Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

I do feel bad for Cory, because he is indeed a nice guy, and by all accounts has never said anything bad about his teammates or the organization.  He did play well for us for a few seasons too, but the sad truth however, is that his time simply seems to be up.  I think Cory will/should be remembered as a Devil who had a couple good seasons, and then fell victim to a few different circumstances that ultimately led to his early demise.  He had the hard task of being the next goalie to follow in the footsteps of not only the best goalie our team has ever seen, but quite possibly all time in the league itself, so in some ways he was set up to fail right out of the gate.  There were people who were never going to like him, even if he had posted dozens of shutouts and had a .950+ save percentage year after year.  He did enough to earn the respect and faith of most of us in his first year or two here, but unfortunately that was very short lived and basically his tenure here in New Jersey is 50-50, with him now having just about the same number of bad seasons as he has had good ones.  The reasons for him being in this predicament notwithstanding, I have no ill will towards Cory and I thank him for his service to our team.  While it would have been great if the last few seasons were as good as his first few years and we could look forward to a handful of more from him to carry us into the post-season, that's not the case and it seems to be in the best interest for all that we start to look towards our next long-term option in goal.  I do wish him the best and I wouldn't blame him for trying to play elsewhere, but I really doubt he's going to find much, if any success.  But hey, I could be wrong, sometimes all people need for a reboot is a change.  Good luck Cory.  

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Strange... a few of the Bing writers I follow on Twitter had been saying that Cory was going to get the start tonight. 

Jeff Ulmer‏ @Ski931  Blackwood gets the start tonight vs Hartford. Cam backs up. Schneider not dressed. #BingDevil

No word on Schneider. Played in 2 of the 3 games on conditioning stint.

Maybe Cory is ‘injured’ again....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I think the skills competition is tonight, and the game is tomorrow.

Hard to believe anything better will happen than Heiskanen eating wall in the fastest skater comp. Dude must have been embarrassed. He did a Miles Wood. 

• Like 1

The tentative lineup is pretty scary.  Blackwood stays in Bing hopefully just for the all star game.  The return of Kurtis Gabriel seems to be a possibility.  Lots of injury updates in the article.  Call me nuts but I'm starting to wonder of Hall had some kind of minor surgery at this point?

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

The tentative lineup is pretty scary.  Blackwood stays in Bing hopefully just for the all star game.  The return of Kurtis Gabriel seems to be a possibility.  Lots of injury updates in the article.  Call me nuts but I'm starting to wonder of Hall had some kind of minor surgery at this point?

I can't recall a single instance in the past ten years or more where a player had surgery during the season and the team did not make any announcement to that effect.  At this point I"m wondering whether it's a concussion and the team is taking things really slowly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I can't recall a single instance in the past ten years or more where a player had surgery during the season and the team did not make any announcement to that effect.  At this point I"m wondering whether it's a concussion and the team is taking things really slowly.

Could be. Does anyone know if he is even skating on his own?

24 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Could be. Does anyone know if he is even skating on his own?

Chris Ryan had an update a little while ago:  https://www.nj.com/devils/2019/01/taylor-hall-still-absent-from-devils-practice-who-was-on-off-ice-after-bye-week.html

Hall has not played in a game since Dec. 23 while recovering from a nagging lower body injury, which was aggravated in that game. He continued to work out off ice over the break and he did skate for the first time on Sunday.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I just read that as “San Jose Sharts” and I now love that. 

I’d trade any of them, but i’d prefer it be to a more borderline team so the picks we get back are worth more. 

Except KK, I would take the Devil himself as a trade partner on that one. 

• Like 2

Didn't see this posted yet but yesterday Schneider gave up a goal :46 seconds in to Joseph Blandisi (lol) en route to going down 4-1. Bing actually tied it, and then naturally lost in overtime because Cory is just incapable of ever winning again. Stopped 24/29 shots.

in brighter news, looks like Mac is having fun tonight

https://twitter.com/BingDevils/status/1089697522711433216