Sign in to follow this  
titans04

Zacha to Bingo

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

So with Stafford injured and Zacha in the AHL, who is the new official NJDevs whipping boy? I'm thinking Greene or Schneider. Dark horse Boyle. 

Greene, hands down. Worst player in the team by far. 

• Like 2

Worst???  Hmmm   sooo many to choose from...Any player not on the 1st line, save coleman and sammy... it's a weak team..in more ways than one..

• Angry 2

31 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Worst???  Hmmm   sooo many to choose from...Any player not on the 1st line, save coleman and sammy... it's a weak team..in more ways than one..

Zajac is pretty good (he’ll probably go down as one of the most underrated players in Devils history).

Severson is decent. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lazer said:

lovejoy says what

At least Lovejoy isn’t making 5 million a year...

• Like 1

As a major Zacha fan since he was drafted, I really think this the right move, and something that should have been done last season, when he first started struggling. I touched on this in another thread, but Zacha hasn't ever mastered a competitive league (AHL, OHL, etc.), and was expected to be a key piece at the NHL level from the start. He seems to have been carried by his draft position, rather than his actual accomplishments, which really is not his fault at all. That is in addition to the team's desperate need for a skilled center during a time when Scott Gomez had just been the team's top center. It has been clear to most of us that Zacha is developing at a slower pace than many other players, but then he was forced to speed that process up. Sending him down will help him refine all of these areas of his game that we've only been able to see glimpses of at the NHL level. Even if he had stuck in the OHL for an additional season to really iron out his game, that really would not have hurt his development. It certainly didn't for Barzal.

I just wonder if his window to blossom into a consistently effective NHL player has closed, and this move was made too late. Does this type of "window" actually exist? You look at a guy like Rantanen who had a full season in the AHL before playing his official rookie season. I'm not saying that Zacha would have ended up like him, but I think that sort of transition would have been much more beneficial for Pavel, and maybe could have prevented some stunting.

Let's hope he gets into a rhythm down there and finds his game. In that sense, I'm kind of hoping this isn't that short-term of a move. I'm certainly excited to see what kind of player he becomes at the AHL level. Maybe it's what he needs to become the power forward we thought we were getting at the 2015 draft.

As far as the new whipping boy goes, it seems that there are two main qualifications: not producing and being put in favorable positions to produce. It seems that MoJo could fit the bill, but with the new 2C spot opening up, Zajac has got to watch out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nessus said:

As a major Zacha fan since he was drafted, I really think this the right move, and something that should have been done last season, when he first started struggling. I touched on this in another thread, but Zacha hasn't ever mastered a competitive league (AHL, OHL, etc.), and was expected to be a key piece at the NHL level from the start. He seems to have been carried by his draft position, rather than his actual accomplishments, which really is not his fault at all. That is in addition to the team's desperate need for a skilled center during a time when Scott Gomez had just been the team's top center. It has been clear to most of us that Zacha is developing at a slower pace than many other players, but then he was forced to speed that process up. Sending him down will help him refine all of these areas of his game that we've only been able to see glimpses of at the NHL level. Even if he had stuck in the OHL for an additional season to really iron out his game, that really would not have hurt his development. It certainly didn't for Barzal.

I just wonder if his window to blossom into a consistently effective NHL player has closed, and this move was made too late. Does this type of "window" actually exist? You look at a guy like Rantanen who had a full season in the AHL before playing his official rookie season. I'm not saying that Zacha would have ended up like him, but I think that sort of transition would have been much more beneficial for Pavel, and maybe could have prevented some stunting.

I don't think he has developed that much slower than many other players, I think he wasn't that good to begin with which was indicated by his lack of scoring prowess vs his peers. I disliked the pick at the time (my tombstone will say "Wanted Mat Barzal") and he was one of two players I thought they 100% shouldn't take at that position (Crouse the other).  

Before the season I thought the reasonable scenario with him was a 3C going forward and I don't think that window has changed, but if people are hoping for more...well, I admire the positive mindset I guess-

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

I don't think he has developed that much slower than many other players, I think he wasn't that good to begin with which was indicated by his lack of scoring prowess vs his peers. I disliked the pick at the time (my tombstone will say "Wanted Mat Barzal") and he was one of two players I thought they 100% shouldn't take at that position (Crouse the other).  

Before the season I thought the reasonable scenario with him was a 3C going forward and I don't think that window has changed, but if people are hoping for more...well, I admire the positive mindset I guess-

This. I wanted Barzal or Provorov.  As soon as Zacha was selected I said to myself "here we go again". Zacha was thankfully the last bad selection brought to us by the pre-lockout draft genius. Of course now he and his former boss work for up and coming organizations while we were left to deal with the mess they created. 

Damn, and I was really hoping for a huge trade deal...... lol 

OK Mr Seney, your up ! See what ya got kid...............

This is a long time coming. Zacha has shown few signs of promise during his entire time with the Devils. There was just nothing he's done that well thus far, no standout skill where you were like, "Yeah, but that shot though." 

Good Hynes quotes from this article:  https://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2018/11/what_pushed_devils_to_send_pavel_zacha_to_ahl.html

But with Zacha and every other Devil, Hynes looked past the number and realized Zacha needed some work in the AHL to improve his future outlook at the top level.

"The draft is like wedding day. Then after, it's like real life comes in," Hynes said. "You've got to earn it and you've got to do it. For us, it's not about (draft position). It's about earning your spot and making sure you're ready to play regularly and make an impact."

__

"To scratch him one game and put him back in, we're still not in a position right now where we could rely on him in key situations, and that's what we need from him," Hynes said. "We think it's important that it's not, 'Hey, sit in the stands for one game and watch.' That is effective in some situations, but we need him to go down and play, and play a lot of minutes and play in situations and earn his confidence back and get his game back."

• Like 4

Wow didn't think they were going to actually do this. So did the only bring Gabriel up so he can tell Martin on the Islanders I'm back and get a fight against him? Lol 

• Like 3

A few more quotes from Hynes via MM.

Mike Morreale ‏Verified account @mikemorrealeNHL    Hynes on re-assigning Zacha to Bing: "His scoring chances inside the dots, in the hard areas, are right now non-existent. He has to be a more difficult player offensively in order to produce pts. The shot is a skill thing, but he's not putting himself in positions to use it."

Hynes said the Binghamton coaching staff will have Zacha in many situations: "He'll play important minutes; we'll have him play on the power play, penalty kill, 3 on 3, and in the shootout."

• Like 4

Hoping the best for Zacha, but you gotta produce to stay in bigs, specially a #6. Good luck....

all im hoping and the #1 key is that Zacha has the right attitude dealing with this. In this society where victim mentality is ever growing and even encouraged. It's preventing people from being able to self-evaluate themselves and really grow, if you think something is someone else's fault you won't address it from within.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

all im hoping and the #1 key is that Zacha has the right attitude dealing with this. In this society where victim mentality is ever growing and even encouraged. It's preventing people from being able to self-evaluate themselves and really grow, if you think something is someone else's fault you won't address it from within.

I was thinking the same thing. I hope Zacha goes into this with the right attitude and sees this as a growing experience and a necessary step rather than something that will be bad for his career and be mad at the organization. 

I like what Hynes said a lot. I defend Zacha plenty and while he's still young, the truth is if he played every game like he did in the home opener he wouldn't be in this position. I hope he understands how important this season is for his future. 

• Like 1

Zacha is playing in Bingo tonight - his projected linemates: 

Rob Lippolis‏ @RobLippolis   Zacha is in the lineup and will center Quenneville and Studenic.

30 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I like what Hynes said a lot. I defend Zacha plenty and while he's still young, the truth is if he played every game like he did in the home opener he wouldn't be in this position. I hope he understands how important this season is for his future. 

It will be interesting to see which way he goes.  He should of gotten the message already after sitting out a couple games plus I'm sure Hynes and Co laid out their expectations very clearly at the end of last season.  Yet he failed to show them anything so far this year. I truly think it's a lack of talent combined with  the expectations that come with being the 6th pick in the draft.  He's destined to fail imo and that's extremely unfortunate.

Edited by titans04

Welp wonder if he said this with a straight face?

And he has his first point... 

Jeff Ulmer‏ @Ski931  Studenic (5) breaks the tie as Zacha worked the puck from behind the net, 1-0 BDevils in the 3rd. #BingDevils

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Zacha got a point!

Not an NHL point, but 

45411387281_1ae62b32cc_b.jpg

• Haha 5

He led the team 6 shots last night, too. He's had 10 all season in the NHL (10 games). Although none of those 6 went in, I heard that at least 5 almost did.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2018 at 1:29 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

Good Hynes quotes from this article:  https://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2018/11/what_pushed_devils_to_send_pavel_zacha_to_ahl.html

But with Zacha and every other Devil, Hynes looked past the number and realized Zacha needed some work in the AHL to improve his future outlook at the top level.

"The draft is like wedding day. Then after, it's like real life comes in," Hynes said. "You've got to earn it and you've got to do it. For us, it's not about (draft position). It's about earning your spot and making sure you're ready to play regularly and make an impact."

__

"To scratch him one game and put him back in, we're still not in a position right now where we could rely on him in key situations, and that's what we need from him," Hynes said. "We think it's important that it's not, 'Hey, sit in the stands for one game and watch.' That is effective in some situations, but we need him to go down and play, and play a lot of minutes and play in situations and earn his confidence back and get his game back."

well said