GDT: Stars @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Bottom line, its fine to get excited about a good start, but its 4 games. As they mentioned last night, the last time we went 4-0 to start a season was 95-96, and then we promptly missed the playoffs as Stanley Cup Champions from the prior year. I was at that Ottawa game, and I still remember being absolutely shocked they lost and I still hate Ottawa to this day because of it. 

But, to me, the encouraging thing is HOW we won those games, most notably:

1) The defense has been pretty good, with the possible exception of the Sharks game where they got a TON of shots on goal. Andy Greene hasn't looked awful, Severson either, and aside from a few miscues last night, Mueller has looked pretty good too. 

2) The offense is getting it done without any goals from Hall or Hischier. Secondary scoring is something we lacked even last year, its part of the reason Taylor Hall is the MVP, he was doing it alone. 

3) KK has looked incredibly solid and is clearly ready to replace Schneider if he can't come back at a high level from injury, or at dead least, to share the workload. 

4) We completely dominated the reigning champs, came from behind to beat a 100 point team from last year, and also beat two teams we were "supposed to". 

5) Marcus Johansson hasn't had a concussion yet. Of course we haven't played the Bruins. 

We have a lot of reason to feel encouraged at the moment. But it's nowhere near time to talk about whether we're the "best in the East" or whatever. 

Not sure if I would've had the Oilers as a "should beat" team...they'd kinda had the Devils' number.  Was VERY happy to see the Devils beat them. 

Palms was scoring quite a bit too last season, especially once he was fully healthy and able to get into a groove (16 goals in his final 33 games of the 2017-18 regular season), but yeah, it definitely thinned out after Hall and Palms (Hischier did score 11 over his final 26 GP).  Hard not to be thrilled with the Devils going 4-0-0 with no goals from Nico and Hall for sure.  Still got Bratt lying in the weeds too.

42 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

My favorite part about Peluso posts are that they so quickly and unexpectedly fall off a cliff. It's like "yup, that makes sense, uh huh, wait, wait what? what the fvck is he even trying to say?" 

It's like if M. Night Shyamalan had tourrette's. 

Is he playing the character of Mike Peluso? I honestly can't tell.  His posts sound like he's been punched in the face a few too many times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure if I would've had the Oilers as a "should beat" team...they'd kinda had the Devils' number.  Was VERY happy to see the Devils beat them. 

I understand your logic.

But, they were a 78 point, non-playoff team last season. OK, we just made it in, but that was with 97 points.

In my opinion, that's a team we "should beat". 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I understand your logic.

But, they were a 78 point, non-playoff team last season. OK, we just made it in, but that was with 97 points.

Edmonton is a dysfunctional tire fire. We should always beat them. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I understand your logic.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Edmonton is a dysfunctional tire fire. We should always beat them. 

Yeah, but they're a team that's given the Devils fits at times...Devils were 0-1-3 against them over the past two seasons, which isn't awful-awful, but for whatever the reason the Oilers just had a way of making the Devils look bad.  I was very relieved that the Devils not only beat them, but did so rather handily.  Always nice to beat those damned "thorn in the side" teams. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Wait there’s no way that’s true. 2 seasons ago we beat them on Brodeur night didn’t we? And I thought we won by some bizarre score last year after being down 3-0?

2016-17:  Oilers win 2-1 (OT) and 3-2 (OT)
2017-18:  Oilers win 6-3 and 3-2 (OT)

Devils last beat the Oilers on 11/20/2015 prior to this year (won 5-1)

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

2016-17:  Oilers win 2-1 (OT) and 3-2 (OT)
2017-18:  Oilers win 6-3 and 3-2 (OT)

Devils last beat the Oilers on 11/20/2015 prior to this year (won 5-1)

Actually, that was a 5-1 loss on 11/20/15.

We beat them on 2/9/16 2-1, which was Brodeur night, as KitB alluded to.

2009-10 season: Sun Mar 7 2010 at Edm Edmonton 2, New Jersey 0        
2010-11 season: Fri Nov 12 2010 at NJ New Jersey 4, Edmonton 3 (OT)      
2011-12 season: Wed Jan 11 2012 at Edm New Jersey 2, Edmonton 1 (OT)      
2013-14 season: Mon Oct 7 2013 at Edm Edmonton 5, New Jersey 4 (SO)      
2013-14 season: Fri Feb 7 2014 at NJ New Jersey 2, Edmonton 1 (OT)      
2014-15 season: Fri Nov 21 2014 at Edm New Jersey 2, Edmonton 0        
2014-15 season: Mon Feb 9 2015 at NJ Edmonton 2, New Jersey 1        
2015-16 season: Fri Nov 20 2015 at Edm Edmonton 5, New Jersey 1        
2015-16 season: Tue Feb 9 2016 at NJ New Jersey 2, Edmonton 1        
2016-17 season: Sat Jan 7 2017 at NJ Edmonton 2, New Jersey 1 (OT)      
2016-17 season: Thu Jan 12 2017 at Edm Edmonton 3, New Jersey 2 (OT)      
2017-18 season: Fri Nov 3 2017 at Edm Edmonton 6, New Jersey 3        
2017-18 season: Thu Nov 9 2017 at NJ Edmonton 3, New Jersey 2 (OT)      
2018-19 season: Sat Oct 6 2018 at NJ New Jersey 5, Edmonton 2      

You guys are 100% correct.  And I'm 100% retarded.  I had the 2015-16 results flipped.  Even odder because I was friggin AT Brodeur Night.  Yet another senior moment, which I'm afraid increase as one gets closer to 50.  Dammit all. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

My favorite part about Peluso posts are that they so quickly and unexpectedly fall off a cliff. It's like "yup, that makes sense, uh huh, wait, wait what? what the fvck is he even trying to say?" 

It's like if M. Night Shyamalan had tourrette's. 

that's it. must have been all the big hits in high school...ya know, from a guy who actually played hockey...

21 minutes ago, mikepeluso8 said:

that's it. must have been all the big hits in high school...ya know, from a guy who actually played hockey...

100% agree.  We should definitely take your opinion in higher consideration than others because of your experience in HS and rec hockey.  You were practically an NHL'er!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

100% agree.  We should definitely take your opinion in higher consideration than others because of your experience in HS and rec hockey.  You were practically an NHL'er!

Rec?

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I coached several varsity programs, travel programs and the team I coached was state champions...so, the Halo crowd can just back off...thanks.