Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

52 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The materials and build on the Canadian-made authentics (the ones the players wear on the ice) is completely different than the ones they sell to fans at the stores made in Indonesia called "Authentics."

while i have been up close to the canadian ones, i have never actually handled them to really notice the difference.

i've searched google for this before but have yet to actually see good visual proof of some of the differences. if you have any to share, i'd love to see them.

i have not been in a position to actually purchase a true game worn or game issued canadian made authentic to compare to my indo authentic i got last year.

2 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

while i have been up close to the canadian ones, i have never actually handled them to really notice the difference.

i've searched google for this before but have yet to actually see good visual proof of some of the differences. if you have any to share, i'd love to see them.

i have not been in a position to actually purchase a true game worn or game issued canadian made authentic to compare to my indo authentic i got last year.

I have a bunch of game worn Adidas jerseys, but none of the Indo-Authentics, so I am not able to really show any side by side visual proof.

Mfitz may actually have that since he has owned both kinds.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have a bunch of game worn Adidas jerseys, but none of the Indo-Authentics, so I am not able to really show any side by side visual proof.

can you show some close up images of a home red version. if you have a zacha one, that would be a direct comparison to the one I have.

zacha.JPG

1 minute ago, sundstrom said:

can you show some close up images of a home red version. if you have a zacha one, that would be a direct comparison to the one I have.

zacha.JPG

I would have to dig out either my Hall or Boyle gamer from last season as those are the only reds I have.  In white I have a Severson (Elias night) and Butcher.  I used to have a MoJo but recently sold it.

I will post pics later today or tomorrow unless mfitz beats me to it.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hmm, I doubt I'll be able to tell what material mine is made from because I'm just not good at that sort of thing lol, but some of the other stuff you pointed out I don't think was an issue - granted maybe it just hasn't been long enough and eventually I could see issues with the stitching and stuff like that.  Or maybe I'm just easy to please lol, who knows. 

If you post a picture, we can point out all of the things that are wrong with it lol. If you paid $60, its definitely a knockoff. In addition to using Chinese labor, 0% of the purchase price went to the team or the league as well. 

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I don't have any pictures of the Indo-Authentic, as I sold it new with the tag still on it after I got the MIC and must have deleted the pictures soon after. 

I can confirm though that its a completely cheaper material on the Indo version. 

I just laughed at it but the holiday "gift" they sent to us was a bit ridiculous. Have to spend $500 to get $250 off at some jewelry store. A bit of a stretch to call that an actual gift.

Its funny sometimes how they think marketing works but for me personally all that did was make sure I'll never go to that jewelry store.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If you post a picture, we can point out all of the things that are wrong with it lol. If you paid $60, its definitely a knockoff. In addition to using Chinese labor, 0% of the purchase price went to the team or the league as well. 

Oh I'm fully aware that for 60 bucks it's a knock off, I just didn't know to what extent, and if it was one of the 'Chinese' ones.  

Also, I care very little, almost not at all, that none of the money went to the team/league.  That's not why I buy gear/merch.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Here are close up pictures I took of the materials in my Hall gamer.  The materials for this is much different than what they sell as "Authentics" in any of the retail stores to the fans.

Adidas1.JPG

Adidas2.JPG

Adidas3.JPG

Yeah that looks like really nice quality.  I got home late last night and didn't get a chance to check mine, but I am going to try to remember tonight.

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I just laughed at it but the holiday "gift" they sent to us was a bit ridiculous. Have to spend $500 to get $250 off at some jewelry store. A bit of a stretch to call that an actual gift.

Its funny sometimes how they think marketing works but for me personally all that did was make sure I'll never go to that jewelry store.

Just curious, do other teams give their rank and file (non-premium) STH gifts every Christmas?

30 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just curious, do other teams give their rank and file (non-premium) STH gifts every Christmas?

Honestly not sure but I would have rather just got the plain holiday card from the team or some holiday card with the mascot in a Santa costume saying happy holidays without the "gift card" in it. It's the wording and marketing that makes me go fvck off. To me it would have been better to send nothing than to send this. 

I can't remember if it was last year or the year before but we got a few vouchers for free tickets for family/friends. At least that is something you can call an actual gift.

I'm honestly not asking for much and I don't think I'm owed a fancy gift or anything, just don't try to market stuff to me during the holidays when it's already over commercialized.

Edited by Satans Hockey

39 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh I'm fully aware that for 60 bucks it's a knock off, I just didn't know to what extent, and if it was one of the 'Chinese' ones.  

To the fullest extent. Couldn't say more without seeing it. 

39 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, I care very little, almost not at all, that none of the money went to the team/league.  That's not why I buy gear/merch.

No but it’s why they sell it. You’re basically assisting someone in stealing revenue from the team/league. Not that you have to care about that either, but it’s still true. 

40 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That ain’t a gift, that’s a coupon. If you were gonna buy jewelry, it’s a good coupon. 

When I worked in retail, one year they replaced the usual $20 extra on your paycheck (not a great gift in 1996, or now) with a $10 coupon off anything in the store. Basically a free 3 pairs of socks unless you added to it. 

And not combinable with the employee discount, which means it’s a $10 item you could have bought for either $8 or $6 depending if you were full or part time. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm honestly not asking for much and I don't think I'm owed a fancy gift or anything, just don't try to market stuff to me during the holidays when it's already over commercialized.

That would annoy me to, basically all they did was add third party advertising to their Christmas card. Even like $50 off $100 (or whatever other numbers make sense) at the Devils Den would have been more palatable. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

When I worked in retail, one year they replaced the usual $20 extra on your paycheck (not a great gift in 1996, or now) with a $10 coupon off anything in the store. Basically a free 3 pairs of socks unless you added to it. 

Well let's not kid ourselves, we know this jewelry store isn't losing any money on these coupons. It says "not applicable to all brands" anyway so I'm sure it's only valid on stuff that's already marked up by a lot anyway. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That would annoy me to, basically all they did was add third party advertising to their Christmas card. Even like $50 off $100 (or whatever other numbers make sense) at the Devils Den would have been more palatable. 

Honestly they would have been fine leaving just the holiday card in there and nothing else. It's a picture of all the reps on the ice in the jersey saying "wishing you a happy holiday and a joyful new year! Lets go Devils" and a hand written note on the back saying happy holidays and thanks for your support from my ticket rep.

I wouldn't have complained at all about that if they left out the coupon card that says gift card and "please accept this GIFT as a token of our appreciation" 

I'm also probably more bothered by marketing than most people so I haven't seen how others reacted to this yet. 

I saw some negative reactions on FB to the "gift", but most were just very meh about it.  It's definitely more of a coupon than a gift so the wording is annoying, but nothing to go crazy about.

I remember the year they gave out autographed Christmas ornaments where a few people got bent out of shape over it as they do not celebrate Christmas.  I think that's what ended that idea from every happening again.

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I saw some negative reactions on FB to the "gift", but most were just very meh about it.  It's definitely more of a coupon than a gift so the wording is annoying, but nothing to go crazy about.

I remember the year they gave out autographed Christmas ornaments where a few people got bent out of shape over it as they do not celebrate Christmas.  I think that's what ended that idea from every happening again.

Yeah I'm not annoyed enough to write them an email or anything about it, just wanted to bitch and moan here and I'm done lol

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Honestly they would have been fine leaving just the holiday card in there and nothing else. It's a picture of all the reps on the ice in the jersey saying "wishing you a happy holiday and a joyful new year! Lets go Devils" and a hand written note on the back saying happy holidays and thanks for your support from my ticket rep.

I wouldn't have complained at all about that if they left out the coupon card that says gift card and "please accept this GIFT as a token of our appreciation" 

I'm also probably more bothered by marketing than most people so I haven't seen how others reacted to this yet. 

I totally agree, but because it’s a third party. If I got that and it was for merch at the arena like I indicated, I would just say “oh, that’s cool, I’ll see if I can find something”, and if I did I did, and if not, no big deal. 

But to call it a “gift” and it’s for a third party, you just gifted me an advertisement. 

And yeah, $250 off $500 is probably off a “list” price that you wouldn’t pay even if you didn’t have the “gift card”. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see how Seney could do in between hall and palms. Feel like his speed could create some additional room for that line and him and hall on the ice would really create a lot of havoc on the forecheck. Might as well see, sink or swim, what Seney is against top competition.

Hall-Seney-Palms

MoJo-Nico-Bratt

Zacha-Zajac-Coleman

Wood-Boyle-Noes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

I'd like to see how Seney could do in between hall and palms. Feel like his speed could create some additional room for that line and him and hall on the ice would really create a lot of havoc on the forecheck. Might as well see, sink or swim, what Seney is against top competition.

Hall-Seney-Palms

MoJo-Nico-Bratt

Zacha-Zajac-Coleman

Wood-Boyle-Noes

I’d ordinarily object, but I can’t for two reasons:

1) Zajac, Boyle, Zacha and Coleman are all centers, and none are a second line center, with a possible argument to be made for Zajac since he’s having a decent year. But it’s still not offensive to have him on the 4th. 

2) We aren’t going anywhere the way we are presently situated, so I’m in favor of trying some stuff out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

No but it’s why they sell it. You’re basically assisting someone in stealing revenue from the team/league. Not that you have to care about that either, but it’s still true. . 

I don't believe that's true at all.  Buying a Devils jersey from someone or someplace other than directly through them, or a manufacturer that the team partners with and receives pat of the proceeds from, is not stealing revenue from the team or league.  It's choosing to buy from another vendor, that's all.

It's no different than going to a local auto store and buying a part for your car instead of going directly through the dealer and paying their huge markup.

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't believe that's true at all.  Buying a Devils jersey from someone or someplace other than directly through them, or a manufacturer that the team partners with and receives pat of the proceeds from, is not stealing revenue from the team or league.  It's choosing to buy from another vendor, that's all.

It's no different than going to a local auto store and buying a part for your car instead of going directly through the dealer and paying their huge markup.

My thought on this would be that they have to pay some kind of royalty fee for selling jerseys with team logos on them. There is no way they get away with selling merchandise with a team's logo/trademark and do not compensate them in some way.