Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jagknife

GDT: Islanders at Devils, 4pm Eastern

Recommended Posts

I think Lou deserves credit for nabbing Trotz as soon as he became available (that was a solid and proactive move), but yeah, going to be a while before we really see any impact on the actual team from Lou.  And yes, his cupboard wasn't as bare as what Shero had to work here with initially...and in Shero's case, it looks like the one guy we really thought would be a sure-thing kind of piece in Cory has become a nonentity for now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Lou deserves credit for nabbing Trotz as soon as he became available (that was a solid and proactive move), but yeah, going to be a while before we really see any impact on the actual team from Lou.  And yes, his cupboard wasn't as bare as what Shero had to work here with initially...and in Shero's case, it looks like the one guy we really thought would be a sure-thing kind of piece in Cory has become a nonentity for now.  

I meant to include Trotz as a plus, thanks for the backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t give him much credit for that. He got the best available coach who just won the Stanley Cup. That’s a no-brainer move, assuming said coach was willing to come, which he was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t give him much credit for that. He got the best available coach who just won the Stanley Cup. That’s a no-brainer move, assuming said coach was willing to come, which he was. 

Convincing him to come to the islanders might have been some work. I don't know if Trotz would have done that for just anyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Convincing him to come to the islanders might have been some work. I don't know if Trotz would have done that for just anyone

You’re speculating. It might’ve been little to no work, also. It could’ve been as easy as a phone call to the best available guy.

You don’t know what Trotz would or wouldn’t do for anyone, unless you know him and I’m unaware...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Lou deserves credit for nabbing Trotz as soon as he became available (that was a solid and proactive move), but yeah, going to be a while before we really see any impact on the actual team from Lou.  And yes, his cupboard wasn't as bare as what Shero had to work here with initially...and in Shero's case, it looks like the one guy we really thought would be a sure-thing kind of piece in Cory has become a nonentity for now.  

In general and on paper, I'm reaaally not sure I agree that a GM with a vacant head coach position calling one of the best coach as soon as he became available deserves toooooo much credit. Or that it's proactive... It's only common sense and a necessity really. You'd be a dumbass, a failure and not doing your job for NOT doing it really haha

And i'm not saying this because it's Lou and trying to take away credits from him. If anything, because it's Lou, in this case, I'd personally give him credit for actually making a common sense business decision at the right timing and not playing the "when time is on your side, use it" game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most important thing the isles needed was a real goalie.. so far they have one.. the team HAD a good group of young talent.. they have been starting very strong for years and then collapsing because of garbage goal tending

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

The most important thing the isles needed was a real goalie.. so far they have one.. the team HAD a good group of young talent.. they have been starting very strong for years and then collapsing because of garbage goal tending

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Greiss on the team last year? He’s just finally getting a chance to shine full time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re:  Lou and hiring Trotz, wasn't trying to make it sound like some major achievement...just that he at least didn't fvck around with it and went out and got him.  It's not like GMs always make that move that seems like a no-brainer to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Lou and hiring Trotz, wasn't trying to make it sound like some major achievement...just that he at least didn't fvck around with it and went out and got him.  It's not like GMs always make that move that seems like a no-brainer to us.

Now THAT I’ll agree with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Greiss on the team last year? He’s just finally getting a chance to shine full time 

I think he was there the last few years and going back and forth with halak..they both sucked lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Convincing him to come to the islanders might have been some work. I don't know if Trotz would have done that for just anyone

Especially BECAUSE they were about to lose JT.  Or at least were no sure thing to keep him.

And of course you can't compare the Isles this year to the Devils in Shero's year one, just saying by year FOUR we should be better than a team that was in shambles losing its franchise player in July.  Basically everyone on the team except for the goalies, Greene, Zajac and Severson were Shero acquisitions.  At a certain point he has to own this.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Especially BECAUSE they were about to lose JT.  Or at least were no sure thing to keep him.

And of course you can't compare the Isles this year to the Devils in Shero's year one, just saying by year FOUR we should be better than a team that was in shambles losing its franchise player in July.  Basically everyone on the team except for the goalies, Greene, Zajac and Severson were Shero acquisitions.  At a certain point he has to own this.

Who was Lou bidding against to get Trotz though? There was ONE open spot lol 

Coleman and Wood were in the system too. I don't feel it's fair to say that by year FOUR that we should be a lot better than another team. Islanders had a lot of assets and young prospects, we didn't.

Thing is Shero's hands are tied to some extent because of sh!t decisions that was taken before his time and how stripped the team was because of that. We still have to be reasonable and understand how long and what it takes to build a successful team. It starts with drafting. And that didn't go our way because of Conte and Lou. We got lucky, won the lottery, picked Larsson which ended up going in our favour trading for Hall... then (potentially the worst fvcking decision) we KEPT the fvcking 29th pick to draft Stefan fvcking Matteau instead of forfeiting it like anyone with a brain would have done. Because of that, we ended up with Quenneville in 2013 instead of "potentially" pick guys like Larkin or Pastrnak. Then we traded #9 for Schneider, which we all thought was genius at the time but in hindsight was a mistake. Then Conte picked Zacha, which... who knows... and then we had a middle of that pack pick in a weak draft year and ended up with McLeod who's nothing special. I'm really pumped for Smith but that's too fresh. And before all that, we had like 6 years of picking busts. And we got INCREDIBLY lucky and won the lottery and got Hischier.

Then well you can trade to get players, but trade what? We had no prospects, had to keep our picks and the roster what the oldest roster in the league, 75% of our roster had no value and our core was super weak. We traded Larsson and Henrique which sucked but we had to, we had nothing else. We got good deals with Palms and Mojo (kind of), buying low. We traded a few picks for guys but you get what you get with those.

And as for signing guys... we're obviously not an attractive destination so it's hard to get top guys, again you have to go for low-risk high rewards kind of guys. And all of that while getting rid of the deadweight that was left. 

I mean... considering all of that, I just don't understand what people expect from Shero (or anyone in his situation) in term of building a better team in such a quick turnaround starting with almost nothing. It's like expecting someone to build a full treehouse with 4 nails and a few wet toilet paper rolls.

 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.