GDT: Sharks @ Devils 1:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

I was at the Jets game so I missed this one, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading the updates on the NHL app. Can't wait to see what they do Tuesday. Additionally, reading all of the posts here while knowing the outcome is kind of funny. 

And the Jets are trying to steal the 'woo' thing. Unacceptable. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Great come from behind victory. It didn’t look like we had it in us after the first two periods, then we came out and played our asses off. 

Would’ve been nice not to waste the 4 minute power play, but 4 minutes with Karlsson off the ice with only 8 minutes left was nice. 

Then KK closed the door on the final power play. We managed to hold them off and that is something you need to do, win the games you aren’t “supposed” to win. 

Wood did NOT go after Burns after returning from his injury. Can’t decide if that means he is playing with more discipline, or if he was just afraid of Burns killing him. Either way, I see it as a positive. 

I did note that the arena seemed about half empty despite the red carpet/fan fest festivities. I parked in the lot directly across the street, ran out at the end like I always do, and the lot was more than half empty (it’s almost always full). Not good. 

Obviously he read my post when I said that and didn’t realize I was kidding. 

At the arena, it looked like Wood dove, especially after looking at replays. But then the dude lost teeth? What part of Burns hit him?

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I so needed this win after my Bengals lost a heartbreaker today. Feels good to finally beat the Sharks. Crowd at the Rock sounded great on tv at the end of the game. Bet this was a fun one to be at. 

Crowd was exceptionally lively at the end, especially considering the attendance was low. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I was at the Jets game so I missed this one, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading the updates on the NHL app. Can't wait to see what they do Tuesday. Additionally, reading all of the posts here while knowing the outcome is kind of funny. 

And the Jets are trying to steal the 'woo' thing. Unacceptable. 

And the devils stole it from Carolina. There isn't much original content anywhere.

Went with my wife, daughter, mother and father...four rows behind the benches, right at center ice.  That was my mother's first hockey game in an actual arena since 1983...she absolutely loved it, every minute of it.  Just like my dad, she was blown away by how far the bells and whistles have come...she went on and on about how it's truly an "experience" now.  She definitely wants to go to another one eventually, when she's back in this area. 

About the game itself, everyone's pretty much touched on everything.  They were a bit lucky to be down by only one goal heading into the third, but fortunately the game was still within reach in spite of everything, and the Devils were able to pull it out.  One thing that's fun about being so close to the ice is that you really see how big some of these guys are.  Boyle and Burns are absolute beasts...even Boyle's head seems huge. 

So much fun watching Palms enjoying one of those fun runs that goal scorers can go on.  Feels like this is going to be his career year...most seasons, he'll have a shot at 30 goals as long as he stays healthy, but it just feels like this is going to be one of those years where he gets a little extra puck luck, and might have a shot at 35 - 40 goals.  Dating back to last season, he's now scored 22 goals in his last 36 regular season games...that's a 50-goal pace.  No, he won't ever score that many in a season, but he's really done a nice job exceeding expectations since coming here...he's averaged 31 goals per 82 GP as a Devil.  Hopefully whatever skeptics still remain (there were definitely some last season) now realize that this guy is a solid and proven NHL goal-scorer. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dating back to last season, he's now scored 22 goals in his last 36 regular season games...that's a 50-goal pace.  No, he won't ever score that many in a season...

Incorrect, he's scoring 164 goals this year. Otherwise you were pretty accurate!

And nice seats, my man. One of my eventual goals is to see a game right up against the glass, which is probably not as good a view as being up in the 100 level like I am used to, but still. Closest I have been lately is like 10 rows from the glass, and I had the same experience as you, they players are NOT in fact video game sized icons. 

And not for nothing, that dude Burns looked huge from the 100 level seats also. My 11 year old's comment upon seeing his picture on the big screen for the starting lineup? "What's wrong with that guy?". Indeed. 

11 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I know, just being tongue in cheek. I don't actually care who 'wooos'

My daughter did the entire Ric Flair speech from memory, to the delight of the drunk people nearby. 

• Haha 1

I really don't care for wrestling now but I was plenty into it when I was about 8-13 years old.  I hated Ric Flair back then because, well, he was a heel.  Now, I watch clips of him and I just love the hell out of that guy.  If I could go back in time at my age now to the late 80's/early 90's, I would be a huge Flair fan.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I really don't care for wrestling now but I was plenty into it when I was about 8-13 years old.  I hated Ric Flair back then because, well, he was a heel.  Now, I watch clips of him and I just love the hell out of that guy.  If I could go back in time at my age now to the late 80's/early 90's, I would be a huge Flair fan.

I live by this philosophy every day. 

27836119098_04d0a1391d_b.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Incorrect, he's scoring 164 goals this year. Otherwise you were pretty accurate!

And nice seats, my man. One of my eventual goals is to see a game right up against the glass, which is probably not as good a view as being up in the 100 level like I am used to, but still. Closest I have been lately is like 10 rows from the glass, and I had the same experience as you, they players are NOT in fact video game sized icons. 

And not for nothing, that dude Burns looked huge from the 100 level seats also. My 11 year old's comment upon seeing his picture on the big screen for the starting lineup? "What's wrong with that guy?". Indeed. 

My daughter did the entire Ric Flair speech from memory, to the delight of the drunk people nearby. 

Yeah those seats are a lot of fun, though obviously the better "see it all" views are from higher up.  What I love about the lower seats is being able to see and feel the sheer SPEED of the game.  Some of these guys can really friggin' fly. 

My daughter thought Burns was plenty scary...if he has kids, I'm pretty sure they never EVER do anything wrong in his presence.  I'm 48 and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do anything wrong in his presence either. 

My daughter thinks the Ric Flair stuff is hilarious.  I love when he throws in mini "woos" in mid-sentence.  Like DM84 alluded to (I was never into wrestling, but my younger brother was), I think RF is probably more endearing now than he ever was in his heyday. 

One thing that's really changed in the last 7-8 years or so is a lot of the Devils vids that are played before the game and during stoppages/intermissions are actually quite funny and clever.  A lot of the older stuff (especially the CAA days) felt kind of cringeworthy, almost a little embarrassing to watch.  It really feels like the Devils afford their fans a first-class experience at the arena, in almost every way (I would say the lone exception would be the condition of the bathrooms).  Lots of bells and whistles now, and in a good way.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My daughter thought Burns was plenty scary...if he has kids, I'm pretty sure they never EVER do anything wrong in his presence.  I'm 48 and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do anything wrong in his presence either. 

If he has kids, they probably work him the same way our daughters work us, regardless of the fact that he looks like a homeless pirate. 

• Haha 1