GDT: Devils at Gritty’s House 1:00 PM

Jerzey

18 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Next game won’t be any easier either. Preds are 6-1, and playing great. 

Don't know why I was nervous about today's game. Now it looks like for a good reason. Ironically, I'm not nervous about the Preds. Expecting the boys to play a strong game... Well...hoping.

Yeah, no one really played well - I'll give Vatanen credit for busting his ass because of how much he had to play, but I can't say he played well.  Taylor Hall played decent.  The team maintained its structure defensively - the Flyers did not get a lot of big chances.

A lot of guys on the team are dinged up.  Even beyond the guys who are out, I think Butcher and Vatanen aren't 100%.  Dea left practice early on Friday.  

Haven't seen a lot out of Miles Wood after game 1 here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

I was across the street for Temple homecoming (did have my devils hat on), so I didn't make or see the game, but there was a solid amount of Devils fans down here. 

I was at the game (and checking in on the Temple game from time to time - great comeback win for the Owls).  There definitely was a solid Devils fan turnout, probably the best I’ve seen at a road game outside the NYC metro area (which mind you only encompasses about a dozen road games). Some of the guys at my end of the arena (upper level north end where the Devils shot twice) started “Let’s Go Devils” chants several times (and one “Rangers suck, Flyers swallow” yell) before being booed out by the Flyers fans.

Edited by CHIP72
  • Like 2

I was at the game, and it’s kind of sad that the period in which the Devils played the best was the one in which they were out scored by 2 goals (mind you that was because of the 2 empty-netters).  They were pathetic at getting the puck out of their own zone in the first two periods.  They were also terrible on faceoffs; I don’t know how many clean faceoff wins the Flyers had during the game, but it was a whole bunch.  The only good thing the Devils did was block a boatload of shots; the Flyers probably should have had at least twice as many shots on goal in the first 2 periods as they actually did considering how they controlled the action.  Not a good performance all-around today by the Devils excluding the blocked shots.

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Didn't get to watch - was enjoying Rutgers actually playing a close game for once at homecoming - but the boxscore sure isn't encouraging.

I saw the dude for Rutgers called a fair catch on the opening kickoff, at the 1-yard line. That’s Peak Rutgers right there. And yes, the Devils were garbage today, so you missed nothing. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I saw the dude for Rutgers called a fair catch on the opening kickoff, at the 1-yard line. That’s Peak Rutgers right there. And yes, the Devils were garbage today, so you missed nothing. 

They changed the rule on college football kickoffs; a team can call for a fair catch on any kickoff that lands between the goal line and (I think) the 10 yard line (could be the 5 yard line, don’t remember), and get the ball advanced to the 25 yard line.  The rule is meant to reduce injuries on kickoffs.  (The rule is stupid IMO, and takes special teams play out of football to a greater degree, but it is what it is.)

• Like 2

Santini getting hurt early and all those damn penalties really hurt us today. I'm more annoyed they just didn't shoot the puck more cause Elliot is absolute trash and we should have been firing as much as possible at him. 

Ice seemed terrible too, puck was bouncing all over. 

I'd love to know what our overall record is for 1pm games. Feels like we lose the vast majority of these games. 

• Like 1

Just now, titans04 said:

Still waiting.......

Almost.

45411387281_1ae62b32cc_b.jpg

I still think people are higher on him than they should be. He has had flashes of adequacy, nothing more. People say that Bratt is trade untouchable, but nobody says that about Zacha.  

I’m not saying he’ll never be anything, but people still have him pegged as a future star with 16G, 35A in 145 games. 

I’ll believe it when and if he shows me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

45411387281_1ae62b32cc_b.jpg

I still think people are higher on him than they should be. He has had flashes of adequacy, nothing more. People say that Bratt is trade untouchable, but nobody says that about Zacha.  

I’m not saying he’ll never be anything, but people still have him pegged as a future star with 16G, 35A in 145 games. 

I’ll believe it when and if he shows me. 

Every 4-5 games he's make a good pass......yay!!

Flashes of adequacy :)

2 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

They changed the rule on college football kickoffs; a team can call for a fair catch on any kickoff that lands between the goal line and (I think) the 10 yard line (could be the 5 yard line, don’t remember), and get the ball advanced to the 25 yard line.  The rule is meant to reduce injuries on kickoffs.  (The rule is stupid IMO, and takes special teams play out of football to a greater degree, but it is what it is.)

Except the Rutgers player (an 18 year old true freshman, in his defense) tried to apply the rule after bobbling the catch and letting the ball hit the turf.

Soooooooo.. you can't do that :lol: 

Offense took the field starting at the 1 yard line.  Truly a great start.

Edited by Devilsfan118

What raises an eyebrow for me, ragerdless of start time, is two games in a row we played teams on normal schedules and got, for the most part, rolled. Our great wins last week were against Dallas and the Caps (on the back half of back to backs each) and San Jose (end of a 5 game road trip). I’d feel a lot better about this team if we got a solid 60, injury free, minutes in a game against a team on a normal schedule.

• Like 3

It wasn't a garbage game totally. We were in the hunt late in the game after playing mediocre for much of the game.. Wonder which D man will get called up? Bingo is sucking at the moment. (no goals in 2 games) and I'm sure there's concern from Dev's brass. Will they call up a center? 

They will be better prepared for Preds.

Wasn't like the Devils were going to keep winning every game.  Or keep outscoring opponents at a 17-4 rate.  Or continue allowing an average of one goal per game.  4-2-0 after six games...were they ever "supposed" to be 5-1-0 or better at this point?

And like someone else noted, three empty-netters are making the scores looks worse than they really are. 

If there's one thing that I like a lot, it's that Hynes is holding himself accountable, which makes it that much easier to hold others accountable, when the occasions call for it. 

Four days off to address some issues...and then we'll find out a lot through, well, a HELL of a lot of games to be played...no long breaks until mid-January.  Hope Zajac's not out for too long, and hopefully Bratt, when he does start playing again, looks like first-half Bratt.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I don’t think we were the better team in either game, but “rolled”? In the first game we had a 3-2 lead with 10 to go. Yesterday it was a 2-2 game in the third period. 

This reeks of hyperbole. 

Hynes said they got “punched in the mouth” two games in a row. They might not have been blowouts, but they were really bad in both. 

Edited by Nicomo

Just now, Nicomo said:

Hynes said they got “punched in the mouth” two games in a row. They might not have been blowouts, but they were really bad both nights. 

They were really bad and kept it close. That’s a step better than being really bad and getting blown out. 

Its still just a handful of games. There’s nothing to be worried about from 2 losses. Or to be excited about over 3 wins. It’s a long season. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

They were really bad and kept it close. That’s a step better than being really bad and getting blown out. 

Its still just a handful of games. There’s nothing to be worried about from 2 losses. Or to be excited about over 3 wins. It’s a long season. 

4 wins