GDT: Devil's @ Sens 7:30, MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I feel like we’ve been saying that a lot for the last season or two...

And the Devils' personnel hasn't really gotten better in that time - I know people here think highly of Sami Vatanen, but he's not very good.  The problem is that they're not executing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

That basically sums up my feelings. 

I think it would be tough for Shero to get rid of Hynes. And I am not even sure if he is the problem. 

The back end of this team is still a mess really. 

Cory must be getting really , really fed up now. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

That basically sums up my feelings. 

I think it would be tough for Shero to get rid of Hynes. And I am not even sure if he is the problem

The back end of this team is still a mess really. 

Cory must be getting really , really fed up now. 

You're gut feeling is right. This is not on the Head Coach at all; this roster is not good enough to win on a consistent basis. I was delightfully surprised with the first few games, but this is what you get with a one good line, one patchwork line, and then 6 other guys. As we've seen, the minute there is an injury or someone hits a slump, the roster is not up to par. One impact F and probably a D away from being a threat in the east.

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I've been raging about this since pre-season. This team need more discipline it's fvcking ridiculous. They constantly take dumb, bad penalties and at the worst time. We can't keep momentum

I don't know the stats but the team takes way too many offensive zone penalties, drives me absolutely crazy. 

• Like 1

Turned it off at 5-2, needed to get up early. Cory still has not regained his form, But what stuck out the most to me were those cross crease passes in front of our net and seversons head looked like a bobble doll, yes I agree you could say our forwards need to help out more but our defenseman have break that sh!@ up. It happened multiple times last night. Ottawa had guys planted in front of our net unmolested. That's Unacceptable. Its early but that is all mental aspect of the game. It was obvious we had a few players who were passengers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I tried to find actual stats to examine the issue, where are you finding the stats for "Goals For" for an individual goalie? I'm only finding the team stat. 

I was just going by what seemed to be the consensus.  It certainly felt like to me, and I think most people here, that, for whatever reason, whenever Schneider was in it, the team seemed to go flat on offense and not score many goals.

It was hard to find the stats, and it took some manual effort, but here is a site that lists every game last season along with the starting goalies for each, and the resulting goals for and goals allowed: http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/logs/NJD2017.html

I did my best to count them up, and here's what I came up with:

At the start of the season last year when both goalies were healthy, Schneider played 31 games and the team scored 102 goals while he was in net, for an average of 3.29 per game.  In that same timeframe, Kinkaid played 12 games and the team scored 36 goals, for an average of exactly 3 goals per game.

After Schneider got hurt and Kinkaid took over as starter around 1/30/18 vs Buffalo, he played 14 games the rest of the way, and the team scored 49 goals, for an average of 3.5 goals per game.  When Schneider returned at the end around 3/5/18, he played 5 games and the team scored 11 goals, for an average of 2.2.  Obviously that's a total of 86 games, so I must've messed up somewhere, but you get the point (the site lists games where both goalies played and the backup came in after the started was pulled - I tried not to count the guy who came in in relief, but I must've added them a couple times).

It's not as bad as I thought, but I feel like if you go back a season prior, the results will be similar.  I have a feeling if you go back even further, to when he was splitting time with Marty, it'll also be the same.  

10 hours ago, devlman said:

Doesn't matter who the coach is when you're trotting out the likes of Dea, Seney, Rooney, Anderson, Greene, Mueller, et al and expecting consistency. Shero needs to shore this thing up.

Dea, Seney, Rooney, and Anderson are all new, so I don't really think it's fair to blame it all on them and label them as lower tier players who shouldn't be on the team.  At least not yet.  And what's wrong with Mueller?  I think he's played fine defensively.  

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

For those who may have missed it last night: 

These guys are going to cost the HC his job if they keep this up.  Maybe not tomorrow, but in due time.  I think the players deserve their fair share of the blame for what's been going on lately. 

I'm guessing Shero is waiting to see Bratt get into the lineup, and then will give it a number of games to see where things stand.  Even though we've seen a couple of coaches fired already, GMs usually err on the side of patience.  And Shero has good reason to give this some more time...the Devils are only five points out of first.  It's not like they have some huge hole to dig out of.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was just going by what seemed to be the consensus.  It certainly felt like to me, and I think most people here, that, for whatever reason, whenever Schneider was in it, the team seemed to go flat on offense and not score many goals.

It was hard to find the stats, and it took some manual effort, but here is a site that lists every game last season along with the starting goalies for each, and the resulting goals for and goals allowed: http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/logs/NJD2017.html

I did my best to count them up, and here's what I came up with:

At the start of the season last year when both goalies were healthy, Schneider played 31 games and the team scored 102 goals while he was in net, for an average of 3.29 per game.  In that same timeframe, Kinkaid played 12 games and the team scored 36 goals, for an average of exactly 3 goals per game.

After Schneider got hurt and Kinkaid took over as starter around 1/30/18 vs Buffalo, he played 14 games the rest of the way, and the team scored 49 goals, for an average of 3.5 goals per game.  When Schneider returned at the end around 3/5/18, he played 5 games and the team scored 11 goals, for an average of 2.2.  Obviously that's a total of 86 games, so I must've messed up somewhere, but you get the point (the site lists games where both goalies played and the backup came in after the started was pulled - I tried not to count the guy who came in in relief, but I must've added them a couple times).

It's not as bad as I thought, but I feel like if you go back a season prior, the results will be similar.  I have a feeling if you go back even further, to when he was splitting time with Marty, it'll also be the same.  

So I guess "look at that stats" was just a catch phrase with no actual bearing on the situation outside of a 5 game period? lol

Like I said, its nonsense that people say that has no basis in actual fact. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

These guys are going to cost the HC his job if they keep this up.  Maybe not tomorrow, but in due time.  I think the players deserve their fair share of the blame for what's been going on lately. 

I'm guessing Shero is waiting to see Bratt get into the lineup, and then will give it a number of games to see where things stand.  Even though we've seen a couple of coaches fired already, GMs usually err on the side of patience.  And Shero has good reason to give this some more time...the Devils are only five points out of first.  It's not like they have some huge hole to dig out of.

I was going to say the same thing.  It's not a good look for coaches to say they're dumbfounded at that they don't have the answers, but at the same time I can't blame him.  What else does he need to do to motivate these guys.  By all accounts it seems like he's saying and doing the right things.  You can say you don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but we got a sneak peek at some of it this year with the Behind the Glass special series, so that's not exactly true in this case.  

I completely agree with you - it's probably not going to happen in the immediate future, but if this team falls short of expectations and by the end of the season is in the bottom 5 of the league, I could see Shero having something serious to think about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

So I guess "look at that stats" was just a catch phrase with no actual bearing on the situation outside of a 5 game period? lol

Like I said, its nonsense that people say that has no basis in actual fact. 

Haha, well not exactly.  I mean, I'm not sure when people started saying it, but if they started saying it around February of last year, then it's absolutely true. 3.5 is a huge difference from 2.2  Especially in today's NHL.   I'll try to look up the previous year and see if it supports the theory.

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I don’t think Hynes’ seat is hot YET.... but it’s starting to get a liiiitle toasty. Another couple weeks of inconsistent efforts like we’ve seen, and the heat could be turned up exponentially. Quenneville being out there doesn’t help Hynes’ case to hang around if the up and down performances continue. 

Edited by MadDog2020

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Plus the games in hand

Still to get crushed. Not just beaten but crushed and stomped on by Ottawa and Tampa (after 2 goal early leads) the late collapses against Detroit, Colorado, Nashville, Philly. Feels like we already have left too many points on the board. And there is no pattern. It happens against good teams it happens against bad teams.. And the goaltending is not good enough to bail us out. If we treat Kinkaid like a true starter he will show some major warts over time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I would think Ray waits it out a little longer before making a decision regarding Hynes, but the wrench in all this is that Q is now out there.  He will be scooped up pretty quickly and I wonder if that forces Ray to make a decision quicker than what he would like.

The other thing is Hall LOVES Hynes. If Hall loves the guy, and you wanna make sure he re-signs.... that doesn’t make things any easier.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Dea, Seney, Rooney, and Anderson are all new, so I don't really think it's fair to blame it all on them and label them as lower tier players who shouldn't be on the team.  At least not yet.  And what's wrong with Mueller?  I think he's played fine defensively.  

I think he’s been bad after a somewhat promising start to the season. He doesn’t belong on a 1st pairing. Even Vatanen looks to have regressed a bit playing with him.