GDT: Stars @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Since when is shooting into the bench a delay of game penalty?

Or am I mistaken?

63.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a stoppage of play. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area. A minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed on any player who deliberately shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck outside the playing area (from anywhere on the ice surface) during the play or after a stoppage of play. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Shooting into the bench isn’t a delay of game. Hall was being smart and getting a quick whistle. 

I am dramatically confused.

Seriously I'm completely confused.  That's never been a penalty... like, the goalie can clear the puck around into the bench and it's not a penalty.

lol @ the NHL.  Officiating is completely inconsistent as usual.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

63.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a stoppage of play. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area. A minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed on any player who deliberately shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck outside the playing area (from anywhere on the ice surface) during the play or after a stoppage of play. When any player shoots or bats (usin

Mannnn that's a pretty liberal interpretation of the rule in this case imo.. he clearly was just trying to stop play to get the penalty to kick in.  Not delaying anything.. meh

"A player or goaltender intentionally shoots or throws the puck out of the playing area"

That was 100% a penalty

If you guys can't admit or see that Hall CLEARLY shot the puck in the bench there. You're wearing school bus size blinders lol I mean... why would he make that shot otherwise? Was not a pass, not a clear, not a dump in the offensive zone etc 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Seriously I'm completely confused.  That's never been a penalty... like, the goalie can clear the puck around into the bench and it's not a penalty.

lol @ the NHL.  Officiating is completely inconsistent as usual.

No intentional out of play has always been a penalty back after the lockout it was unintentional that was made an automatic penalty.

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

63.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a stoppage of play. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area. A minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed on any player who deliberately shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck outside the playing area (from anywhere on the ice surface) during the play or after a stoppage of play. 

This follows the passage you posted:

When any player shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck directly (non-deflected) out of the playing surface from his defending zone, except where there is no glass, a penalty shall be assessed for delaying the game.

So it shouldn't be a penalty if it's on the bench??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

"A player or goaltender intentionally shoots or throws the puck out of the playing area"

That was 100% a penalty

If you guys can't admit or see that Hall CLEARLY shot the puck in the bench there. You're wearing school bus size blinders lol I mean... why would he make that shot otherwise? Was not a pass, not a clear, not a dumb in the offensive zone etc 

There's "by the book" and then there's "practical application".  I've seen the puck cleared into the bench tons.. I mean it's got to be dozens if not hundreds of times.. without it being a penalty.

It's just not called.  Maybe the official thought Hall was being too cute here, but it just seems like a pretty nitpicky call imo.

Edited by Devilsfan118