GDT: Road Trip from Hell, Part 7 - Devils @ Jets

jagknife

It’s sad to see Schneider in the form that he’s currently in. We obviously wonder if he’ll ever bounce back to the Schneider that was stealing this team wins when the offense couldn’t score more then two goals a game. What really sucks is we wouldn’t even get any kind of a return for him in a trade right now either. 

29 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He’s the Rick Ankiel of goaltenders. It’s brutal to think of much of a sure thing, for the most part, he was when we sucked. But now that we’re winning more often and can really use that old Cory, he’s an absolute headcase and is anything but consistent.

I agree with Tri in that I don't think "headcase" when I think of Cory...the word that comes to mind more is "shaken".  Tri is right in that we don't know how much he's been hampered physically (or if he's truly recovered enough), and I'm sure he's been affected mentally by not being sure about what he's truly capable of...not in a headcase kind of way, more in a lost-confidence way.  It must be incredibly shocking to have a gift almost all your life, and then suddenly just like that, it's seems like it's gone, flat-out taken away from you...no slow decline, just gone.  And even worse, the way the Devils are playing right now, it's not like they can minimize good scoring chances and give a player in Cory's position a chance to breathe and maybe start to build a little something...damn near right away it's "Here we go again."  I really do feel for the guy. 

45 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

As part of his 7 year, $42 mil guaranteed contract, Cory will earn $6 mil per season from now until 2022. That's 4 more years of paying a goalie top dollar who gives up at least 4 goals a game.

Oy vey... 

That certainly seems to be helping that ax you have been grinding about Cory for years now.

• Like 1

@Triumph @Colorado Rockies 1976

Rather than quote both in a long post, figured just @ you guys.

“headcase” May have been a bit of a strong word, but I definitely agree his confidence is shot. Between the injury and his just bad breaks, he has definitely has lost a lot of the swagger he had in the beginning with us where he’d bounce back quick after bad goals or even a bad game. The resiliency of his game needs to come back. If it does, I think we’d get our top 10 netminder back. If not, it’s going to be painful.

30 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That certainly seems to be helping that ax you have been grinding about Cory for years now.

Not grinding any axe. And for years? Not sure I follow you. I don't get off on bashing the guy, just stating what his contract pays and per his performance it's not a great ROI right now.

I wish Cory would bounce back but his confidence seems shot since last year and it's not the best scenario to have to pay $6 mil on a starting goalie who cant stop more than 5 pucks a game. If he regains his form I'll be the first to applaud and eat crow. But the way things are looking, the only way out is for the D to finally shore up and allow Cory or KK some time to breathe. 

59 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Not grinding any axe. And for years? Not sure I follow you. I don't get off on bashing the guy, just stating what his contract pays and per his performance it's not a great ROI right now.

I wish Cory would bounce back but his confidence seems shot since last year and it's not the best scenario to have to pay $6 mil on a starting goalie who cant stop more than 5 pucks a game. If he regains his form I'll be the first to applaud and eat crow. But the way things are looking, the only way out is for the D to finally shore up and allow Cory or KK some time to breathe. 

Up until last night, I was on board with Cory and KK splitting time. As of now, I am totally ok with giving KK the starting role and making Cory his backup, even if he's a $6 million backup.

I feel like a $6m backup goalie is better than a $6m starter fvcking up all of our games. You have to pay him either way, let him get paid for not fvcking up games. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 6

Really glad I didn't bother watching this last night. I didn't know the score but I wasn't expecting a good outcome and I didn't want to come down from the high of being at the Red Bulls win last night that advanced them to the Eastern Conference Finals to face Atlanta so I saved the game for tonight and just finished it. Just feel bad for Cory at this point, it feels like he's never going to get a win. 

I have been to a lot of sporting events in my life and last night is easily in the top 10 craziest crowds I've ever been in. The crowd was absolutely rabid and I loved it and I'm so happy I didn't watch this mess of a game last night and have it dampen my mood. 

I'll be in Atlanta for the first leg, just haven't figured out if I'm flying or driving but probably going to sell or use a buyback for the Islanders game on the Friday before because this team certainly isn't worth missing an extra day in Atlanta at this point.

Check it out... 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Really glad I didn't bother watching this last night. I didn't know the score but I wasn't expecting a good outcome and I didn't want to come down from the high of being at the Red Bulls win last night that advanced them to the Eastern Conference Finals to face Atlanta so I saved the game for tonight and just finished it. Just feel bad for Cory at this point, it feels like he's never going to get a win. 

I have been to a lot of sporting events in my life and last night is easily in the top 10 craziest crowds I've ever been in. The crowd was absolutely rabid and I loved it and I'm so happy I didn't watch this mess of a game last night and have it dampen my mood. 

I'll be in Atlanta for the first leg, just haven't figured out if I'm flying or driving but probably going to sell or use a buyback for the Islanders game on the Friday before because this team certainly isn't worth missing an extra day in Atlanta at this point.

Check it out... 

Hopefully they can sell out the conf final.

Crowd looked and sounded legit. I was at a soccer bar in Toronto watching with a few other Devils and RBNY fans, we got them to turn on the sound, the fanbase really brought it and you can tell it was a big game atmosphere. RBNY-Atlanta is going to be one for the ages, and whoever wins is probably winning MLS Cup.