Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck.  I was hoping this was going to be a brief absence, but the fact that he missed a couple games a few weeks ago, and now placing him on IR after missing the last three as well makes me think this could be significant and extended.  Fortunately the team's been playing really well so far without him, but I think we may need and miss him especially during this road trip as guys may get gassed and worn out from seeing extended ice time.  Hopefully that's not the case and the relish the additional workload.

How's this for a spin..

I think, ultimately, it's been a good thing for the Devils as a team that Hall has missed some significant time.  I think the team relies way too heavily on him to be 'the man' and having to learn how to play without him has been very important.

I mean, I guess I can't blame some guys for being tempted to lean on him after the season he had last year but.. no more passengers.  Nico in particular seems to be a guy that looks Hall's way every chance he gets - I think he's looked absolutely phenomenal during Hall's absence.  

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 9:14 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

How's this for a spin..

I think, ultimately, it's been a good thing for the Devils as a team that Hall has missed some significant time.  I think the team relies way too heavily on him to be 'the man' and having to learn how to play without him has been very important.

I mean, I guess I can't blame some guys for being tempted to lean on him after the season he had last year but.. no more passengers.  Nico in particular seems to be a guy that looks Hall's way every chance he gets - I think he's looked absolutely phenomenal during Hall's absence.  

That is absolutely true.

So, based on a couple different simulations.. at our current pace relative to the rest of the league, odds appear to be good that we finish 6-10 overall.  Disastrous imo.

Call some kids up, tell Hall to take his time, idk.  Do something.

This sounds ridiculous to be trying to think of ways for the team to lose but to suffer through this sh!thole season and not pick top-3 would be so disappointing.

18 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, based on a couple different simulations.. at our current pace relative to the rest of the league, odds appear to be good that we finish 6-10 overall.  Disastrous imo.

This sounds ridiculous to be trying to think of ways for the team to lose but to suffer through this sh!thole season and not pick top-3 would be so disappointing.

We have a secret weapon...code name: Tank. GET SCHNEIDER IN NET HYNES!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

How about this for a fvcking nightmare:

we finish 3rd to last and someone outside the top 3 wins the draft lottery...

• Sad 1

Looking for positives anywhere I can find them these days:

Miles Wood has five points in his last 7 GP (1 G, 4 A) and has 17 SOG.  He's actually been getting a solid number of SOG for much of the season, though as KITB once pointed out, too many of them are of the very weak "no chance" variety.  And for all of the bitching about how he takes bad penalties (and admittedly he seems to take them at the worst time), he hasn't made any trips to the box in 21 out of his last 29 games. 

I haven't been thrilled with him this season either, but who knows, maybe it's starting to turn around for him.  I can (blindly) hope. 

• Like 1

BTW in case anyone wasn't aware, here's the list of Devils UFA and RFA after this season (only players currently with the big club):

UFA:  Boyle, Yakovlev, Stafford, Lovejoy, Kinkaid, Johansson  (I'd keep Boyle and Yakovlev.  Soyonara to the rest...it's a shame that Johansson didn't work out, and maybe I'd consider signing him to a one-year "Show me" deal, if he's willing to bet on himself.)

RFA:  Noesen, Zacha, Pietila, Butcher, Mueller, Johnson  (Gotta think Zacha and Butcher are locks to come back...can't see the Devils bailing on Zacha just yet.  Mueller probably back on a cheap deal)

Some other UFA:  Tangradi, Gryba, Ramage, Lack

Some other RFA:  Quenneville, Lappin, Baddock, Gabriel, Kapla, Jacobs  (Have a feeling Q will be back...bleech.  Some others on this list will be too). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Hynes' extension runs through July 2021.  So two more seasons after this one.  Not really some major ringing endorsement...sure, it's something of a vote of confidence, but not a major one...Shero wasn't going to give him just one more year and have him be a lame duck again next season, so he went with a passable minimum of two seasons.

Not saying that I want Hynes canned, but I am saying that he's not quite as untouchable as an extension would suggest.  If Shero adds some pieces this offseason and is expecting some of the younger guys to take steps, and the Devils are not playing well again in 2019-20, I can see Hynes not lasting the season. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hynes' extension runs through July 2021.  So two more seasons after this one.  Not really some major ringing endorsement...sure, it's something of a vote of confidence, but not a major one...Shero wasn't going to give him just one more year and have him be a lame duck again next season, so he went with a passable minimum of two seasons.

Not saying that I want Hynes canned, but I am saying that he's not quite as untouchable as an extension would suggest.  If Shero adds some pieces this offseason and is expecting some of the younger guys to take steps, and the Devils are not playing well again in 2019-20, I can see Hynes not lasting the season. 

Spot on

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW in case anyone wasn't aware, here's the list of Devils UFA and RFA after this season (only players currently with the big club):

UFA:  Boyle, Yakovlev, Stafford, Lovejoy, Kinkaid, Johansson  (I'd keep Boyle and Yakovlev.  Soyonara to the rest...it's a shame that Johansson didn't work out, and maybe I'd consider signing him to a one-year "Show me" deal, if he's willing to bet on himself.)

RFA:  Noesen, Zacha, Pietila, Butcher, Mueller, Johnson  (Gotta think Zacha and Butcher are locks to come back...can't see the Devils bailing on Zacha just yet.  Mueller probably back on a cheap deal)

Some other UFA:  Tangradi, Gryba, Ramage, Lack

Some other RFA:  Quenneville, Lappin, Baddock, Gabriel, Kapla, Jacobs  (Have a feeling Q will be back...bleech.  Some others on this list will be too). 

I agree with you on the UFA's, but I don't think Johansson takes a one-year show me deal. He'll get a 3 year deal somewhere and he'll go with that. And I am ok with that. 

I would assume Zacha is back, Butcher is definitely back. The other guys...don't care a whole lot, and yeah I would take Mueller cheap. 

I'd say everyone else can go, but I think that means you and I have to get in there. I'm playing goalie. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with you on the UFA's, but I don't think Johansson takes a one-year show me deal. He'll get a 3 year deal somewhere and he'll go with that. And I am ok with that. 

I would assume Zacha is back, Butcher is definitely back. The other guys...don't care a whole lot, and yeah I would take Mueller cheap. 

I'd say everyone else can go, but I think that means you and I have to get in there. I'm playing goalie. 

A lot would have to go wrong for Johansson to be back here on a one-year "Bet On Myself" deal...I'm guessing that once he's back in the lineup, he'll do just enough to get dealt for a pick, and then that will be that, as far as his Devils career went.  Then it's on to some other team...a team would really have to believe in him to want to give him a 3-year deal though.  He's missed a boatload of games this season and last...he really needs to get hot once he returns. 

Agree with you in that I have no issue with everyone else going (especially the non-bolded guys), but some of those players will be back on low cost deals...your "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" types that play in Bingo until the sh!t hits the fan with the big club.  Not like your entire AHL team will be ever chock full of blue-chip top-notch prospects.  You'll have your Lappins (speaking of, he's really disappeared after a flying start...was funny seeing the goofuses on Pucks & Pitchforks making a huge deal out of that start) and your Qs and your Bouchers.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A lot would have to go wrong for Johansson to be back here on a one-year "Bet On Myself" deal...I'm guessing that once he's back in the lineup, he'll do just enough to get dealt for a pick, and then that will be that, as far as his Devils career went.  Then it's on to some other team...a team would really have to believe in him to want to give him a 3-year deal though.  He's missed a boatload of games this season and last...he really needs to get hot once he returns. 

Maybe 3 years is too much, but someone might do, say, 2 years at $3m per. That's a bit more than a "show me" deal and I think he'll be able to get that. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe 3 years is too much, but someone might do, say, 2 years at $3m per. That's a bit more than a "show me" deal and I think he'll be able to get that. 

Probably, but he really needs to show something.  He's missed 64 regular-season games and has put up 11 G and 18 A in 60 GP combined over the last two years.  I think there's supposed to be a fair amount of forwards in this season's UFA class too, so not like he can cash in a little due to slim pickins.  I'm guess MoJo will be some team's Plan C or D, after they strike out on other guys...or maybe he has to sign with a lesser team that's hoping to flip him in a deadline deal later.  He does have bargain potential though...$3 million for a guy who's shown that he can notch 20+ goals and 45-55 points when healthy isn't bad.