Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

15 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i very much don't think they'd have said anything because they don't have to. The tell will be tonight's Binghamton game. If someone is scratched from that game (think Yakovlev or, say, Lappin because they're going to put Santini or Gryba in and maybe sub Lappin for Quenneville), then you'll know something is up.

Well i fully expect Butcher to miss at the very least the next game or 2. I think what we're all scared of is that it's a long-term injury. 

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, let's have fun and speculate.  Leafs need to unload salary.  Kadri is a guy that jumps out at me as someone they might be looking to move.

Assuming the Leafs are looking for cheap talent, do you entertain a deal around Zacha for Kadri?

Damn, I would really like Kadri. I don't know that Zacha does it, but you never know; Leafs are in a supreme cap crunch and he's a 2nd line center on half the teams in the league.

5 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Damn, I would really like Kadri. I don't know that Zacha does it, but you never know; Leafs are in a supreme cap crunch and he's a 2nd line center on half the teams in the league.

His hit is not outrageous ($4.5 cap hit though 2020-21), and you'd be getting well over 3 seasons out of him.  If Zacha was going the other way, he clearly wouldn't be enough on his own.  If Toronto is looking not to take salary on, you'd probably have to give them another young player, or some picks.  This will sound like a lot, and I'm not saying I would do it, but I could see them looking for Bratt and Zacha (and maybe a Q-type or something else as a throw-in).  Sounds like a lot, but I could see Toronto more or less saying "We're giving you a guy who's scored 32 goals in two straight seasons.  Your guys haven't managed 30 goals combined in 3+ seasons in the NHL.  Neither one is a sure thing...you're getting the most proven guy in this deal, and he's cost-controlled to boot!" 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

His hit is not outrageous ($4.5 cap hit though 2020-21), and you'd be getting well over 3 seasons out of him.  If Zacha was going the other way, he clearly wouldn't be enough on his own.  If Toronto is looking not to take salary on, you'd probably have to give them another young player, or some picks.  This will sound like a lot, and I'm not saying I would do it, but I could see them looking for Bratt and Zacha (and maybe a Q-type or something else as a throw-in).  Sounds like a lot, but I could see Toronto more or less saying "We're giving you a guy who's scored 32 goals in two straight seasons.  Your guys haven't managed 30 goals combined in 3+ seasons in the NHL.  Neither one is a sure thing...you're getting the most proven guy in this deal, and he's cost-controlled to boot!" 

No Bratt. He’s off limits. Kadri’s hit isn’t bad, but they’re still in a bad spot cap wise. Offer them Zacha, a pick and McLeod. If they say no, they say no. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No Bratt. He’s off limits. Kadri’s hit isn’t bad, but they’re still in a bad spot cap wise. Offer them Zacha, a pick and McLeod. If they say no, they say no. 

If they want Bratt as a throw in for Kadri I would do it in a heartbeat.

I really do not get what makes Bratt so untouchable with a lot of our fans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The reason Bratt is off limits is because of his ceiling. He showed immense potential last year. He’s 19 years old. I’m not moving him at this stage of the game only to watch him flourish somewhere else and fulfill that potential unless it’s for a game changer, which Nazim Kadri is not. 

Speaking of Bratt: 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The reason Bratt is off limits is because of his ceiling. He showed immense potential last year. He’s 19 years old. I’m not moving him at this stage of the game only to watch him flourish somewhere else and fulfill that potential unless it’s for a game changer, which Nazim Kadri is not. 

Speaking of Bratt:

A lot of players have high ceilings.  Whether they hit them or not is another story.

I will take a known quantity over potential any day.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Because whatever other teams think he's worth in a trade is about 1/10th what his ceiling could be. Considering how he looked in preseason, I do not sell low on him right now. He wasn't the "shows flashes" good this preseason, he was all over the ice and making other teams' defenses look stupid.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

A lot of players have high ceilings.  Whether they hit them or not is another story.

I will take a known quantity over potential any day.

Agree to disagree. Sixth round picks don’t usually do what that kid did last year at such a young age. I’ll gladly hold onto him and let him continue to develop unless some GM wants to go Don Corleone and make us an offer we can’t refuse. 

1 minute ago, DJ Eco said:

Because whatever other teams think he's worth in a trade is about 1/10th what his ceiling could be. Considering how he looked in preseason, I do not sell low on him right now. He wasn't the "shows flashes" good this preseason, he was all over the ice and making other teams' defenses look stupid.

019FC12A-C875-4300-A701-B13E15D6CD42.jpeg

• Like 1

Under the circumstances, pretty damned good news for Zajac...for the moment, anyway.  Thank god it's not the Mets evaluating him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

I think that's what you hope ideally, but how many trades are there that are ideal for both teams?

He was all over the ice in the preseason but he also had his moments where he was pretty bad as well in the 2 preseason games I attended.  I still see a very much an up and down kind of player.

Hynes doesn't make too many bad moves, but putting Stafford on the 2nd line would be such a Pete DeBoer move. C'mon man... Seeing someone go from extra forward to 2nd line is always a frustrating one. I'd shift Dea, Quenneville, or Noesen into that spot, call up Brett Seney, and have him take the 4th line center role. I'm sure he's working hard, but Stafford doesn't belong on this team. I hope he could prove me wrong.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think that's what you hope ideally, but how many trades are there that are ideal for both teams?

He was all over the ice in the preseason but he also had his moments where he was pretty bad as well in the 2 preseason games I attended.  I still see a very much an up and down kind of player.

This tends to be the case with teenagers. You gotta be patient. 

1 minute ago, DJ Eco said:

Hynes doesn't make too many bad moves, but putting Stafford on the 2nd line would be such a Pete DeBoer move. C'mon man... Seeing someone go from extra forward to 2nd line is always a frustrating one. I'd shift Dea, Quenneville, or Noesen into that spot, call up Brett Seney, and have him take the 4th line center role. I'm sure he's working hard, but Stafford doesn't belong on this team. I hope he could prove me wrong.

Yeah Stafford on the second line is a fvcking joke. Love Hynes, but that’s a head scratcher. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Who would you put in his place, Quenneville?

I'd rather give it to a young guy with promise, than an aging vet at the end of his career.  You give it to the kid, and you're saying "here's a big opportunity, let's see what you can do with it" - you give it to the older journeymen, and you're saying "we have no better options, we're not expecting much".  It's basically a waste.  Plug Stafford in on the 4th line and let him eat up 6 or 7 minutes.  

The chances of Quennville doing something productive are higher than that of Stafford.

• Like 1