GDT: Devils vs. Panthers, 10/27/18, 12:00pm

mfitz804

It's funny how if the Panthers don't score with 14 seconds left, almost no one is talking about the end of this game.  Yes, Florida was given a 200 to 1 shot to tie the game with 14 seconds left, but that's far from the most relevant events in this game.  

Devils PK is really special - Kinkaid was great on the PK as well - but they kill penalties very well and often get a scoring chance of their own on them.

I like Wood-Zacha more than Johansson-Zacha.  Not sure what that means for Johansson's continued role on this team.  

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri is one of the elite lines in this league.

Anderson didn't do too much.  Got involved on the forecheck a few times.  That line in general didn't do a lot.

25 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It's funny how if the Panthers don't score with 14 seconds left, almost no one is talking about the end of this game.  Yes, Florida was given a 200 to 1 shot to tie the game with 14 seconds left, but that's far from the most relevant events in this game.  

I like Wood-Zacha more than Johansson-Zacha.  Not sure what that means for Johansson's continued role on this team.  

Anderson didn't do too much.  Got involved on the forecheck a few times.  That line in general didn't do a lot.

The second goal is irrelevant, obviously. Sometimes you get scored on when the other team has more players. That’s the whole point of pulling the goalie. Moreover, this ongoing narrative of “the Devils can’t finish games” is funny given that it started while they had 2 shutouts out of 7 games. 

I thought Wood looked better playing with Zacha. Zacha still looked like Zacha. He reminded me today of the kid that used to be on your hockey team who shows skill in practice, but gets so nervous during games that he refuses to handle the puck and he just skated around trying not to make mistakes. Another “almost” on a wide open net again today. 

Anderson was filler today,  didn’t look bad, didn’t look good. Kind of what I expected for his first game.

to be fair to anderson - he played with boyle and rooney - tough to do anything with them.

he had one shift with zajac and hall that I hoped would do something but it was only out there for like 20 seconds on a faceoff that zajac lost and immediately went the other way.

wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot with wood-zacha but i don't see that happening.

I've been pretty happy with Severson and Mueller so far this season. They both look much more composed and comfortable out there than they did last year. They've also been quite good positionally, from what I've seen. Despite not being the flashiest of players, these are two guys that I've felt would be critical to the Devils' future success, and we are lucky that they've both had a strong start. I know there's more offense to Mueller's game, and it seems that it's only a matter of time before we start seeing that more regularly.

Given the observations that others have mentioned about Wood-Zacha, I would be in favor of experimenting with the lines a bit. I think Zacha could certainly benefit from a change, and maybe break out of his funk. With Bratt hopefully making his return soon, maybe they could try Wood-Zacha-Bratt, and then use MoJo with Zajac.

Also, I didn't realize Yakovlev was called up. I would have liked to see him in over Gryba.

• Like 2

Felt like more bad luck at the end of that game, than anything else.  Just glad some good opportunities that were missed didn't come back to haunt the Devils.  

And of course Zacha doesn't score on that chance.  

5-2-1 to start the season, I'll take it.  Top line is just a blast to watch.  Long trip coming up...if the Devils can get seven points out of it, I'll be ok with that.

And overall, good job by KK in starting every game and not falling on his face.  A pair of shutouts to boot.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And overall, good job by KK in starting every game and not falling on his face.  A pair of shutouts to boot.

And his save percentage is above and GAA is below his career numbers. That’s stepping up.