GDT: Home Opener- Caps @ Devils 10/11 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The bottom post was one of the reasons that I wasn't ticked about this offseason at all.  I get Shero both wanting to see how some of his younger guys developed (both up here and in Bingo), and seeing how a guy like Johansson would bounce back this season...he missed a total of 10 games in the four seasons prior to this one.  I could understand Shero thinking that 2017-18 was a big-time aberration for MoJo.  And Zajac missed a batch of games too to start last year...hopefully he's able to stay healthy and put up 45 points or so this season.   

• Like 1

Just now, eaglejelly said:

We should raise a "Best mid October NHL Goal Differential" Banner

Pretty sure the Rangers would consider that, but they're still working on the design for their "1994 25th Anniversary SC Banner"...Messier is already tearing up at the thought. 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty sure the Rangers would consider that, but they're still working on the design for their "1994 25th Anniversary SC Banner"...Messier is already tearing up at the thought. 

I don't know why the Rangers care so much about 1994. As I recall, the season was canceled after the second round and no cup was awarded.

Although I do remember Vancouver playing a few scrimmages against a bunch of former Oilers that spring. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, sundstrom said:

This was more than "an encouraging game". He was excellent out there. I honestly thought he was the best Devil forward tonight. Just a great game but couldn't get the finish on some and was absolutely robbed on others. he was on the puck all night and heavy on defense too.

He played well. I didn’t mean to imply that he didn’t. But it would’ve nice for him to cash in on one of those many opportunities, especially early on. 

He was killer at face offs and one led directly to a goal. If he wants to do that every night and not get a point for it, I think I’m ok with that. 

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Preds took a page from the Rangers book. they raised a central division, president trophy and a western conference champion banners the other day lol

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

The Preds took a page from the Rangers book. they raised a central division, president trophy and a western conference champion banners the other day lol

The Division Banner is pretty standard...that one's OK.  The other two are highly questionable.  No one really cares about the President's Trophy (except about how little it means every time a PT winner falls well short of winning a Cup), and the Conference Banners usually commemorate the PLAYOFF Conference Champs.  The Preds might as well call that their "2017-18 Western Conference #1 Playoff Seed" banner.  Bleech. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Division Banner is pretty standard...that one's OK.  The other two are highly questionable.  No one really cares about the President's Trophy (except about how little it means every time a PT winner falls well short of winning a Cup), and the Conference Banners usually commemorate the PLAYOFF Conference Champs.  The Preds might as well call that their "2017-18 Western Conference #1 Playoff Seed" banner.  Bleech. 

Well to me it's the other way around.... if you won the president trophy..... OBVIOUSLY you won your division and your conference lol

I think what I really enjoyed about this game was that even though Washington clearly wasn't at their best, the Devils maintained pressure. I feel like Devils teams of the past tended to play down to opponents in this situations, while last night it seemed that they had a killer instinct I haven't seen from them in a long time. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think what I really enjoyed about this game was that even though Washington clearly wasn't at their best, the Devils maintained pressure. I feel like Devils teams of the past tended to play down to opponents in this situations, while last night it seemed that they had a killer instinct I haven't seen from them in a long time. 

I think this has been an unfair criticism at times...prior to last season, the Devils were not terribly good for a number of years, so it wasn't like they were really playing down to anyone, as much as they were a not-good team playing, well, not good.  Last season, I posted about how they did a lot better against non-playoff teams than many Devils fans would've guessed...I know you personally aren't as guilty of this as others, but too often there's a lot of "We should beat...", as though teams with middling to poor records should never ever beat a team above them in the standings...but that happens a fair amount over the course of a regular season.  To borrow and morph a common statement about baseball, but make it about hockey:  Just about every team is guaranteed to win 20 and lose 20, and then you've got the other 42 games.  So those bottom feeders are going to win 10 games or so that will have some saying "Huh...what the?" when they glance at any given day's scores.   

I think what we might be seeing is a Devils team starting to come into its own more, and gaining confidence, and chomping at the bit to build off last season, both as a team and individually.  Maybe a guy like Palms is suddenly thinking about 35-40 goals as a real possibility.  Maybe KK is thinking "Dammit, I really CAN be a starter in this league!"  And so on down the line. 

I loved that Hynes got such a nice hand last night...I think he's done a pretty damned good job, all things considered.  Hall seems to genuinely like him a lot.     

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think this has been an unfair criticism at times...prior to last season, the Devils were not terribly good for a number of years, so it wasn't like they were really playing down to anyone, as much as they were a not-good team playing, well, not good.  Last season, I posted about how they did a lot better against non-playoff teams than many Devils fans would've guessed...I know you personally aren't as guilty of this as others, but too often there's a lot of "We should beat...", as though teams with middling to poor records should never ever beat a team above them in the standings...but that happens a fair amount over the course of a regular season.  To borrow and morph a common statement about baseball, but make it about hockey:  Just about every team is guaranteed to win 20 and lose 20, and then you've got the other 42 games.  So those bottom feeders are going to win 10 games or so that will have some saying "Huh...what the?" when they glance at any given day's scores.   

I think what we might be seeing is a Devils team starting to come into its own more, and gaining confidence, and chomping at the bit to build off last season, both as a team and individually.  Maybe a guy like Palms is suddenly thinking about 35-40 goals as a real possibility.  Maybe KK is thinking "Dammit, I really CAN be a starter in this league!"  And so on down the line. 

I loved that Hynes got such a nice hand last night...I think he's done a pretty damned good job, all things considered.  Hall seems to genuinely like him a lot.     

I think the reason for that applause was because of last season's progress and that more fans got to see how he is in the locker room via the Behind the Glass program.  He does seem to push the right buttons with this group and Hall has gone out of his way to say he does so.  I think aside from getting Hall and Palmieri that getting Hynes is Shero's best "get."

I just wonder if he is indeed the coach to get us to the promise land though.  Coaches seem to all have expiration dates on them before they start to lose the room.  Happens to the best of coaches these days and even ones who win cup(s).  However, right now we are not quite at that crossroads yet so I guess I will worry about that later if and when we reach it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I mocked the sh!t out of the couple we’re friends with who are from Nashville for that... their response: “we’re trying to block that out...”

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Zacha, when asked to comment on playing with Johansson: 

5C77E9D8-E745-411E-A4C4-B8245AFCA215.jpeg

13 hours ago, Crisis said:

Zacha and Johansson look great together.  Maybe that's all Zacha needs to get going, someone like MoJo feeding him the puck.

Secondary scoring, so important!

• Like 1