Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, on the one hand, Auston Matthews just signed an extension for $11+m AAV, is Hall worth $10=m?

On the other hand, Matthews probably gets more if Toronto has the space for it. We have the space for it and then some. 

If he wants 8 years/$80 million, I think you give it to him. I think I might even go 8 years/$88m. I think locking him down will be a big part of our future rebuild because of...

One factor to keep in mind is the Leafs are generally buying cheaper RFA years in Mathews case whereas for Hall the team paying him is buying pricier UFA years. I agree they have to keep this guy and I am sure Shero knows it, getting Hall has been his crowning achievement here if he loses Hall the rebuild is basically back to the sh!tter. 

I know there's so much love for Lovejoy here, you'll all be relieved that he doesn't want to go anywhere and may retire in NJ (eventually)! :evil: 

“I love it here,” Lovejoy told NJ Advance Media. "I’ve loved playing here, I’ve loved living here, I’ve loved being a Devil, coming to the rink every day. We have not been successful enough this year and I understand when that happens, changes are made, particularly at the deadline.

“I am a Devil right now. I have too much respect for the owners, management, coaches, our players, people that work here. I’m going to give everything I have as long as I’m a Devil..." 

“At this point in my life, with three young children, this is the best place I’ve ever lived," Lovejoy said. "We love living in New Jersey. It’s a place we found really special that we could end up living at for the rest of our lives.” 

https://www.nj.com/devils/2019/02/nhl-trade-rumors-how-devils-ben-lovejoy-is-approaching-trade-deadline-its-something-i-think-about-every-day.html

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I know there's so much love for Lovejoy here, you'll all be relieved that he doesn't want to go anywhere and may retire in NJ (eventually)! :evil: 

“I love it here,” Lovejoy told NJ Advance Media. "I’ve loved playing here, I’ve loved living here, I’ve loved being a Devil, coming to the rink every day. We have not been successful enough this year and I understand when that happens, changes are made, particularly at the deadline.

“I am a Devil right now. I have too much respect for the owners, management, coaches, our players, people that work here. I’m going to give everything I have as long as I’m a Devil..." 

“At this point in my life, with three young children, this is the best place I’ve ever lived," Lovejoy said. "We love living in New Jersey. It’s a place we found really special that we could end up living at for the rest of our lives.” 

https://www.nj.com/devils/2019/02/nhl-trade-rumors-how-devils-ben-lovejoy-is-approaching-trade-deadline-its-something-i-think-about-every-day.html

Lovejoy gets it. It is the best place he’s ever lived. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

People can hate on the guy, but he has been fine this year and last in his role on the 3rd pair. He's also consistently been one of the more interesting interviews and is generally worth listening to, which can't be said of many boring ass hockey players. I'll miss him when he's gone, even if he's nothing special.

• Like 2

EDIT: damnit wrong thread

Edited by jagknife

10 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

People can hate on the guy, but he has been fine this year and last in his role on the 3rd pair. He's also consistently been one of the more interesting interviews and is generally worth listening to, which can't be said of many boring ass hockey players. I'll miss him when he's gone, even if he's nothing special.

You’re right. He hasn’t been THAT bad. My issue is the season is over, Hynes should be playing youth letting guys get experience, yet Rev Greene and Eric fvcking Gryba are getting minutes while Yak rots in Bing. I honestly think Hynes doesn’t have the balls to tell a vet on defense that they have to sit a game, so you have to take the option away from him.

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You’re right. He hasn’t been THAT bad. My issue is the season is over, Hynes should be playing youth letting guys get experience, yet Rev Greene and Eric fvcking Gryba are getting minutes while Yak rots in Bing. I honestly think Hynes doesn’t have the balls to tell a vet on defense that they have to sit a game, so you have to take the option away from him.

Nah, I agree with you, but we're not going to get any value out of him riding out the next few weeks in the press box. He WILL be traded, you can bank on that.

Gryba? Yeah. No excuse for that other than we are explicitly tanking without saying it. Same thing with playing trash ass Gabriel. The issue I have with Gryba over Yak specifically is Yakovlev has AT MINIMUM shown enough flashes of talent that he is still a question mark going forward of will he useful to bring back for next year? We're not answering that question by playing sh!tty Gryba over him, but I guess the fact that he keeps getting yo-yo'd around basically answers my question.

• Like 3

Really have no issue with the roster moves at this point.  Finishing where we are right now gives us a really good shot at getting a forward that will make an impact immediately.  The Gryba’s of the world help us get there.  

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lovejoy gets it. It is the best place he’s ever lived. 

Hopefully Hall was standing nearby while he was saying that. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Jersey kid coming home- he played at Delbarton.

Shero draft pick in the 5th round of 2010.

AHL MVP during the 2016-2017 season.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Shero draft pick in the 5th round of 2010.

AHL MVP during the 2016-2017 season.

A few years ago I played golf with a couple of friends of his. The one dude had a Calgary Flames hat on (not a hat you see in Jersey very much lol), so I asked him what the deal was, and he said ‘they traded for one of my best friends, Kenny Agostino’ (I think he was dealt for Iginla). Pretty cool that he gets to come home. I think he and Palms played against each other (Palms at CBA, Agostino at Delbarton).

Edited by MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

A few years ago I played golf with a couple of friends of his. The one dude had a Calgary Flames hat on (not a hat you see in Jersey very much lol), so I asked him what the deal was, and he said ‘they traded for one of my best friends, Kenny Agostino’ (I think he was dealt for Iginla). Pretty cool that he gets to come home. I think he and Palms played against each other (Palms at CBA, Agostino at Delbarton).

I think Palms went to St. Peter's but I don't know if he finished there. JVR and his siblings went to CBA. 

Kenny and Johnny Gaudreau played against one another in high school.

Image result for johnny gaudreau kenny agostino

• Like 2

He has not seen a whole lot of NHL action at age 26. I assume we're re-stocking Binghamton since half of their roster is up here playing? 

3 minutes ago, NLinfante said:

I think Palms went to St. Peter's but I don't know if he finished there. JVR and his siblings went to CBA. 

Kenny and Johnny Gaudreau played against one another in high school.

Image result for johnny gaudreau kenny agostino

Yep, you’re right Palms did go to St. Peter’s; two years at St. Peter’s before moving on to the USNTDP.

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He has not seen a whole lot of NHL action at age 26. I assume we're re-stocking Binghamton since half of their roster is up here playing? 

That was my exact thoughts.  Having been drafted in 2010 I figured he was close to 27 years old and therefore probably not much more than an AHL lifer, and that seems necessary for the reason you mentioned.

Murphy plays a great game and gets sent down. He's better than Gryba and deserved another start at least. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Murphy plays a great game and gets sent down. He's better than Gryba and deserved another start at least. 

Yeah that is unfortunate, I would rather see Murphy and Yakovlev than Gryba and Mueller, or rather than Greene and Lovejoy, for that matter...

• Like 5

Murphy pay the price of being a decent hockey player and having a good game! He didn't get the memo about tanking : ) 

• Haha 2

We need to pass him through waivers though to get him in Bing, don't we?

19 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

We need to pass him through waivers though to get him in Bing, don't we?

Yep, so we claimed a guy with what 37 games in the NHL, to waive him and restock Bing? Doesn’t make sense

Edited by jagknife

Montreal would claim Agostino right back.  The claim of Agostino to me serves two purposes - 1:  the Devils need bodies to finish out the season and 2:  The Devils could re-sign Agostino to a big two-way deal next season.  Binghamton could really use a player like him.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Miles only fell 32 times during practice, so he should be ready for the next game. 

• Haha 3