Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

Good call with this thread, guess we should probably officially retire the offseason one.

But this gap is killing me.  Thankfully (for us fans) there are a ton of games packed into the next few months as a result.

Makes me worry about fatigue and injuries, though.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2018 at 2:00 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

Is there an official timetable for return for Cory?  I assume an AHL assignment means he's close, but does he have to go through that, or whenever he feels ready they can put him back in?

He had no pre seaosn games, so he would.need game action, which will be his 1st real test on the hip.  I wonder if he had to change any movements bc of the the surgery.

• Like 1

Ty Smith now has 2 goals and 9 assists through 6 games with Spokane.  Dating back to last season, that's 16 goals and 68 assists in 75 GP.  Hard to say if he would've been ready for the NHL this season (and I have no issues with the Devils being conservative on this one), but it looks like he's definitely outgrown the WHL.  This year is probably going to feel very "easy" for him. 

FWIW, Mike McLeod has one assist through 9 career AHL games.  Obviously still quite young (he'll turn 21 in February)...still has plenty of time. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ty Smith now has 2 goals and 9 assists through 6 games with Spokane.  Dating back to last season, that's 16 goals and 68 assists in 75 GP.  Hard to say if he would've been ready for the NHL this season (and I have no issues with the Devils being conservative on this one), but it looks like he's definitely outgrown the WHL.  This year is probably going to feel very "easy" for him. 

FWIW, Mike McLeod has one assist through 9 career AHL games.  Obviously still quite young (he'll turn 21 in February)...still has plenty of time. 

Smith belonged on the Devils, they just didn’t want to put someone on waivers, which I get.  He probably would not have made them that much better than are now, so another reason to let him dominate the WHL.

If he keeps up the scoring pace, the comparables are Doug Hamilton and Provorov. Just needs to get stronger so he can handle NHL forwards adequately.

46 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Smith belonged on the Devils, they just didn’t want to put someone on waivers, which I get.  He probably would not have made them that much better than are now, so another reason to let him dominate the WHL.

If he keeps up the scoring pace, the comparables are Doug Hamilton and Provorov. Just needs to get stronger so he can handle NHL forwards adequately.

I have no problem with him doing another year I. Juniors, especially with the flashes of adequacy we saw from the defense in the first two games. 

Mom starting to think both Shero and Hynes know what they’re doing with this whole hockey thing. 

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

as long he keeps developing his skill set and not get into lazy habits

Honestly, he got his a$$ kicked in that game. The blocked shot was fantastic but I am sure it hurt, a high stick to the face, he got buckled in front of the net with a cross check to the back that went uncalled, and he was generally roughed up throughout. 

I left the arena hoping he was ok, and I am not surprised if he's banged up. Let's hope that's all it is.