GDT: Home Opener- Caps @ Devils 10/11 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

Just got home, some thoughts:

THE GOOD:

-Crowd was better than I expected considering the weather and the Giants game, great energy

-Loved the scattered MVP chants when Hall was announced

-Crowd really threw their support behind KK. Every big save you heard "KEEEITH!" reverberating through the stadium

Game could have easily been 9-0 or 10-0, tons of great chances. The Captain really got robbed off that Wood feed.

-Stanley Cup Champion Who's?

THE BAD:

-I sat in section 117 and the ceiling was fvcking leaking. 11 years old and the stadium is already showing signs of Nassau-itis

-fvck thunder sticks

-i miss Mike Brown

• Like 4

Oh my god that was fun!!!! I know it was a tired team and a back up goalie but it was a great way to open the arena. 

My thoughts that don't matter:

-Palms is a beast so far and Nico and Hall haven't even gotten started. That line should be special. 

-Zacha needs that Jobu doll from Major League stat. He's getting himself in the right areas and getting chances. 

-Loved the ovation when they announced Hynes. Possibly the loudest of the night including most of the players. 

-Cory is gonna have to work for that job. Keith wants it and it's a contract year. 

-Wood looks great. Zajac seems to have an extra jump this year too. 

-Stafford did amazing. He didn't miss the net once and he recovered a nacho drop that would have ruined his tie. 

-Hearing the ushers near 109-110 razzing Dancin' Earl because he didn't learn any new moves in the off season was hilarious. "C'mon Earl... do the robot or something! It's a new season!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Also, Zacha. It’s almost comical at this point how “snakebit” he is. I mean it’s ridiculous at this point. 

"Almost" continues to fit.  Was an encouraging game, but not the first time we've seen an encouraging game from him.

Great game to go to, Caps did look tired, but the Devils did exactly what you'd want to in this situation and then some.  Fun watching so many guys get on the board.  Just a fun night, period.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

"Almost" continues to fit.  Was an encouraging game, but not the first time we've seen an encouraging game from him.

Great game to go to, Caps did look tired, but the Devils did exactly what you'd want to in this situation and then some.  Fun watching so many guys get on the board.  Just a fun night, period.  

This was more than "an encouraging game". He was excellent out there. I honestly thought he was the best Devil forward tonight. Just a great game but couldn't get the finish on some and was absolutely robbed on others. he was on the puck all night and heavy on defense too.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

This was more than "an encouraging game". He was excellent out there. I honestly thought he was the best Devil forward tonight. Just a great game but couldn't get the finish on some and was absolutely robbed on others. he was on the puck all night and heavy on defense too.

He made a great 1 on 1 defensive play along the boards in the 3rd period where he was able to get the puck right away from a Caps player and on to his stick.  It's starting to happen for him, and some of those shots will go in (I still have no idea how Copley stopped the 2nd big chance he had).

• Like 4

Zacha went 13 for 15 on face offs tonight, and Vatanen only allowed Ovi and Kuznetsov 2 SOG when he was out there against them. Along with KK they were the Devils best players. And in a game where Palms scored twice that’s pretty impressive. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sundstrom said:

I didn't imply that he wasn't excellent...even though he didn't score, that was almost definitely his best game as an NHLer yet...he was terrific in all phases.  I've also never had a seat on the "Pavel's a bust" train (he's too young for that), and I've said elsewhere that I don't need him to be a finished product by the end of this season.  Yes, last night was VERY encouraging for sure, but at the same time, as much as I don't want to take a single thing away from the Devils, this did look like one of those "We're spent, not tonight" kind of games for the Caps (every team has a handful of those in any given season...in the NBA, they even sit down stars in such games).  Not that the Caps wouldn't have minded a win if the Devils were kind enough to have a bad game themselves, but when the Devils got up 2-0 in the first and then 3-0 early in the second (and the Caps probably took stock of the fact that they were facing a VERY well-rested Devils team prior to the opening face-off), I think they pretty much decided that they weren't going to kill themselves trying to stage a big comeback. 

Zacha had a Herculean kind of game and I'm sure as hell not expecting THAT kind of effort every time out (especially against teams with more in the tank), but let me see him continue to show hints of being that kind of player.  I'm rooting hard for him. 

10 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Just got home, some thoughts:

THE GOOD:

-Crowd was better than I expected considering the weather and the Giants game, great energy

-Loved the scattered MVP chants when Hall was announced

-Crowd really threw their support behind KK. Every big save you heard "KEEEITH!" reverberating through the stadium

Game could have easily been 9-0 or 10-0, tons of great chances. The Captain really got robbed off that Wood feed.

-Stanley Cup Champion Who's?

THE BAD:

-I sat in section 117 and the ceiling was fvcking leaking. 11 years old and the stadium is already showing signs of Nassau-itis

-fvck thunder sticks

-i miss Mike Brown

That's been an issue for some time now.  There used to be a spot around sections 131,132, 133 that leaked quite a bit.  From what I remember the current owners said years ago that the entire roof was pretty heavily damaged by Sandy and it was never properly repaired.  I guess they still got a ways to go but you would have figured they would have fixed it by now.

• Like 1

But overall, fun game to watch.  While all of our lines looked great, I still won't make a big deal beating a team who looked completely gassed on the second half of a back to back while starting a goalie who was playing in his 3rd NHL game.

Sunday will be a real test.  SJ will be more rested and will likely be pissed after losing to NYR last night.