GDT: Islanders at Devils, 4pm Eastern

jagknife

The only team we play consistently well against is Pittsburgh.  Every other opponent is a crap shoot sans St. Louis, with Tampa being the only team this season that regularly beat our ass in.. But regarding equally skilled opponents, so far the Islanders and Red Wings seem to have our number. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Obviously not one of Palms' finer nights by any stretch, but funny how suddenly he's this turnover-prone zilch who can't skate...doesn't take much for people to turn on players here.

its actually amazing to go through GDT of games we win... and then go through one of when we lose. And see the same posters being on completely different spectrum lol 

13 hours ago, jagknife said:

Greene caught cement footed yet a-fvcking-gain

One thing you'll often find with head coaches (in MANY sports) is that there's always an aging, well-past-his-prime vet or two who gets treated as though he's much better than he is.  We saw that with Marty during his last season here, even when there was clearly a much better option at the time in Cory.

Greene is obviously that guy here, and at times it's really maddening.  I think Hynes has done a solid job holding most players accountable (it's not as easy to do as many think, and as a Met fan I can tell you that some teams don't even seem to attempt it), but I remain baffled as to why Greene doesn't EVER seem to be held accountable for anything.  Is it because he's the captain?  Because the Devils don't have that ready-made youngster who can play like a younger Greene did? 

This won't ever happen, but I really wouldn't mind seeing Larsson back with the Devils.  He could be a young vet, steadying kind of presence on the blue line...of course since Edmonton wouldn't get anything near what they gave up to get him, it's just a pissing in the wind kind of dream on my part.  But really hoping this is Greene's last season here, because man does he piss me off a lot.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

its actually amazing to go through GDT of games we win... and then go through one of when we lose. And see the same posters being on completely different spectrum lol 

Do you enjoy being judgmental and argumentative more than you actually enjoy talking hockey here? Because it kind of seems that way to me at times. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Do you enjoy being judgmental and argumentative more than you actually enjoy talking hockey here? Because it kind of seems that way to me at times. 

I don't enjoy that actually. I'd rather be able to talk hockey will levelheaded people all day. But the internet doesn't offer that often.

And it's quite ironic that you use an example where I'm calling out some fans for being too judgemental towards players to say that I'm judgemental. lol if anything it's only fair

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't enjoy that actually. I'd rather be able to talk hockey will levelheaded people all day. But the internet doesn't offer that often

No one was OTT in that thread last night. People gave it to Palms for having a sh!tty game. BFD. His skating and passing were bad yesterday, and people commented on it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. We get on Greene, Zacha, Boyle, etc ad nauseam, but Palms is a fan favorite so he’s off limits? Doesn’t mean people hate him now, and don’t appreciate what he brings to the team. Guy is leading the team in goals, and has the best shot by far. Nobody wants to trade him for pucks after one bad game. 

And I actually think people here are pretty levelheaded for the most part. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

No one was OTT in that thread last night. People gave it to Palms for having a sh!tty game. BFD. His skating and passing were bad yesterday, and people commented on it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. We get on Greene, Zacha, Boyle, etc ad nauseam, but Palms is a fan favorite so he’s off limits? Doesn’t mean people hate him now, and don’t appreciate what he brings to the team. Guy is leading the team in goals, and has the best shot by far. Nobody wants to trade him for pucks after one bad game. 

And I actually think people here are pretty levelheaded for the most part. 

Well when it comes to Palms I was only going off what Colorado Rockies said, which is true that SOME posters here can turn very quickly on players. And I made a general comment that it's true and it's true that if we're losing a game and you read through comments it's doom and gloom x1000 and if we're winning that it's completely different. And it's understandable of course, people are emotional and reactionary etc I just said it was amazing to see the switch with some comments. It's always the same thing. You can literally read comments from the same people hating and loving the same player like 10 minutes apart haha The same posters will rage about the refs every chance they get but you'll never hear them when something goes our way (or they'll say that we deserved it as some compensation lol), etc etc I personally rage about specific things too like when our players get dumb penalties at the worst possible time lol 

and i agree, i specifically said "the same posters" which is a handful, I never said the whole board is unstable haha I do agree that more people are levelheaded. 

26 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Fair enough. 

And I mean a good example was early in the game I posted something along the line that I was having a hard time bitching about Wood not producing more cause he's working sooooo damn hard every shift. I can hate on a player not showing urgency, effort or wtv. But Wood is always wide open 200% and it's not like he's getting paid 8m a year and expected to put up point constantly.

Basically 2 minutes later he made a fvcking horrible pass to an Islander player in our zone and they got a good scoring opportunity out of it. I actually started typing something like "wtf wood what a dumb play"... but then realized I literally said 2 minutes prior that i'm giving him a pass for his effort lol I mean... not that its important, a big deal, breaking any rules or wtv, it's the internet, who cares. but i still felt i would have been a hypocrite, which im sure i can be at times but im trying to limit that haha

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One thing you'll often find with head coaches (in MANY sports) is that there's always an aging, well-past-his-prime vet or two who gets treated as though he's much better than he is.  We saw that with Marty during his last season here, even when there was clearly a much better option at the time in Cory.

Greene is obviously that guy here, and at times it's really maddening.  I think Hynes has done a solid job holding most players accountable (it's not as easy to do as many think, and as a Met fan I can tell you that some teams don't even seem to attempt it), but I remain baffled as to why Greene doesn't EVER seem to be held accountable for anything.  Is it because he's the captain?  Because the Devils don't have that ready-made youngster who can play like a younger Greene did? 

This won't ever happen, but I really wouldn't mind seeing Larsson back with the Devils.  He could be a young vet, steadying kind of presence on the blue line...of course since Edmonton wouldn't get anything near what they gave up to get him, it's just a pissing in the wind kind of dream on my part.  But really hoping this is Greene's last season here, because man does he piss me off a lot.

My animosity about Greene seemingly being beyond reproach is well documented here.

We had to get Vats in the lineup, zero question, but did Yakovlev deserve to come out after playing absolutely solid hockey? Hell no. I get scratching your Captain is next to impossible, but at what point does Hynes admit that Greene’s legs absolutely cannot keep up and he at least needs a game or two off every so often. Honest answer is it probably won’t happen. And unfortunately it comes at the cost of reliability on the ice. We at least didn’t have to suffer with him on the ice for OT so maybe it is the start of the transition.

Greene got bad help from Severson’s back check on the Leddy(?) goal, but he also didn’t move his feet and got beat to a rebound he had clear position on. Earlier in the game, he makes a blind pass that leads to the first series of Islanders chances. Now, it’s absolutely not on him that the entire team played the first period with their heads firmly up their asses, but a simple dumb play started the swing of momentum.

Greene now reminds me of Sal towards the end, the difference is injuries limited one of their time on the ice and the other is just Jekyl and Hyde game to game but stays comfortably in the lineup and gets a good chunk of minutes too

I really hope the team makes him a compelling offer to hang up the skates next summer, otherwise I can only imagine it getting worse.

Edited by jagknife

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Had seats directly behind the Devils' penalty box today...interesting to see player reactions as they head to the box.  Palms and Bratt (on his second penalty) were definitely not happy with the calls against them (Bratt let a few notable f-bombs go).  Palms chatted with one of the officials during a commercial and he was clearly letting him know how he felt about the call made against him.

The 5-on-3 was frustrating as hell because you had a feeling that it would come back to haunt them.  Just sucks to have THAT much time up two men and to come up empty.  Because of that and the way the game was going, getting the point felt like "Well, could've been worse." 

Obviously not one of Palms' finer nights by any stretch, but funny how suddenly he's this turnover-prone zilch who can't skate...doesn't take much for people to turn on players here.

Scary how often Wood just seems to lose his feet...guy can be so clumsy at times. 

3-1-2 on this kinda-sorta homestand...I was hoping for at least 8 out of 12 points, and they did that.  Wasn't always pretty and they really look flat-out rotten in OT so far...whatever they're trying so far in OTs doesn't seem to be working at all.  These 3-on-3s are starting to feel like shootouts did a while back. 

On a side note, thank you Vats for giving my daughter a puck during warmups.  You made her season...she's still beaming.  Amazing what a circular piece of rubber can do for a kid. 

Amazing. That sort of moment always grows to legendary proportion in a childs mind as they grow older. That first interaction with a player to them who seems so much larger than life. That's why I always loved that quote by Joe Dimaggio about playing hard  "Because there might have been somebody in the stands today who'd never seen me play before, and might never see me again"

You always want those first impressions to be positive ones

What sucks now is we head on down to Florida. Tampa always rubs our faces in the dirt and our games against the Panthers are always riddled with bad luck and misfortune. Seriously I think the Henrique goal was the last positive thing that's ever happened to us in the Panthers arena.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, '7' said:

What sucks now is we head on down to Florida. Tampa always rubs our faces in the dirt and our games against the Panthers are always riddled with bad luck and misfortune. Seriously I think the Henrique goal was the last positive thing that's ever happened to us in the Panthers arena.

I want Kucherov picking up his teeth before the end of his first shift tomorrow. I want an early message sent to those a$$holes that we aren’t there to be some fvcking plastic fvck doll this time around. And I don’t want Schneider playing in either of these games, but especially the Panther game. As you said, we have enough bad luck in that place, we don’t need Schneider and his black cloud making things tougher than they already are. 

Edited by MadDog2020

We need a dam good showing against the lighting, if Hynes doesn't have every line flying  from puck drop to buzzer, I'm going to have a problem with him. They embarrassed us the last game.. two quick goals , and then got dominated in every phase of the game after that.. we didn't belong on the ice with them..  show us it was a fluke...  they were also taking runs at us with little to no paybacks, super soft...  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

If the 2018 New York Islanders are “better than” the 2018 New Jersey Devils this franchise is failing miserably. 

Especially given Lou's given them more of a jolt in half a year than this team's showing in its fourth year.  And I do like Shero but when exactly does the rebuild excuse end?  The Isles lost JT AND deHaan and Trotz has got them rolling like they're the mid '00's Devils losing FA's.  Maybe being embarassed by the Isles making the playoffs while we sit at home finally amps up the urgency a little.

Edited by NJDevs4978

17 hours ago, '7' said:

Amazing. That sort of moment always grows to legendary proportion in a childs mind as they grow older. That first interaction with a player to them who seems so much larger than life. That's why I always loved that quote by Joe Dimaggio about playing hard  "Because there might have been somebody in the stands today who'd never seen me play before, and might never see me again"

You always want those first impressions to be positive ones

Yeah, it's funny, she decided early on this year that she REALLY wanted a practice puck...we've been buying the club seats for most of our games this year, so of course that makes it a lot easier to be in position to get one.  She made a sign that says "This girl wants a puck please", with an oval cut out for her head to go through.  It didn't work until Friday's game, but she understood fully that not every kid is going to get a puck (though I've noticed for special event games, they seem to make an effort to give out more of them).  

It was just a real cool moment...Vats made eye contact with me less than two minutes into the warmup session (we were right up against the glass) and I knew right then my daughter had a puck coming to her.  She was already beaming, but as soon as I caught it, her face just lit up...SO happy, in that purely innocent way that only a kid can be.  She held that puck and just kept looking at it...like you said, she'll treasure it always.  I couldn't have been happier for her.  I could see that Vats knew he made a kid happy too...which made the moment even better.  If only they'd won the damned game...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Especially given Lou's given them more of a jolt in half a year than this team's showing in its fourth year.  And I do like Shero but when exactly does the rebuild excuse end?  The Isles lost JT AND deHaan and Trotz has got them rolling like they're the mid '00's Devils losing FA's.  Maybe being embarassed by the Isles making the playoffs while we sit at home finally amps up the urgency a little.

Whoa whoa whoa, to say Lou save the Islanders is like saying he saved the Leafs, let’s ease back just a little.

Lou brought back Matt Martin and brought in Fillpula. It just so happened that as inept Snow was, their farm system hadn’t been decimated by an absolutely archaich defensive-minded first mindset that some old codger was given free passes to do for years. 

While Tavares leaving was massive, it wasn’t like the Isles were an absolute dumpster fire like Lou created here.

Edited by jagknife

I think Lou deserves credit for nabbing Trotz as soon as he became available (that was a solid and proactive move), but yeah, going to be a while before we really see any impact on the actual team from Lou.  And yes, his cupboard wasn't as bare as what Shero had to work here with initially...and in Shero's case, it looks like the one guy we really thought would be a sure-thing kind of piece in Cory has become a nonentity for now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Lou deserves credit for nabbing Trotz as soon as he became available (that was a solid and proactive move), but yeah, going to be a while before we really see any impact on the actual team from Lou.  And yes, his cupboard wasn't as bare as what Shero had to work here with initially...and in Shero's case, it looks like the one guy we really thought would be a sure-thing kind of piece in Cory has become a nonentity for now.  

I meant to include Trotz as a plus, thanks for the backup.

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t give him much credit for that. He got the best available coach who just won the Stanley Cup. That’s a no-brainer move, assuming said coach was willing to come, which he was. 

Convincing him to come to the islanders might have been some work. I don't know if Trotz would have done that for just anyone

16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Convincing him to come to the islanders might have been some work. I don't know if Trotz would have done that for just anyone

You’re speculating. It might’ve been little to no work, also. It could’ve been as easy as a phone call to the best available guy.

You don’t know what Trotz would or wouldn’t do for anyone, unless you know him and I’m unaware...