Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Fire Hynes

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree to disagree on that. Games like tonight’s, we never had a chance because of Cory. There’s no way to coach your way out of that. Only thing he could’ve done is played KK, but KK can’t play them all. 

It’s too easy to say “he isn’t motivating them”, and as I often point out, we have no clue what he is or isn’t doing behind the scenes.

Like I said, is he part of it? Maybe. All of it? Definitely not. And I find it difficult to believe they were motivated enough by him to make the playoffs last year and it suddenly went away. 

 

Well, sh!t happens and sometimes coaches lose their jobs even if they may not necessarily deserve to. Hynes probably won’t get fired, but I’m starting to think these guys may have just tuned him out to a certain extent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We’re an atrocity defensively and we have onegoalie who can’t stop giving up 5+ goals and a backup who has at times overperformed, but he’s still a backup.

I’m not saying Hynes is blameless, but come on, you ask a guy to cut down a tree and then you don’t give him any saws, just a handful of nail files...he hasn’t got the tools to be successful. 

true and we have 17m of unused cap space while Tampa has a full team, bunch of top guys in their prime. There's only so much you can do

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol there’s no way Hynes is getting fired any time soon. Please remember this is a squad in desperate need of its GM to add pieces. We are trotting out the likes of Seney, Schneider, Greene, Zacha, and the rest of these loser dipsh!ts and expecting better results? Nah man, reset those expectations. Scotty Bowman couldn’t coach this team out of last place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is in the state it's in due to years of Lou/Conte incompetence and idiocy. This will not be a quick fix by any means. With that said, if Shero cant get it done it will set the franchise back even further. He has a mess on his hands. Defense is horrible,  there's no legitimate starting goalie and if Kinkaid walks...then what? There are no scorers beyond the first line,  etc etc. Hynes is part of the problem but he has very little to work with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I place very little blame on Hynes, because I think the problem is very obviously goaltending and that is tough to coach. The one thing I will put on him going forward is that he might need to have a tough talk with Cory and Ray and send him down to the AHL for an extended run. A 9-5-3 record with Kinkaid in net is a ~101 Pt. pace if my math is correct. As tough as it is you just can't play Cory right now, so if that continues to happen I do think Hynes is to blame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

This team is in the state it's in due to years of Lou/Conte incompetence and idiocy. This will not be a quick fix by any means. With that said, if Shero cant get it done it will set the franchise back even further. He has a mess on his hands. Defense is horrible,  there's no legitimate starting goalie and if Kinkaid walks...then what? There are no scorers beyond the first line,  etc etc. Hynes is part of the problem but he has very little to work with. 

Someone else mentioned basically the same thing, that the team was/is devoid of talent and depth because of poor drafting and GM decisions, and that it will take a lot of time to recoup from that.  I absolutely HATE that argument.  It makes almost no sense.  Sure, Lou/Conte et al left the team in pretty bad shape, but the whole "it takes time to come back from that" just isn't true.  First and foremost, this isn't season #1 or season #2 after Lou left.  It's been a few years now, so things should start looking up about now, and although we do have some positives, there's still a lot of negatives about this team too. We also got the #1 overall pick last year as a gift, so the state of the team as Lou left it is getting further and further in the rearview mirror and we can't always keep using that as an excuse.  It becomes less and less relevant with each passing game. 

Beyond that, while you definitely can wait several years and go through some tough seasons and be a bottom feeder while hopefully having success drafting and acquiring talent, as that time goes by, whatever good assets you actually had initially are now either too old and on the decline, or perhaps shipped out for financial reasons, so it ends up just being a carousel.  I mean, think about it - for those of you who believe this way, you think it's OK or necessary to just accept the team for what it is right now?  How long in your opinion does it have to be before this team no longer uses the way Lou left it as an excuse, another 2 seasons? 3?  Then what?  2-3 years from now Hall could be gone.  Palms could be gone. Mojo gone.  Greene will be gone (though that's a good thing, but we only have one guy ready to step in there).  Zajac will be gone or at least more on the decline.  Let's assume in that same span of time we get a good draft pick next year.  Let's even say the year after that we get another good one.  Those guys both will take some time to develop, a couple years most likely.  Let's say we also get one or two decent free agent signings in that time.  We're still in the same position we're in now - a roster lacking depth and a bunch of question marks.  This team has all of TWO players locked up long term , and by long term I mean just 4 years.  That's really fvcking nothing.  Look around the league and you see teams with a handful of players who are identified as their corp and signed to 5, 6, 7 or 8 year deals.  Hell, I feel like the Lightning have like 5 or 10 of those guys.  It's no wonder why they're top 3 in the league the last few seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Someone else mentioned basically the same thing, that the team was/is devoid of talent and depth because of poor drafting and GM decisions, and that it will take a lot of time to recoup from that.  I absolutely HATE that argument.  It makes almost no sense.  Sure, Lou/Conte et al left the team in pretty bad shape, but the whole "it takes time to come back from that" just isn't true.  First and foremost, this isn't season #1 or season #2 after Lou left.  It's been a few years now, so things should start looking up about now, and although we do have some positives, there's still a lot of negatives about this team too. We also got the #1 overall pick last year as a gift, so the state of the team as Lou left it is getting further and further in the rearview mirror and we can't always keep using that as an excuse.  It becomes less and less relevant with each passing game. 

Beyond that, while you definitely can wait several years and go through some tough seasons and be a bottom feeder while hopefully having success drafting and acquiring talent, as that time goes by, whatever good assets you actually had initially are now either too old and on the decline, or perhaps shipped out for financial reasons, so it ends up just being a carousel.  I mean, think about it - for those of you who believe this way, you think it's OK or necessary to just accept the team for what it is right now?  How long in your opinion does it have to be before this team no longer uses the way Lou left it as an excuse, another 2 seasons? 3?  Then what?  2-3 years from now Hall could be gone.  Palms could be gone. Mojo gone.  Greene will be gone (though that's a good thing, but we only have one guy ready to step in there).  Zajac will be gone or at least more on the decline.  Let's assume in that same span of time we get a good draft pick next year.  Let's even say the year after that we get another good one.  Those guys both will take some time to develop, a couple years most likely.  Let's say we also get one or two decent free agent signings in that time.  We're still in the same position we're in now - a roster lacking depth and a bunch of question marks.  This team has all of TWO players locked up long term , and by long term I mean just 4 years.  That's really fvcking nothing.  Look around the league and you see teams with a handful of players who are identified as their corp and signed to 5, 6, 7 or 8 year deals.  Hell, I feel like the Lightning have like 5 or 10 of those guys.  It's no wonder why they're top 3 in the league the last few seasons.

Why do you hate that argument? For years Lou slapped bandaids on bulletwounds. He mortaged the future for the hopes of capturing the glory one last time. To say Ray has done a terrible job is speaking with blinders on. You can only draft so much talent in a single draft. That problem isn’t going to be fixed overnight. Lou has years, hell I’ll even go as far as to say a decade’s worth, of awful drafts. Those players are still in the system. Are you expecting Ray to go out, cut those guys and start bringing in undrafted free agents? Ray has done a tremendous job of actually giving us players in the freaking pipeline, we actually have arguments now over who should be the next call up instead of “well great, what will this guy give us.” Yes, the dark ages of the end of Lou are further behind us, but their ripple effects still linger.

What moves do you want Ray to do? Trade some of the actual talent he has to get a temporary fix? Gamble on another Grabner and toss away a couple of picks? If he does that, there goes that talent in the pipeline or draft picks you want him to keep in one of your arguments.

You can’t give players outside of their last year of a contract an extension, that’s why there aren’t many locked up long term. Are you forgetting this team was in cap hell not too long ago with guys who were over 35 and pretty much useless to the team? Who did that? Good ole Uncle Lou.

You’re mad that people still blame Lou for the team Ray has when you’re forgetting how atrocious it was. A rebuild takes time. Ray has had 3 years and 5 months, almost exactly. He built a bubble team in 2 years. Two Years. If you’re upset with that progress, you need to get a grip. The rebuild is on going, he isn’t done, give it the  time it needs

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Why do you hate that argument? For years Lou slapped bandaids on bulletwounds. He mortaged the future for the hopes of capturing the glory one last time. To say Ray has done a terrible job is speaking with blinders on. You can only draft so much talent in a single draft. That problem isn’t going to be fixed overnight. Lou has years, hell I’ll even go as far as to say a decade’s worth, of awful drafts. Those players are still in the system. Are you expecting Ray to go out, cut those guys and start bringing in undrafted free agents? Ray has done a tremendous job of actually giving us players in the freaking pipeline, we actually have arguments now over who should be the next call up instead of “well great, what will this guy give us.” Yes, the dark ages of the end of Lou are further behind us, but their ripple effects still linger.

What moves do you want Ray to do? Trade some of the actual talent he has to get a temporary fix? Gamble on another Grabner and toss away a couple of picks? If he does that, there goes that talent in the pipeline or draft picks you want him to keep in one of your arguments.

You can’t give players outside of their last year of a contract an extension, that’s why there aren’t many locked up long term. Are you forgetting this team was in cap hell not too long ago with guys who were over 35 and pretty much useless to the team? Who did that? Good ole Uncle Lou.

You’re mad that people still blame Lou for the team Ray has when you’re forgetting how atrocious it was. A rebuild takes time. Ray has had 3 years and 5 months, almost exactly. He built a bubble team in 2 years. Two Years. If you’re upset with that progress, you need to get a grip. The rebuild is on going, he isn’t done, give it the  time it needs

I'm not upset with the job Shero has done so far - in fact I've been on record defending him when so many others here have been pissed at him for doing 'nothing' this past off-season.  But that still doesn't mean I will constantly blame the current state of the team on things that happened 5 years ago.  

I just don't like the idea of simply giving it time, waiting 2-3 more years (that's being generous), and essentially hoping it's somehow going to get better with sheer time alone. It's not like fine wine where it'll just get better with age, without actually doing anything.  Lots of things have to go right while we wait for that time to pass.  We can't just let ugly contracts expire and let seasons slip away until finally, one day, everyone says "OK, the Lou days are DEFINTIELY over now, let's start from this point forward".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say this but with each passing game my confidence with Hynes is souring more and more.  I don't know how he cannot hold players like Greene, Wood, and Mojo accountable.  Greene's C should not be a get out of jail free card.  He needs to sit.  Quinn across the Hudson has at least hold players like sh!ttenkirk and Skjei accountable for their play.  Wish I could say the same about Hynes.

Nas also needs to go too.  This is by no means letting our D off the hook, but some of the blown coverage stuff wouldn't even pass in the AHL.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm not upset with the job Shero has done so far - in fact I've been on record defending him when so many others here have been pissed at him for doing 'nothing' this past off-season.  But that still doesn't mean I will constantly blame the current state of the team on things that happened 5 years ago.  

I just don't like the idea of simply giving it time, waiting 2-3 more years (that's being generous), and essentially hoping it's somehow going to get better with sheer time alone. It's not like fine wine where it'll just get better with age, without actually doing anything.  Lots of things have to go right while we wait for that time to pass.  We can't just let ugly contracts expire and let seasons slip away until finally, one day, everyone says "OK, the Lou days are DEFINTIELY over now, let's start from this point forward".  

Lots of things also have to go right to be a championship team. That Lightning team you referenced in your first post? Haven’t won a cup with their current crop. Nashville who seemed to make a bunch of right calls a few years ago to get to the finals, zero cups. If you think 5-7 years is too long for a rebuild, go back and look at how bad Chicago was before their run of glory. Champions need to be built over time, not months. If you want to be a playoff team every season, there is no promise you’ll make a final, let alone win a cup. I’d rather Ray build a champion. 

stop saying 5 years ago, Lou was still in charge during 2014-15. Ray took over in May that year. 

When would I say it’s time to turn the page on blaming Lou for the mess? I’d honestly say after this coming offseason. It’d be 4 drafts and free agencies for Ray at that point. That is enough to look at a roster and say “yeah you’ve done a good job” or not. (Here’s a hint to what my answer would be, yeah he’s done a hell of a good job.) 

Ray’s contracts that he’s stuck with right now are Greene and Schneider, both Lou deals. If people still want to hate the Zajac deal, fine, but that’s another Lou move. Ray’s Devils legacy will be judged by most on his efforts and success to keep Taylor Hall. I personally am very curious to how he handles the goaltending situation as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Lots of things also have to go right to be a championship team. That Lightning team you referenced in your first post? Haven’t won a cup with their current crop. Nashville who seemed to make a bunch of right calls a few years ago to get to the finals, zero cups. If you think 5-7 years is too long for a rebuild, go back and look at how bad Chicago was before their run of glory. Champions need to be built over time, not months. If you want to be a playoff team every season, there is no promise you’ll make a final, let alone win a cup. I’d rather Ray build a champion. 

stop saying 5 years ago, Lou was still in charge during 2014-15. Ray took over in May that year. 

When would I say it’s time to turn the page on blaming Lou for the mess? I’d honestly say after this coming offseason. It’d be 4 drafts and free agencies for Ray at that point. That is enough to look at a roster and say “yeah you’ve done a good job” or not. (Here’s a hint to what my answer would be, yeah he’s done a hell of a good job.) 

Ray’s contracts that he’s stuck with right now are Greene and Schneider, both Lou deals. If people still want to hate the Zajac deal, fine, but that’s another Lou move. Ray’s Devils legacy will be judged by most on his efforts and success to keep Taylor Hall. I personally am very curious to how he handles the goaltending situation as well.

Fair enough, but if most of your reasoning leads you to coming to a judgment on Shero after this season (i.e. 4 drafts/free agencies), well I hate to break it to you, but that's coming up awfully quick, and it's unlikely that much is going to change between now and then, so I think you already have your answer.  What is another 5 months going to tell you?  I guess maybe you alluded to some of it in your very last remark about handling the Schneider situation, but for me that's not something I really pin on Schneider, or Lou for that matter.  It's just unfortunate circumstances and something no one could have predicted.  

I think we have to hope in this 4th year of free agency, with a lot of disposable cash, that Shero really goes balls to the wall and throws offers at guys.  Problem is, I feel like last year was hyped up as being one of the better periods for high quality free agents in the last couple years.  I haven't paid attention to the upcoming class of UFAs though, so maybe we'll get lucky and there will be some worthwhile stars out there in a few months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Fair enough, but if most of your reasoning leads you to coming to a judgment on Shero after this season (i.e. 4 drafts/free agencies), well I hate to break it to you, but that's coming up awfully quick, and it's unlikely that much is going to change between now and then, so I think you already have your answer.  What is another 5 months going to tell you?  I guess maybe you alluded to some of it in your very last remark about handling the Schneider situation, but for me that's not something I really pin on Schneider, or Lou for that matter.  It's just unfortunate circumstances and something no one could have predicted.  

I think we have to hope in this 4th year of free agency, with a lot of disposable cash, that Shero really goes balls to the wall and throws offers at guys.  Problem is, I feel like last year was hyped up as being one of the better periods for high quality free agents in the last couple years.  I haven't paid attention to the upcoming class of UFAs though, so maybe we'll get lucky and there will be some worthwhile stars out there in a few months.  

Last year was one of the weaker crops of drafts (if memory serves correctly) and free agents weren’t much better with JT and JvR really your big ticket items. I wanted no part of David Perron and James Neal got himself a solid deal but probably won’t deliver on his Vegas numbers.

I’m already saying it that I think Ray has done a good job, hell I literally put it in my previous reply. If he gets Hall to sign next summer, it’s even better. Again, I refuse to blame Ray for taking a while to get this team turned around considering how much of a wasteland it was when it took it over. He’s not done by any means, but again, he’s done a good job.

And all I said with Schneider was it was a Lou contract. I didn’t blame him, in fact I applauded the move based on his first two years with us. It’s not anyone’s fault that stopping the puck has become Mandarin Chinese for Cory.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Last year was one of the weaker crops of drafts (if memory serves correctly) and free agents weren’t much better with JT and JvR really your big ticket items. I wanted no part of David Perron and James Neal got himself a solid deal but probably won’t deliver on his Vegas numbers.

I’m already saying it that I think Ray has done a good job, hell I literally put it in my previous reply. If he gets Hall to sign next summer, it’s even better. Again, I refuse to blame Ray for taking a while to get this team turned around considering how much of a wasteland it was when it took it over. He’s not done by any means, but again, he’s done a good job.

And all I said with Schneider was it was a Lou contract. I didn’t blame him, in fact I applauded the move based on his first two years with us. It’s not anyone’s fault that stopping the puck has become Mandarin Chinese for Cory.

Wasn't Cory signed under Shero?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Wasn't Cory signed under Shero?

Cory extended in 2014, Ray took over in 2015, about 10 months apart

Edited by jagknife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jagknife said:

Cory extended in 2014, Ray took over in 2015, about 10 months apart

Ah ok thanks.  That's what happens when I look up his contract numbers and see it started in the 15-16 season lol.

I can't believe we have him for 3 more years.  Yeesh that is really looking ugly now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

We’re an atrocity defensively and we have onegoalie who can’t stop giving up 5+ goals and a backup who has at times overperformed, but he’s still a backup.

I’m not saying Hynes is blameless, but come on, you ask a guy to cut down a tree and then you don’t give him any saws, just a handful of nail files...he hasn’t got the tools to be successful. 

I don't think this Devils team is talented enough to be in the top-three in the division, but I absolutely don't think we're so pitiful that the fans should be okay with a near last-place Devils team. 

Are the Islanders, Rangers, Senators, Canadians and Red Wings more talented than we are? No, they're not. But we're looking at the ugly side of them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I hate to say this but with each passing game my confidence with Hynes is souring more and more.  I don't know how he cannot hold players like Greene, Wood, and Mojo accountable.  Greene's C should not be a get out of jail free card.  He needs to sit.  Quinn across the Hudson has at least hold players like sh!ttenkirk and Skjei accountable for their play.  Wish I could say the same about Hynes.

Nas also needs to go too.  This is by no means letting our D off the hook, but some of the blown coverage stuff wouldn't even pass in the AHL.

If they lose tonight, that’s it. Something better damn well be done tomorrow morning. I’m done with the fvcking around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckily we'll have another lock-out and be able to compliance buy-out that ginger fvck. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kind of with the sentiment that the team isn't good, but def isn't last place levels of bad. Cory threw some games, but even if Kink started those and won 3/5 the record is still unacceptable. Losing games is one thing, right? If the talent isn't there it isn't there. The bigger issue, however, has been compete level and lack of perceived effort.  Games like the ones against Tampa are going to happen, but the fight we saw from the team last season, even when they were losing, isn't there this year. Last year you always felt this team had a chance even if they're down by 4 going into the 3rd; they just kept trying. This year there is nothing. No spark...no hope. It's like 2013-2015 all over again.

 

If the season is to be salvaged something has to get shaken up, otherwise me may as well just start looking forward to the draft and pray to god Hall drank the coolaid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Luckily we'll have another lock-out and be able to compliance buy-out that ginger fvck. 

Making a positive out of the negative, I respect that.

No sarcasm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I can't believe we have him for 3 more years.  Yeesh that is really looking ugly now.

He should be permitted to play no more than 25 games during that time if we are stuck with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I just don't like the idea of simply giving it time, waiting 2-3 more years (that's being generous), and essentially hoping it's somehow going to get better with sheer time alone. It's not like fine wine where it'll just get better with age, without actually doing anything.  Lots of things have to go right while we wait for that time to pass.  We can't just let ugly contracts expire and let seasons slip away until finally, one day, everyone says "OK, the Lou days are DEFINTIELY over now, let's start from this point forward".  

Shero doesn't have the luxury of waiting. He needs to fix this mess ASAP and he knows it. In contrast, Lou had all the time in the world and controlled the franchise from top to bottom. He never saw things long-term and kept gutting out our developmental system for mediocre free-agents. Lou was all about mortgaging the future for immediate fixes (and he'd swing and miss in most cases i.e. Zubrus, Rolston, Peter Harrold, Mottau, Tallinder, Havlat, Ryder, Clowe, etc). We can't wait 5 years obviously but Shero has his hands full and this won't happen overnight. And as for those ugly contracts, hopefully we've seen the last of them after Lou left the building. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

Shero doesn't have the luxury of waiting. He needs to fix this mess ASAP and he knows it. In contrast, Lou had all the time in the world and controlled the franchise from top to bottom. He never saw things long-term and kept gutting out our developmental system for mediocre free-agents. Lou was all about mortgaging the future for immediate fixes (and he'd swing and miss in most cases i.e. Zubrus, Rolston, Peter Harrold, Mottau, Tallinder, Havlat, Ryder, Clowe, etc). We can't wait 5 years obviously but Shero has his hands full and this won't happen overnight. And as for those ugly contracts, hopefully we've seen the last of them after Lou left the building. 

The timeline now is really due to Hall, and that is fair. Early I know, but if this is a legitimate step back and the Devils end up with another top pick it will probably be another immediate impact player. If NJ can keep Hall and gain another top player upfront the future doesn't look horrid with the dead weight NJ is dropping over the next couple of years but yea....that's another couple years of waiting. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that to "develop your farm system through the draft" it takes time. But there's a giant fvcking hole there created by the previous regime. It's fact. I don't think the answer to that is to wait until you can draft and develop more guys. You have to fill those gaps with trades and through free agency. Otherwise, you're fvcked for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 11/26/2018 at 9:20 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

Someone else mentioned basically the same thing, that the team was/is devoid of talent and depth because of poor drafting and GM decisions, and that it will take a lot of time to recoup from that.  I absolutely HATE that argument.  It makes almost no sense.  Sure, Lou/Conte et al left the team in pretty bad shape, but the whole "it takes time to come back from that" just isn't true.  First and foremost, this isn't season #1 or season #2 after Lou left.  It's been a few years now, so things should start looking up about now, and although we do have some positives, there's still a lot of negatives about this team too. We also got the #1 overall pick last year as a gift, so the state of the team as Lou left it is getting further and further in the rearview mirror and we can't always keep using that as an excuse.  It becomes less and less relevant with each passing game. 

Beyond that, while you definitely can wait several years and go through some tough seasons and be a bottom feeder while hopefully having success drafting and acquiring talent, as that time goes by, whatever good assets you actually had initially are now either too old and on the decline, or perhaps shipped out for financial reasons, so it ends up just being a carousel.  I mean, think about it - for those of you who believe this way, you think it's OK or necessary to just accept the team for what it is right now?  How long in your opinion does it have to be before this team no longer uses the way Lou left it as an excuse, another 2 seasons? 3?  Then what?  2-3 years from now Hall could be gone.  Palms could be gone. Mojo gone.  Greene will be gone (though that's a good thing, but we only have one guy ready to step in there).  Zajac will be gone or at least more on the decline.  Let's assume in that same span of time we get a good draft pick next year.  Let's even say the year after that we get another good one.  Those guys both will take some time to develop, a couple years most likely.  Let's say we also get one or two decent free agent signings in that time.  We're still in the same position we're in now - a roster lacking depth and a bunch of question marks.  This team has all of TWO players locked up long term , and by long term I mean just 4 years.  That's really fvcking nothing.  Look around the league and you see teams with a handful of players who are identified as their corp and signed to 5, 6, 7 or 8 year deals.  Hell, I feel like the Lightning have like 5 or 10 of those guys.  It's no wonder why they're top 3 in the league the last few seasons.

6

Are you talking about my post from yesterday? IF so I broke down in details why Lou/Conte set the franchise back quite and a bit and that it will take time to recover, there's absolutely no way around it UNLESS you get insanely lucky (and we did winning the lottery and getting Nico). I don't see how anyone looking at it would say that it makes almost no sense. And that we should be way better off 4 years later. Well WE ARE a LOT better off than what we had, that's a hard fact. We're actually LUCKY to be where we are now.

Just for sh!ts and giggles... go through the exercise of where we were when Shero picked up the team... and go through every draft and who was available on the market every summer... and tell us how the team could be better with realistic moves? The one and only thing i could fault Shero is not landing Skinner. Which... god knows maybe he has a good reason. 

To make it easier I bolded the players that were "done" already. We had the OLDEST and SLOWEST team int he league. Our top scorer was Henrique with 43 points. So. Considering most first-round picks outside of the top 3 can take 2-3 years before they make the NHL and have some sort of impact. Walk us through how you make this team better than a team who made the playoffs 3 years later? I don't think you realize how much of a pure miracle it is that we turned it around and made the playoffs last year. 

 

Lineup in 2014-2015

Cammalleri - Henrique - Jagr

Elias - Zajac - Ruutu

Ryder - Gomez - Zubrus

Havlat - Josefson - Gionta

Next in line: Tootoo - Bernier (top prospect =  Reid Boucher)

 

Greene - Salvador

Larsson - Gelinas

Severson - Zidlicky

Next in line: Harrold - Merril 

 

Schneider / Kinkaid

Edited by SterioDesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.