2018-19 Prospects Thread

LittleBallofHate

28 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

I am ++ on Seney, Anderson, Studenic and Sharangovich

I am  - - on McLeod and Blackwood

I know it's 2 games - but that is how it is feeling at this time.

Also - I really need a new Username.  

C'mon CMONPETEYD!

• Like 1

Binghamton played last night & this afternoon against Laval (both games were at Laval). 

Friday night (loss, 5-2, Johnson in net). Lappin & Bastian (3 goals in 3 games) scored. 

image.thumb.png.0acfae61c498f27c4d02e31f480efa3c.png

wrap-up: http://binghamtondevils.com/news/index.html?article_id=317

Bastian's goal:

Sat afternoon (win, 2-1) - Blackwood 1st star of the game, stopping 40 of 41. Studenic (3 goals in 4 games) & Lappin (4 goals in as many games) scored. 

image.thumb.png.bddf938786da11af99b893ea3556e3de.png

wrap-up:  http://binghamtondevils.com/news/?article_id=318

goals - Studenic: 

Lappin: 

Man I really hope McLeod can turn it around. Not that anyone who was drafted immediately after him is doing much better but you can usually get someone pretty decent around the 12th pick. Not trying to say he’s a bust or anything yet but I was hoping for a little more out of him. I had a bad feeling about this kid when he said he had no idea where NJ was.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Man I really hope McLeod can turn it around. Not that anyone who was drafted immediately after him is doing much better but you can usually get someone pretty decent around the 12th pick. Not trying to say he’s a bust or anything yet but I was hoping for a little more out of him. I had a bad feeling about this kid when he said he had no idea where NJ was.

It is an American misconception that people outside the US know a lot about US geography. I wouldn't expect someone from Canada to know where NJ was. There are a lot of states and it isn't like NJ is that notable except that it is near New York.  He is actually from Mississauga and I had no idea where that was. Turns out it's outside Toronto, so I think that is comparable. When I was in the UK the people in London had no clue where NJ was. Some thought it was on the west coast. Other than Kent, if someone asked me to name the areas outside of London UK I couldn't do it and I've even been there lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is an American misconception that people outside the US know a lot about US geography. I wouldn't expect someone from Canada to know where NJ was. There are a lot of states and it isn't like NJ is that notable except that it is near New York.  He is actually from Mississauga and I had no idea where that was. Turns out it's outside Toronto, so I think that is comparable. When I was in the UK the people in London had no clue where NJ was. Some thought it was on the west coast. Other than Kent, if someone asked me to name the areas outside of London UK I couldn't do it and I've even been there lol. 

For the most part I would agree with you but at the time the kid was predicted to go 1st round in the NHL draft. NJ had a lot of success while he was growing up so it just seems kind of weird to me that he wouldn’t know anything about it. I couldn’t even name you all of the (only 7) provinces in Canada but I certainly could tell you where each of the Canadian NHL teams were on a map. So to me it’s more about a hockey player not knowing where NJ is as opposed to your typical Canadian or any other foreign kid.

Edited by Jerzey

All this tells me is schools blow at teaching geography. I knew where Missassauga was when I was 9. If you live in a different country and you don’t know where NJ is, that’s really, really sad, and it speaks to how education seems to be getting worse. For God’s sake, all you have to do is LOOK AT A MAP, which you can literally pull up on your phone in two seconds. There is no excuse to not know where states or countries are in 2018. None. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

To be fair most Londoners don't realise anything exists outside the borders of London. 😀

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

Great to see Blackwood with a solid game. I'd love to see him build on that. And looks like Lappin wants back in the NHL! 

Lappin now has 35 goals in 69 games with Bingo, from the start of last season (58 points).  Looks like he's going to be one of those "AAAA" players that can put up nice numbers in the AHL, but won't see that translate to the NHL.  He'll be 26 on 11/1. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lappin now has 35 goals in 69 games with Bingo, from the start of last season (58 points).  Looks like he's going to be one of those "AAAA" players that can put up nice numbers in the AHL, but won't see that translate to the NHL.  He'll be 26 on 11/1. 

Yeah, it happens. Would've liked to see him work at the NHL level, but when Quenneville made the team instead of him, that said a lot about what they think of him. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, it happens. Would've liked to see him work at the NHL level, but when Quenneville made the team instead of him, that said a lot about what they think of him. 

He can have a decent career being one of those guys who comes up and fills in when a team is hit with injuries, for 10-15 games or so...the problem with guys like him is they're a little like backup QBs...he's one of those guys who some fans will find just intriguing enough to wonder "How come this guy isn't getting a look up here?"...then through circumstances he gets a chance, and 15 games and one goal and two or three points later, you're reminded why he's just a good AHLer (like Reid Boucher). 

Who knows, guys like him sometimes find their way onto a bad team and get to play a nice chunk of games with a big club.    

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

All this tells me is schools blow at teaching geography. I knew where Missassauga was when I was 9. If you live in a different country and you don’t know where NJ is, that’s really, really sad, and it speaks to how education seems to be getting worse. For God’s sake, all you have to do is LOOK AT A MAP, which you can literally pull up on your phone in two seconds. There is no excuse to not know where states or countries are in 2018. None. 

100% agree.

Fact is, the US public at large suck at geography.  They have sucked for decades now and we often (still) place near or dead last among westernized countries.  Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego came out in response to a survey in the late 80's that 1 in 4 Americans couldn't locate the (then) Soviet Union and/or Pacific Ocean.

I loved Geography in school.  That and history were my two favorite subjects and I actually got my degree in history (which I don't use) and I like to say I am pretty damn good at geography.  I will say that I have used my geography and direction finding skills far more in my life than other skills I learned in school.

• Like 3

I liked geography in school, but I only had geography class one year and we spent more time learning about India and the Middle East than about Canada. Before that, it was lumped in with social studies and after that year I had Civics then it became history(world, US, etc). 

Edit: To my surprise I just took a shot at the Provences and only missed 2. I still don't think I'd ever have known where Missasauga was. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

28 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

100% agree.

Fact is, the US public at large suck at geography.  They have sucked for decades now and we often (still) place near or dead last among westernized countries.  Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego came out in response to a survey in the late 80's that 1 in 4 Americans couldn't locate the (then) Soviet Union and/or Pacific Ocean.

I loved Geography in school.  That and history were my two favorite subjects and I actually got my degree in history (which I don't use) and I like to say I am pretty damn good at geography.  I will say that I have used my geography and direction finding skills far more in my life than other skills I learned in school.

Me too. Loved geography, history, social studies- by far my favorite subjects in school.