Devils Pride 26

Schneider: done or finished?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Schneider: done or finished?

• Done
    • Finished

I'll take

C) none of the above

Because if this situation is Chris Terreri (KK) and Sean Burke (Cory) all over again, that's pretty depressing.  KK has turned himself into a passable #1 (especially since it's easy to look better than you are when Cory's played the way he's played in general), and I give Keith major kudos for at least becoming someone who you're not afraid to see get #1-type minutes when the situation calls for it.  But just like Terreri, KK has limitations...you'll only go so far with him if he's your by-default #1.  So I really hope that Cory has some good hockey left in him, because if he doesn't, we'd better hope like hell that Mackenzie Blackwood's progress with Bingo this year is very much for real. 

• Like 2

While it's depressing that Cory is not playing to the level he uses to... that's just the thing with goalies. And why Marty was so special, he was not always the best goalie in the league but he was always up there and reliable.

I mean, just look at Carey Price right now. He's paid 10.5 million a year and he has a .904 save %. Last year .900. And he has .906 average since December 2016. That guy was on top of the world not long ago. Same with ryan miller. he was amazing, then was average, then people wondered if he was done, now he's fine. Goalies are generally not consistent.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

While it's depressing that Cory is not playing to the level he uses to... that's just the thing with goalies. And why Marty was so special, he was not always the best goalie in the league but he was always up there and reliable.

I mean, just look at Carey Price right now. He's paid 10.5 million a year and he has a .904 save %. Last year .900. And he has .906 average since December 2016. That guy was on top of the world not long ago. Same with ryan miller. he was amazing, then was average, then people wondered if he was done, now he's fine. Goalies are generally not consistent.

I hear what you're saying, but Cory has really REALLY fallen off...this was a guy who'd put together .940ish runs when he got hot, and that was for some rotten Devils teams to boot.  I get a guy like Cory maybe having a .905-.910ish kind of season (which is why I gave him a pass for 2016-17 at the time), but he's been an .864ish guy over 16 regular season games, dating back to last season...the game he just had was the first time he's been over .900 for that entire stretch.  It's one thing to be meh, but he's been bad even by 1980s standards.  Hopefully this is some kind of crazy anomaly we'll all look back on and say, "Wow, how did Cory ever suffer through a run like that?!  Thank God he got it going again!" 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

His play has fallen off a cliff.  He looked good for 90% of yesterday, though, which is encouraging.  Shame the damn team couldn't get him some freakin goals.

I'm wondering if he still just hasn't gotten up to "game speed".  

I think the Canes will look back on that game and say that they missed the net too many times, and probably would've like to have gotten more SOG...they probably feel like they let Cory off a little too easy after the two quick strikes.  Right now if I'm facing Cory I'm not thinking that I have to get fancy to beat him...until he shows that he can stop pucks consistently at an acceptable rate, I just do everything I can to get the shot on net.  I think his confidence is so shaken right now, he's probably pleasantly surprised when some shots aren't behind him. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Don't know why this team doesn't give CS as much goal support KK gets. Dilemma is KK gets you a better shot at a win, Cory needs more activity to get his mojo back. I really believe Schneids will be back. 

57 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Don't know why this team doesn't give CS as much goal support KK gets. Dilemma is KK gets you a better shot at a win, Cory needs more activity to get his mojo back. I really believe Schneids will be back. 

If Cory needs his mojo back, what does MoJo need?

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

His play has fallen off a cliff.  He looked good for 90% of yesterday, though, which is encouraging.  Shame the damn team couldn't get him some freakin goals.

I'm wondering if he still just hasn't gotten up to "game speed".  

By my math, it was 99.992% good, 0.008% bad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I hear what you're saying, but Cory has really REALLY fallen off...this was a guy who'd put together .940ish runs when he got hot, and that was for some rotten Devils teams to boot.  I get a guy like Cory maybe having a .905-.910ish kind of season (which is why I gave him a pass for 2016-17 at the time), but he's been an .864ish guy over 16 regular season games, dating back to last season...the game he just had was the first time he's been over .900 for that entire stretch.  It's one thing to be meh, but he's been bad even by 1980s standards.  Hopefully this is some kind of crazy anomaly we'll all look back on and say, "Wow, how did Cory ever suffer through a run like that?!  Thank God he got it going again!" 

of course but I'm also talking about a guy who was called the best goalie in the world and won a vezina... and now his stats are equal or worst than Schneider and paid way more. 

That's more my angle... at least we're not paying him 10.5 millions for another 7 years...

• Like 1

I don't know what to think about Cory anymore... I've been his biggest apologist for a while now. But even I'm out of answers here.

Sure, he was pretty good for 59 out of 60 minutes yesterday, but it's like the team comes out over-thinking everything when he's in the lineup, and that's never good. He's got to figure out how to make a statement and save one of those first 2 goals in the first 30 seconds. Neither of them were "his fault", but if you're Schneider, you've got to play for the survival of your career essentially. Rob one of those goals; your career, or at least the fans' and league's perception of your career, depends on it.

He may just need a change in scenery, New Jersey has not been kind to him, dating back to the 2-3 season he was playing like a top-5 goalie in the league and putting up elite numbers, but not getting wins (1-0 and 2-1 losses). But what could he possibly be worth in a trade? I don't know.

I feel bad for him, but I don't know what the problem OR the fix is.

2 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

if you're Schneider, you've got to play for the survival of your career essentially.

Not really.. if you think about it, he's guaranteed to get his $6 mil/year for the next 3 years regardless of how he performs. It's not like he's in jeopardy of being cut and missing out on any salary.  In fact, he could literally lose every game from now until 2021 and still get paid. I'm not hoping that happens of course. But there are other guys who should be more worried than Cory is.  

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think the greater concern may be, who else will be here next year? Is KK going to re-sign for a backup/tandem role? How much is he going to be able to command? Can we still afford him while having a $6m backup?

No he wont, esp he will get a starters offer from another team.  Hes shown hes 1. Much better then a backup. 2. Is better then pre injured cory.  3. Routinely makes the clutch saves, something which cory could never do.

Sv% is a useless stat as every shot counts the same.  

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Also while im not confident at all. We also all thought KK was done, and was not NHL quality at all last season. And now we're all more confident in him than an established #1 (well you know...)

So i guess... you just never know

I was the only one who said kk was good back when he didnt put everything together. 

It is a real shame, but I’m not at all surprised.  I posted this THREAD back in 2015 and was eviscerated.  It was basically the last time I created a topic (I don’t need any more strangers being a$$holes to me).  I argued then that this team was not going to be a contender before CS was no longer a top level goalie.  Consequently, why not trade him for some younger, longer term talent that will be part of the building pieces going forward.  I don’t know what we might have gotten for CS back in 2015, but it is a helluva lot more than we will get now.  

Frankly, if we had traded CS for just about any decent talent we would be much better off.  A defenseman?  We need that.  A forward?  We could use depth and it might have freed up a draft pick to use on our anemic looking defensive group.  Or maybe some draft picks.  Who knows, maybe we draft a goalie who will be with us when the Devils are truly ready for a cup run in a few years.  As it is, we got nothing.....  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AEWHistory said:

It is a real shame, but I’m not at all surprised.  I posted this THREAD back in 2015 and was eviscerated.  It was basically the last time I created a topic (I don’t need any more strangers being a$$holes to me).  I argued then that this team was not going to be a contender before CS was no longer a top level goalie.  Consequently, why not trade him for some younger, longer term talent that will be part of the building pieces going forward.  I don’t know what we might have gotten for CS back in 2015, but it is a helluva lot more than we will get now.  

Frankly, if we had traded CS for just about any decent talent we would be much better off.  A defenseman?  We need that.  A forward?  We could use depth and it might have freed up a draft pick to use on our anemic looking defensive group.  Or maybe some draft picks.  Who knows, maybe we draft a goalie who will be with us when the Devils are truly ready for a cup run in a few years.  As it is, we got nothing.....  

Wow...I’m glad some of those people don’t post here anymore. Also nice to see that a lot of those that do were the more level headed ones that actually defended your thread, or were at least civil about it.  

Funny that someone said they’d trade Cory for Hall. lol

• Like 2