2018-19 Prospects Thread

LittleBallofHate

10 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

I think he can still turn it around.

We were saying that too lol. 

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, its just an observation. We were saying it for 2 years at the NHL level, it didn't happen, and now he got sent down. Now we're saying it at the AHL level. How long before we say that the fact he can't score at a minor league level is an issue?

Edited by mfitz804

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

We were saying that too lol. 

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, its just an observation. We were saying it for 2 years at the NHL level, it didn't happen, and now he got sent down. Now we're saying it at the AHL level. How long before we say that the fact he can't score at a minor league level is an issue?

Yeah, I think that some time in the AHL will be beneficial as it could really help his confidence and find his game back. It's pretty much the last resort.

Edited by Devs3cups

B-Devs beat the team with the best record in the AHL, the Checkers, last night, 4-3. McLeod got 1st star of the game with a goal & 2 assists. 

Article: http://www.binghamtondevils.com/news/?article_id=340

Video: B-Devs goals start at the :50 mark (I get Veterans Day jerseys but those look like bloody cammo, just sayin): 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Nice comeback. Zacha wasn't in any of those highlights

Nope not last night's game... but tonight's another night! Still only the first period: 

Ian Pulz‏ @HockeyPulz  New goalie comes in for Utica and Binghamton immediately makes it 4-0. This time it's by Ramage. Zacha and Quenneville get the assists.

Now Gabriel gets on the board. 3-0 Binghamton now. Assist Sharangovich.

Ian Pulz @HockeyPulz  Binghamton is up 2-0 by a Studenic goal. Great speed by Zacha to create the chance.  Correction: Quenneville gets the goal. Assists go to Studenic and Zacha. Could've sworn it was Studenic's goal but here are. 

Jeff Ulmer‏ @Ski931Lappin (8) puts Devils in front on 1st shot of the night, 1-0 over Utica. #BingDevils

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Nice to see McLeod starting to step up a bit. And zacha adding assists is good too. 

I don't know of any AHL game logs, but I think that's seven points for McLeod in his last eight games...think he had just one assist through his first six games this season.

I'm not really expecting much offensively from either McLeod or Zacha at the NHL level, but yeah, at least they're doing something at Bingo.   

McLeod has 3 goals and 5 assists in 14 GP...good news is most of those have come in his last eight games.  

Q can be as productive as he wants in the AHL...been there seen that.  It won't ever translate to the NHL.

Question here, hoping someone can help me out lol. How ''hyped'' should we be on Boqvist? He seems like a pretty solid and legit offensive prospect putting up good numbers as a 20 year old in the SHL. Anybody have comments or insight on him? Part of me is pretty excited about him, but I feel it's mostly cause he was a second rounder and that his stats seem pretty good.

Edited by Devs3cups

On 11/11/2018 at 9:47 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

McLeod has 3 goals and 5 assists in 14 GP...good news is most of those have come in his last eight games.  

Q can be as productive as he wants in the AHL...been there seen that.  It won't ever translate to the NHL.

Neither of those is that exciting to me. I want to see a guy down there dominating, THAT's the guy we need to look at. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Neither of those is that exciting to me. I want to see a guy down there dominating, THAT's the guy we need to look at. 

I've never been a Q guy, and I'm even less of one now...I think Q's going to be a guy who will always put up solid AHL numbers, but won't ever do much in the NHL.  Your classic AAAA player. 

I'm not sold on McLeod by any stretch, but 7 points in 8 games is at least headed in the right direction.  His AHL sample size is still pretty puny...only 20 games with Bingo to date (9 points).  And he's still young...second-youngest player on the team.  But no, he's definitely not a guy who "excites" me. 

I have really mixed thoughts and feelings about McLeod.  On the one hand, I think his recent stats are promising, and I'd like to see him get some time with the big club, if nothing more than simply because it can't get much worse than it is now.  On the other hand, I'm sort of frustrated in that, as miftz said, he (or any other young talent that we should be excited about) should be tearing it up in the minor leagues if they're hoping to have a significant impact when brought up to the NHL.  With that in mind, am I alone in basically being astonished that McLeod may never actually sniff the NHL?  I mean, I don't see anyone talking about this, but he was a 1st round pick, 12th overall at that, and it seems like people are kinda indifferent to the fact that he very well could just fade away.  Don't get me wrong, he's still young and I'm by no means giving up on him, as I said I'd actually be fine with bringing him up for a few games, but we tend to throw out the worst "bust" on high draft picks pretty often, but a lot of those guys that we label as busts at least make it to the NHL and play games, they just don't put up the numbers as people had hoped and live up to the expectations.  That's not at all what's happening here though.  McLeod was taken 12th overall...TWELFTH.  If he never sees even one game of NHL action, isn't that a pretty huge gaff on management's part, and basically make him a bust?  I see people get so worked up about Zacha, but this hardly seems to get anyone's attention.  I don't get it.

Too early to say anything definitive about McLeod yet (though I admit I don't have a good feeling about him).  Not like any centers taken after him are lighting it up. 

If he's just starting to find himself in the A, no reason to rush him up here.  Devils have enough young kids up right now.  Let him try to build on what he's been doing there for now. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

McLeod was taken 12th overall...TWELFTH.  If he never sees even one game of NHL action, isn't that a pretty huge gaff on management's part, and basically make him a bust?  I see people get so worked up about Zacha, but this hardly seems to get anyone's attention.  I don't get it.

Honestly, I think Zacha was rushed to the NHL because we had nothing going on, and people have higher expectations of him because of that. I think expectations would still be there if he had been in the AHL all this time, based on his draft position. But I feel like its worse because he's expected to be an NHL level player despite his young age and the fact that he mostly skipped the AHL altogether. 

McLeod is also young but right now, everyone still thinks he's developing, whereas they expect Zacha, who is only a year older, to be a fully developed NHL player. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Honestly, I think Zacha was rushed to the NHL because we had nothing going on, and people have higher expectations of him because of that. I think expectations would still be there if he had been in the AHL all this time, based on his draft position. But I feel like its worse because he's expected to be an NHL level player despite his young age and the fact that he mostly skipped the AHL altogether. 

McLeod is also young but right now, everyone still thinks he's developing, whereas they expect Zacha, who is only a year older, to be a fully developed NHL player. 

True.  I guess the fact that neither of them are NHL-ready at the moment makes it worse.  With both of them being first rounders, and fairly high ones as that, you'd like to think guys hitting their 21st and 22nd birthdays would be close, yet it seems to be almost the opposite.  With Zacha, we've seen a pretty decent amount of him, and it looks like he's trending in the wrong direction; and with McLeod, we've seen almost nothing of him, and there doesn't seem to be much reason to believe we'll be seeing any more in the near future.

11 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

It's a really nice feeling to see our two top D prospects (other than Smith) achieving so much success so far in college this season, while the one Ray traded away (Rykov) seems to be struggling a bit with 2 points through 14 KHL games this season. I know this isn't the best measure of success, but I'll take anything to hate on a Rangers prospect.

Also, I was curious to see how productive Boqvist has been compared to the top SHL scorers (he is tied for 14th in the league currently). Leading the league in points, though, is none other than Devils legend Jacob Josefson. Mattias Tedenby is 4th. If nothing else, Conte sure was good at selecting SHL talent

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nessus said:

It's a really nice feeling to see our two top D prospects (other than Smith) achieving so much success so far in college this season, while the one Ray traded away (Rykov) seems to be struggling a bit with 2 points through 14 KHL games this season. I know this isn't the best measure of success, but I'll take anything to hate on a Rangers prospect.

Also, I was curious to see how productive Boqvist has been compared to the top SHL scorers (he is tied for 14th in the league currently). Leading the league in points, though, is none other than Devils legend Jacob Josefson. Mattias Tedenby is 4th. If nothing else, Conte sure was good at selecting SHL talent

That actually really pisses me off.  Those two fvcks, guys we had such high hopes for to be dynamic players in this league, are tearing it up in the SHL.  I know it's a far cry from the NHL, but I mean c'mon, why couldn't one of those guys pan out and have turned into at least a bottom 6 forward.  Instead they were both complete busts.

3 hours ago, nessus said:

Really is great. Add in Xavier Bernard and we have some depth of D prospects behind Smith. I'll admit that I am still feeling burnt from the high expectations of the Gelinas-Merrill-Larsson triumvirate solving all the devils D woes, so trying to temper expectations here with these guys. Still even if only 1 of Davies, Walsh or Bernard makes it that would be great. 

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That actually really pisses me off.  Those two fvcks, guys we had such high hopes for to be dynamic players in this league, are tearing it up in the SHL.  I know it's a far cry from the NHL, but I mean c'mon, why couldn't one of those guys pan out and have turned into at least a bottom 6 forward.  Instead they were both complete busts.

Right there with you, fella.. I've got a Tedenby jersey AND a Tedenby juniors Sweden jersey. Wish I could have those $400 or so back; no other way to view it besides a complete waste of money lol.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1