GDT: Devil's @ Sens 7:30, MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Reeeeeeeeeeeee. 

I know that I don't know what offers were made. I do know that a significant amount of impact players were available this offseason and we added none of them. I don't hate Ray Shero. I don't think he needed to wave a magic wand to acquire any of those players. I think there was an opportunity to get better and I'm disappointed it didn't happen. 

Yeah but you're not acting "disappointed", you said a few posts ago that you're "not fretting, fvcking panicking"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

What magic wand would you have liked him to wave? You have NO clue what offers were made and moves attempted behind the scenes.

if we're only going to talk about stuff we know about, this is going to be one quiet fvcking forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'm making assumptions because, you're right, I don't know. To the extent of my knowledge, Ray Shero did not make the 2018 New Jersey Devils better than the 2017 New Jersey Devils. I love Ray Shero, but that my complaint. 

I'm also very sorry that you take "discussion" as "bitching". From my limited knowledge of the internet, I thought logging in to the website "NJDevs.com", a discussion forum for the New Jersey Devils Hockey Team, was the perfect place to engage in hockey discussion during an off-day during the regular season. 

I'm not blowing your phone up with texts. I'm commenting on a thread. Find the ignore feature if it's that annoying to you. 

I'm all for pointless discussion about the Devils on the internet, but I take repeating the same complaint in every thread as bitching.  And I will never, ever tell you to stop doing it.  This is literally the place for it.  But I'll still tell you that it's obnoxious after reading it 4 or 5 times.

Semantics aside, personally I'm not too upset about Ray standing pat over the offseason.  Like CR mentioned, the Devils have a couple impact players that didn't have a chance to get going as well as some rookies that needed to see some time with the big club, so filling out the roster with expensive UFAs when you have that many question marks can be detrimental.  The Devils aren't in win now mode so holding out a year to see how it all plays out, getting a better look at the future contracts that need to be given out, and making some moves this upcoming FA season seems a lot more effective.  Have you taken a look at the potential UFA pool?  It's delicious.  Granted a few extensions will be given out and some names will come off the list but it's certainly more appealing than this past summer's.

• Thanks 1

Looks like someone is just about ready to come back!

Based on the Devils' lines from practice, Bratt appears to be preparing to play in Friday's game in Toronto.

FORWARDS 
Hall-Hischier-Palmieri 
Johansson-Seney-Bratt 
Coleman-Zajac-Anderson 
Boyle-Dea-Wood 
Noesen-Gabriel-Stafford

DEFENSEMEN 
Mueller-Vatanen 
Greene-Severson 
Butcher-Lovejoy 
Yakovlev-Santini

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Context, boo. I said I was fvcking panicking that Taylor hall would leave us in a year. It’s the same way I felt about my girlfriend who was way too hot for me. That isn’t rational, it’s emotional and a little funny too. Ask mfitz how I feel about Taylor.

He's got funny lips, he's not too hot for you. 

3 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I've said since the beginning of the year, even when we were 4-0, Shero had an opportunity to make a fringe playoff team better and he didn't. I don't care what the reasons are, that is a fact and it's a sh!tty one. 

Again, it’s implying that it’s Shero’s fault and that the direction he did take was not allowing the team to become better. Other posters have listed the names we missed out on and none of them were big swing and misses given the costs and reasons attached to them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Again, it’s implying that it’s Shero’s fault and that the direction he did take was not allowing the team to become better. Other posters have listed the names we missed out on and none of them were big swing and misses given the costs and reasons attached to them.

Look at the lines above...is Seney now our 2nd line center?? 4 guys on that list probably don't belong in the NHL/wouldn't have a job elsewhere? Kurtis Gabriel?

I mean, sure, maybe we don't get Erik Karlsson or John Tavares...but at least make some kind of move to improve the team. Dea and Gabriel and bringing up bodies from the AHL is not that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Look at the lines above...is Seney now our 2nd line center?? 4 guys on that list probably don't belong in the NHL/wouldn't have a job elsewhere? Kurtis Gabriel?

I mean, sure, maybe we don't get Erik Karlsson or John Tavares...but at least make some kind of move to improve the team. Dea and Gabriel and bringing up bodies from the AHL is not that. 

i would bet that zajac sees more time than seney (maybe not 5v5 but i wouldn't be surprised about that either) - don't get wrapped up in lines 2 and 3 and where they're listed on amanda's list. zajac plays in all situations and coleman plays PK. Johansson is only PP2. I would also bet that if seney doesn't start producing and actually driving play that he won't be long for the team anyway. it's admittedly a small sample size but cordell showed how seney hasn't touched zacha's possession numbers in any facet of the game. and i'm not saying that zacha shouldn't have been sent down. but seney hasn't really been much of anything since he's been here for a couple of games.

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

this. 

10 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

You don't think Statsny or JVR would be an upgrade at 2nd line center over (looks at todays lines) Brett fvcking Seney?

They absolutely would be an upgrade but they didn’t want to come. Our team has some holes right now. But am I going to kill Shero for not getting JVR or Stastny given they didn’t want to come here? No, how can I fault him for that. He gambled with Zacha improving and Bratt has been out w a freak injury. Now we are running out unproven kids and I trust Shero will rectify in due time.

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed and I’m sure he will. It’s only early November seeing everything shake out and fall on the wrong side for us. 

14 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

So people are going to say I "didn't know what happened" but you're allowed to make this completely baseless accusation?

Go back to the off-season thread before assuming I’m making stuff up like you do. Shero was directly quoted as saying they made a competitive offer for JVR but he wanted Philly. It’s also no secret Tavares and Karlsson didn’t have us as one of their desired destinations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Bingo.  Well said.

SOMETHING would've been better than the absolute nothing we got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bingo.  Well said.

SOMETHING would've been better than the absolute nothing we got.

To be fair, many times Lou got a lot of flack for just signing SOMEONE, which got us players like Clowe and Ryder. Sometimes it's best to stand pat and see what you have. I think Shero is evaluating, which is why he's brought up so many different players to give them NHL time. He doesn't seem like the type to force a move. 

17 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

To be fair, many times Lou got a lot of flack for just signing SOMEONE, which got us players like Clowe and Ryder. Sometimes it's best to stand pat and see what you have. I think Shero is evaluating, which is why he's brought up so many different players to give them NHL time. He doesn't seem like the type to force a move. 

I almost feel like he did with Grabner.  That lost a 2nd round pick for basically nothing.

18 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’ll give you Clowe because of the injury history, though when he was healthy enough to play he wasn’t bad for us. He just wasn’t healthy often. 

Ryder was 3rd on our team in goals the first year, even though he only scored two after mid January. Then he crapped out and was soon therefore retired. That falls into the category of taking a shot and the guy not panning out, like Grabner. 

I suspect he wasn’t healthy, which is likely since he retired. But also, he played during the time when our offense was sh!t. He was sh!tty on a miserable team, barely an NHL level roster. So he’s probably not solely to blame. 

7 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I almost feel like he did with Grabner.  That lost a 2nd round pick for basically nothing.

Tbf Shero couldn’t have predicted how bad Grabner was after coming over. On paper he added a 25+ goal scorer for a playoff push. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, lazer said:

dea is like grabner 2.0

How so? He came in having played 6 NHL games, to be a bottom 6 (possibly bottom 3), Grabner was a veteran who had 3 consecutive 27 goal seasons, including 25 at the time he was acquired.

I don’t see a parallel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll give you Clowe because of the injury history, though when he was healthy enough to play he wasn’t bad for us. He just wasn’t healthy often. 

Ryder was 3rd on our team in goals the first year, even though he only scored two after mid January. Then he crapped out and was soon therefore retired. That falls into the category of taking a shot and the guy not panning out, like Grabner. 

I suspect he wasn’t healthy, which is likely since he retired. But also, he played during the time when our offense was sh!t. He was sh!tty on a miserable team, barely an NHL level roster. So he’s probably not solely to blame. 

Oh, I defended both signings when they happened for the reasons you mentioned. I'm just saying sometimes no moves is the right move. I truly think Shero wants to see what he has here. I think he knows we barely made the playoffs last year on a miracle run and he wants to see what kind of team he really has. Shero isn't worrying about April 2019. I believe he's looking further ahead.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Oh, I defended both signings when they happened for the reasons you mentioned. I'm just saying sometimes no moves is the right move. I truly think Shero wants to see what he has here. I think he knows we barely made the playoffs last year on a miracle run and he wants to see what kind of team he really has. Shero isn't worrying about April 2019. I believe he's looking further ahead.

I I think he’d have to be. 

12 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

You just named 1 report of one single guy not wanting to come here in a quote and then applied that to every other free agent on the market? 

This wasn't exactly a barren pumpkin patch, kid. JVR was an example, not the example.

No offense my man but I don't see this even a little bit. The Grabner we were hoping for was a borderline 30-goal scorer who can take the top off the defense pretty easily with his speed. 

Firstly, It’s not my job to go give you reports. Follow the off-season next time. We don’t have many pieces to make deals anyway. Secondly, i gave you three who we are pretty certain didn’t want to come here. Again, if you want to criticize Shero on November 9 for having faith in Zacha, not forseeing Bratt’s freak injury by not signing the overrated and often-injured Statsny then you’re just someone who wants to complain to complain.