Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Now in reality, Zajac probably fetches a 3rd at best and that's probably not going through the headache of having to replace him.

Idk Boyle brought back a 2nd...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Idk Boyle brought back a 2nd...

Boyle's a rental...Preds don't owe him anything after this season, and he's not costing them much for the rest of the year.

Zajac still has two years and $5.75 million coming to him over each of his remaining years...some teams might find that prohibitive (unless the Devils take on a percentage of the hit). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Boyle's a rental...Preds don't owe him anything after this season, and he's not costing them much for the rest of the year.

Zajac still has two years and $5.75 million coming to him over each of his remaining years...some teams might find that prohibitive (unless the Devils take on a percentage of the hit). 

That’s true. Personally, I think he’s worth that money, but like you said it might scare some teams away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nicomo said:

That’s true. Personally, I think he’s worth that money, but like you said it might scare some teams away. 

I think we're so used to having oodles of cap space that we forget that other teams that might be interesting in adding Zajac may not have the room to fit him in over the next two years.

I'm hoping he stays here myself...I can't say that I'd be 100% opposed to him being dealt, but like Tri mentioned, even if he declines, I think you can still find a role for him.  It hasn't always been smooth sailing for him, but I remain a fan of his...I'd love to see him reach 1000 GP (needs 107 more) and 600+ points (needs 108) as a Devil.  The former is definitely within reach if he stays healthy...the latter will be tough.  Assuming he manages to miss no games at all (not likely), he would need to notch those 108 points in 193 games from now through the end of his contract.  About 46 points per 82 GP...but obviously for every game he misses, he'd need to produce at a higher and higher rate.  600 doesn't seem possible unless he re-signs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s true. Personally, I think he’s worth that money, but like you said it might scare some teams away. 

Go ahead and ask the Leafs, Caps, Oilers, etc.. if they think Zajac is worth 5.75M for the next two years.

I mean it clearly doesn't matter to us since we're a cap floor team for some reason, but Zajac ain't worth his contract.  Never has been, never will be.  Hasn't impacted us negatively, though, so it is what it is.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Go ahead and ask the Leafs, Caps, Oilers, etc.. if they think Zajac is worth 5.75M for the next two years.

I mean it clearly doesn't matter to us since we're a cap floor team for some reason, but Zajac ain't worth his contract.  Never has been, never will be.  Hasn't impacted us negatively, though, so it is what it is.

The Oilers pay Milan Lucic 6M a year, they have no room to knock Zajac’s contract...

i was going to say the Caps overpay Lars Eller, but he actually makes slightly less than I thought (3.5M)

the Leafs are whole other story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Go ahead and ask the Leafs, Caps, Oilers, etc.. if they think Zajac is worth 5.75M for the next two years.

I mean it clearly doesn't matter to us since we're a cap floor team for some reason, but Zajac ain't worth his contract.  Never has been, never will be.  Hasn't impacted us negatively, though, so it is what it is.

Zajac is not worth 5.75M going forward, but his performance this year looks to be worth something around $5M on the open market.  It isn't easy to find players who can do what Zajac does.  The issue with his tenure here has often been that he's been put in spots where he's bound to fail.  He's not a dynamic player.  He doesn't make great plays in space, he's not a great skater, he's not particularly creative.  He is, however, great on a hard forechecking line - great along the boards.  With Jagr and Parise he shined, with Kovalchuk and Cammalleri he wilted.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yak back to the Bing.

Staff must really not like this kid.

  • Angry 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yak back to the Bing.

Staff must really not like this kid.

Dogsh!t.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yak back to the Bing.

Staff must really not like this kid.

And I’m starting to really not like this staff. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And I’m starting to really not like this staff. 

Me either.  I mean wtf?  So without Vatanen in the lineup they're rather go with Mueller, Santini, or the soon-to-be-31 year old Eric fvckking Gryba?  How many times are they going to pass up on him and choose other guys before him?  When he's up here he plays pretty sound defense and also contributes offensively.  The guy isn't perfect, but he's young and looks like he has potential.  Keep him up here with the big club and let him work through whatever issues he may have while it doesn't matter.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Shero and Mueller to have DNA testing done.  I'm starting to suspect there's some distant relation there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I want Shero and Mueller to have DNA testing done.  I'm starting to suspect there's some distant relation there.

I am starting to think it is a sunk cost fallacy. They put so much effort/resources into Mueller and Santini and can't accept the reality. Yak is going to walk after this year and I don't blame him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yak back to the Bing.

Staff must really not like this kid.

I'd love to hear Hynes' justification for this. Waiting for that English barrier to come back up

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am starting to think it is a sunk cost fallacy. They put so much effort/resources into Mueller and Santini and can't accept the reality. Yak is going to walk after this year and I don't blame him. 

What exactly have they put into Mueller?  Dude was acquired last year, wasn't he?  I feel like we have almost nothing vested in him and his contract is up this season as an RFA.  Tender him an offer if you want, pay him $1M to be the 7th defenseman next year, on an as-needed basis if someone gets hurt.  But he absolutely shouldn't be getting time over Yak who's played better in all aspects, with much less time and opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What exactly have they put into Mueller?  Dude was acquired last year, wasn't he?  I feel like we have almost nothing vested in him and his contract is up this season as an RFA.  Tender him an offer if you want, pay him $1M to be the 7th defenseman next year, on an as-needed basis if someone gets hurt.  But he absolutely shouldn't be getting time over Yak who's played better in all aspects, with much less time and opportunities.

I think he’s referring to the 2nd and 3rd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What exactly have they put into Mueller?  Dude was acquired last year, wasn't he?  I feel like we have almost nothing vested in him and his contract is up this season as an RFA.  Tender him an offer if you want, pay him $1M to be the 7th defenseman next year, on an as-needed basis if someone gets hurt.  But he absolutely shouldn't be getting time over Yak who's played better in all aspects, with much less time and opportunities.

 

37 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I think he’s referring to the 2nd and 3rd

Yea, the picks, but also the effort sunk into him by the coaching staff as well. They thought Mueller would have a higher ceiling and they aren't willing to give up on him yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they were fully giving up on Yakovlev they would've just sent him back to Russia - he has a European Assignment Clause in his contract, so he can choose to play in Russia under this contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I think he’s referring to the 2nd and 3rd

2017 2nd and 2017 4th actually, for Mueller (and San Jose's 2017 5th)

As much as I'm not impressed by Mueller's overall body of work as a Devil to date (and admittedly I'm pretty much done with him), might as well play him from here on out and find out if he's got anything that leads Shero to believe that he's worth keeping around.  Devils have nothing to lose.

Kinda sucks that Shero's more recent "picks for player" deals haven't worked out as well as Palms, but at the same time, easy to forget how little he inherited, both at the NHL and maybe even more so at the AHL level.  The picks were just about the only asset he had to send to other teams, in trying to get some "NHL now guys".  And sometimes you take a chance on a guy you think has some upside and isn't 2+ years away from helping your team.  I do remember Tri not being terribly thrilled about Mueller at the time...looks like he was right about that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triumph said:

If they were fully giving up on Yakovlev they would've just sent him back to Russia - he has a European Assignment Clause in his contract, so he can choose to play in Russia under this contract.

It has seemed at times that Hynes will pick anyoine but Yak though. Haven't they seen enough of Mueller and Santini to have a reasonable idea of what sort of players they have there? And as it would take more than another herculean season from Hall to drag this team into the playoffs surely it would make sense to give Yakovlev a run of games to see if he's worth keeping on beyond this season? I fully admit I'm no expert but he's looked pretty decent when he's played to me. Mueller, for instance, though doesn't seem to have progressed one little bit since he signed. I really can't figure out what the coaching staff are thinking in this situation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heard some snippets from Elliot Friedman. He said he heard some rumblings about Hall potentially being available and checked with Shero who said zero chance. Friedman said that he believes that Devils ownership is willing to spend $ to be bring in more players but that a factor is in waiting to see how much Hall costs, thinks Hall will cost 10+ per. He thinks Hall will sign an extension to stay in New Jersey but will want to hear what the plan is first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

heard some snippets from Elliot Friedman. He said he heard some rumblings about Hall potentially being available and checked with Shero who said zero chance. Friedman said that he believes that Devils ownership is willing to spend $ to be bring in more players but that a factor is in waiting to see how much Hall costs, thinks Hall will cost 10+ per. He thinks Hall will sign an extension to stay in New Jersey but will want to hear what the plan is first. 

It is almost circular. Hall wants to see what the plan is to draw in better players, better players want to see Hall stay a Devil because he is 80% of the team right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

heard some snippets from Elliot Friedman. He said he heard some rumblings about Hall potentially being available and checked with Shero who said zero chance. Friedman said that he believes that Devils ownership is willing to spend $ to be bring in more players but that a factor is in waiting to see how much Hall costs, thinks Hall will cost 10+ per. He thinks Hall will sign an extension to stay in New Jersey but will want to hear what the plan is first. 

I mean, on the one hand, Auston Matthews just signed an extension for $11+m AAV, is Hall worth $10=m?

On the other hand, Matthews probably gets more if Toronto has the space for it. We have the space for it and then some. 

If he wants 8 years/$80 million, I think you give it to him. I think I might even go 8 years/$88m. I think locking him down will be a big part of our future rebuild because of...

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is almost circular. Hall wants to see what the plan is to draw in better players, better players want to see Hall stay a Devil because he is 80% of the team right now.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is almost circular. Hall wants to see what the plan is to draw in better players, better players want to see Hall stay a Devil because he is 80% of the team right now.

that occurred to me to. I really like Shero but it is unfortunate the team wasn't able to add anything this past offseason to build on their progress and instead regress from last year when they probably overachieved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.