovy left an insane amount on the table, so I never think anyone leaving cash is out of the question.

That POS went home to Russia where he was going to do just fine money/tax wise. The ECHL/SPHL isn't going to pay Greene more than $500  a week.

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Kovy left a ton but knew he'd be getting a lot elsewhere to keep playing.  Greene will never get an opportunity to make $5 million in a given season ever again.  Just don't see why he'd just walk away from that, unless something was promised to him (job in the organization, etc).

8 minutes ago, titans04 said:

That POS went home to Russia where he was going to do just fine money/tax wise. The ECHL/SPHL isn't going to pay Greene more than $500  a week.

Even that's high for both of those leagues. The goalie who beat Adirondack a week or two ago said the SPHL is pretty damn low, same with the ECHL.

Fair points.

• Haha 1

giphy.gif

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

And in other news, Zacha now has 0 points in the last 8 games (25+ goals scored during that time I believe).

~1 SOG per game as well.

I find myself harboring an unhealthy disgust towards this kid.  I should probably seek some help about that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And in other news, Zacha now has 0 points in the last 8 games (25+ goals scored during that time I believe).

~1 SOG per game as well.

I find myself harboring an unhealthy disgust towards this kid.  I should probably seek some help about that.

Fvcking guy scores in 3 straight when my money was on the line though...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

giphy.gif

We also got at least a point in 5 of those 8, so fvck that guy.  

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Fvcking guy scores in 3 straight when my money was on the line though...

Wanna bet on him tonight? 😁

Greene's cap hit doesn't not count in the minors - $1M of it would be exempt, but the rest counts.  I can't see Shero buying both guys out because it puts dead money on to 20-21 which he absolutely should not be doing.  But I also don't think Greene is no longer an NHL defenseman, he just needs a reduced role.  He's starting to get somewhat of a reduced role with Butcher playing more.

Edited by Triumph

38 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Wanna bet on him tonight? 😁

I'll donate $10 if he scores 2 points in tonight's game. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'll donate $10 if he scores 2 points in tonight's game. 

There's a better chance of Jimmy Hoffa scoring 2 points in tonight's game.

19 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

There's a better chance of Jimmy Hoffa scoring 2 points in tonight's game.

One would also have thought there was a better chance of Jimmy Hoffa scoring in three straight...

• Haha 1