Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

Posted (edited)

BTW in case anyone wasn't aware, here's the list of Devils UFA and RFA after this season (only players currently with the big club):

UFA:  Boyle, Yakovlev, Stafford, Lovejoy, Kinkaid, Johansson  (I'd keep Boyle and Yakovlev.  Soyonara to the rest...it's a shame that Johansson didn't work out, and maybe I'd consider signing him to a one-year "Show me" deal, if he's willing to bet on himself.)

RFA:  Noesen, Zacha, Pietila, Butcher, Mueller, Johnson  (Gotta think Zacha and Butcher are locks to come back...can't see the Devils bailing on Zacha just yet.  Mueller probably back on a cheap deal)

Some other UFA:  Tangradi, Gryba, Ramage, Lack

Some other RFA:  Quenneville, Lappin, Baddock, Gabriel, Kapla, Jacobs  (Have a feeling Q will be back...bleech.  Some others on this list will be too). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Hynes' extension runs through July 2021.  So two more seasons after this one.  Not really some major ringing endorsement...sure, it's something of a vote of confidence, but not a major one...Shero wasn't going to give him just one more year and have him be a lame duck again next season, so he went with a passable minimum of two seasons.

Not saying that I want Hynes canned, but I am saying that he's not quite as untouchable as an extension would suggest.  If Shero adds some pieces this offseason and is expecting some of the younger guys to take steps, and the Devils are not playing well again in 2019-20, I can see Hynes not lasting the season. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hynes' extension runs through July 2021.  So two more seasons after this one.  Not really some major ringing endorsement...sure, it's something of a vote of confidence, but not a major one...Shero wasn't going to give him just one more year and have him be a lame duck again next season, so he went with a passable minimum of two seasons.

Not saying that I want Hynes canned, but I am saying that he's not quite as untouchable as an extension would suggest.  If Shero adds some pieces this offseason and is expecting some of the younger guys to take steps, and the Devils are not playing well again in 2019-20, I can see Hynes not lasting the season. 

Spot on

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW in case anyone wasn't aware, here's the list of Devils UFA and RFA after this season (only players currently with the big club):

UFA:  Boyle, Yakovlev, Stafford, Lovejoy, Kinkaid, Johansson  (I'd keep Boyle and Yakovlev.  Soyonara to the rest...it's a shame that Johansson didn't work out, and maybe I'd consider signing him to a one-year "Show me" deal, if he's willing to bet on himself.)

RFA:  Noesen, Zacha, Pietila, Butcher, Mueller, Johnson  (Gotta think Zacha and Butcher are locks to come back...can't see the Devils bailing on Zacha just yet.  Mueller probably back on a cheap deal)

Some other UFA:  Tangradi, Gryba, Ramage, Lack

Some other RFA:  Quenneville, Lappin, Baddock, Gabriel, Kapla, Jacobs  (Have a feeling Q will be back...bleech.  Some others on this list will be too). 

I agree with you on the UFA's, but I don't think Johansson takes a one-year show me deal. He'll get a 3 year deal somewhere and he'll go with that. And I am ok with that. 

I would assume Zacha is back, Butcher is definitely back. The other guys...don't care a whole lot, and yeah I would take Mueller cheap. 

I'd say everyone else can go, but I think that means you and I have to get in there. I'm playing goalie. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with you on the UFA's, but I don't think Johansson takes a one-year show me deal. He'll get a 3 year deal somewhere and he'll go with that. And I am ok with that. 

I would assume Zacha is back, Butcher is definitely back. The other guys...don't care a whole lot, and yeah I would take Mueller cheap. 

I'd say everyone else can go, but I think that means you and I have to get in there. I'm playing goalie. 

A lot would have to go wrong for Johansson to be back here on a one-year "Bet On Myself" deal...I'm guessing that once he's back in the lineup, he'll do just enough to get dealt for a pick, and then that will be that, as far as his Devils career went.  Then it's on to some other team...a team would really have to believe in him to want to give him a 3-year deal though.  He's missed a boatload of games this season and last...he really needs to get hot once he returns. 

Agree with you in that I have no issue with everyone else going (especially the non-bolded guys), but some of those players will be back on low cost deals...your "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" types that play in Bingo until the sh!t hits the fan with the big club.  Not like your entire AHL team will be ever chock full of blue-chip top-notch prospects.  You'll have your Lappins (speaking of, he's really disappeared after a flying start...was funny seeing the goofuses on Pucks & Pitchforks making a huge deal out of that start) and your Qs and your Bouchers.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A lot would have to go wrong for Johansson to be back here on a one-year "Bet On Myself" deal...I'm guessing that once he's back in the lineup, he'll do just enough to get dealt for a pick, and then that will be that, as far as his Devils career went.  Then it's on to some other team...a team would really have to believe in him to want to give him a 3-year deal though.  He's missed a boatload of games this season and last...he really needs to get hot once he returns. 

Maybe 3 years is too much, but someone might do, say, 2 years at $3m per. That's a bit more than a "show me" deal and I think he'll be able to get that. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe 3 years is too much, but someone might do, say, 2 years at $3m per. That's a bit more than a "show me" deal and I think he'll be able to get that. 

Probably, but he really needs to show something.  He's missed 64 regular-season games and has put up 11 G and 18 A in 60 GP combined over the last two years.  I think there's supposed to be a fair amount of forwards in this season's UFA class too, so not like he can cash in a little due to slim pickins.  I'm guess MoJo will be some team's Plan C or D, after they strike out on other guys...or maybe he has to sign with a lesser team that's hoping to flip him in a deadline deal later.  He does have bargain potential though...$3 million for a guy who's shown that he can notch 20+ goals and 45-55 points when healthy isn't bad. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Probably, but he really needs to show something.  He's missed 64 regular-season games and has put up 11 G and 18 A in 60 GP combined over the last two years.  I think there's supposed to be a fair amount of forwards in this season's UFA class too, so not like he can cash in a little due to slim pickins.  I'm guess MoJo will be some team's Plan C or D, after they strike out on other guys...or maybe he has to sign with a lesser team that's hoping to flip him in a deadline deal later.  He does have bargain potential though...$3 million for a guy who's shown that he can notch 20+ goals and 45-55 points when healthy isn't bad. 

He'll probably go back to Washington and put up great numbers again because he wont be spending 90% of his ice time with dumpster fire Pavel Zacha and insert-whatever-bottom-six-RW-here. In Washington he proved he was good enough to play with the Kuznetsov's and Ovechkin's of the world. Of course, we only have one player of that caliber (two if you want to throw in Nico - which in due time I would agree with - funny enough, some of Mojo's best moments in a Devils uniform have been the few times he's played with Nico) so I don't know what else we could do. We needed someone like Zacha to pan out with Mojo... Mojo is a distributor, someone like Zacha is supposed to be the sniper but he never fvcking shoots. Sucks. I can't even fathom the amount of grade-A chances I have watched Mojo create for this team just for the shooter to have it flub over his stick or some sh!t. Oh well.

Regarding the rest of this season, as much as I absolutely hate him at this point, I hope they just keep giving Kinkaid the lion's share of the net. Maybe he can throw together a 5 game good run of play or something and we can get a 6th round pick or some sh!t for him. I'm all aboard for us just getting the highest pick available at this point.

Re:  MoJo, it just seems like a classic case of "didn't work out", great as that deal seemed when it was made. 

BTW on another note, Zajac's coming up on about a full season's worth of GP where he's been about as productive as you could hope for...nice to see, especially with the rough start he got off to last season after he first came back:

First 33 games of his 2017-18 season:  5 G, 2 A, 7 Pts, 37 SOG

71 games since:  17 G, 26 A, 43 Pts, 119 SOG

He'll never be what he was on the ZZPop line, but at least he's got some good hockey left in him, as he approaches his mid-30s and 1000 GP for his career...just glad to see him bounce back over a fairly large number of games. 

• Like 1

Dreger specifically talks about “top four defensemen”.  My guess is that he’s talking about Vatanen.  I like him, but can live without him if the return is good and it helps draft position.

• Like 1

Is Taylor Hall alive? What exactly has happened to him? Sure got hurt right when we needed him most.

25 minutes ago, devlman said:

Is Taylor Hall alive? What exactly has happened to him? Sure got hurt right when we needed him most.

At this point I'm waiting for them to announce his season ending surgery and the next time we see him will be with our top 3 pick

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

At this point I'm waiting for them to announce his season ending surgery and the next time we see him will be with our top 3 pick

Or at the trade deadline when we get a boatload of prospects back for him.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Dreger specifically talks about “top four defensemen”.  My guess is that he’s talking about Vatanen.  I like him, but can live without him if the return is good and it helps draft position.

It’ll be exciting when the trade is announced, then disappointing when we find out the return... just like most of our games recently

6 hours ago, devlman said:

anytime Hall would be injured during a season... he'd be hurt when we need him most lol

If i'm Shero i'm absolutely trying to re-sign Vatanen now, he's 27, he's our best Dman and losing him would make our terrible D even worst for the next few years. We need to add to what we have, but we also need to get rid of Greene and possibly Lovejoy.

If Vatanen was on a different team... he'd be one of the players we'd be looking at from the UFA list saying we should go for him based on his age and production. 

If you can't re-sign him though you gotta trade him as he would fetch a pretty good return and we need all the assets we can

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

If i'm Shero i'm absolutely trying to re-sign Vatanen now, he's 27, he's our best Dman and losing him would make our terrible D even worst for the next few years. We need to add to what we have, but we also need to get rid of Greene and possibly Lovejoy.

If Vatanen was on a different team... he'd be one of the players we'd be looking at from the UFA list saying we should go for him based on his age and production. 

If you can't re-sign him though you gotta trade him as he would fetch a pretty good return and we need all the assets we can

Agreed, although just getting rid of Greene and Lovejoy would probably improve our D regardless of what happens with Vatanen. 

Can’t extend Vats until the summer, still has another year left, just like Hall

If the rumors are true, however, I’d imagine Vats is the Top-4 they’re talking about. I think trading Butcher or Sevs is a mistake, regardless of current slump and previous slumps, respectively.

if we need to sign a D to improve... there's not that many options on the market.

Erik Karlsson, Tyler Myers, Nick Jensen, Anton Stralman ? 

But since we have Butcher and Smith which are offensive D-man and that our D currently sucks defensively maybe we need a few solid defensive dmen so that Greene is not as necessary say we can't get rid of him, at least pushing him down would help.

As much as it's not ideal to use the market to much to rebuild... what it does is that it's giving you an extra asset which may give you flexibility to make a trade to improve a position you couldnt improve through free agency or internally

Unless of course some GM, cough Chirelli cough cough, is dumb enough to think Greene is still a top 4

Just now, SterioDesign said:

But since we have Butcher and Smith which are offensive D-man and that our D currently sucks defensively maybe we need a few solid defensive dmen so that Greene is not as necessary say we can't get rid of him, at least pushing him down would help.

Here’s my problem with keeping Greene: we had that conversation at the end of last year, the “he needs to be moved down the lineup and he’ll be fine” one.

I honestly think you need to take the Greene bullet out of Hynes’ chamber otherwise he’ll keep using it. Hynes holds the Captain in extremely high regard, for some reason, and there is little to no chance he’ll decrease his role. It’s a glaring Hynes flaw.