GDT: Devils @ Panthers - 11/26/18, 7:00pm

eaglejelly

I think I am about 2-3 weeks of this kind of play away from being fully on-board the tank train.  It sucks and makes the season seem like torture, but it would be worth it to get a player like Hughes whom we desperately need.  We pretty much need a player in every position except LW at this point.  We are literally a 1-line team with 1 defender who is decent, but would most likely be at best a #4 d-man on a contender.

There is no immediate solution that's on the horizon that doesn't involve a drastic trade where a player we like gets the ax.  I also don't think free agents are lining up to head to the Devils this summer so off to the draft we go. 

11 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Kid is soft.  And I'm not talking about the clear missed boarding call.

You watch Pettersson out there, who's even less physically impressive than Nico, and he has the speed and shiftiness to make it work.  Nico apparently does not.

Yeah, this is such a trash take. Nico plays so hard, back-checks super hard and strips the puck in the defensive zone multiple times a game. He lost the puck in OT, I think, and skated back at full speed to steal it back from 2 Panthers players and redistribute it back to a Devils player to generate another rush, which didn't go anywhere. The kid plays so hard every game, doesn't get pushed around even nearly as much as last season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I think Kinkaid was annoyed that Zajac did...literally...... nothing on that last shot attempt by Hoffman. Didn't get his stick in the way. Didn't get his body in the way. Didn't push him off the puck. Just had a bite of popcorn and watched the celebration. 

Agreed. I replayed Kinkaid's reaction a few times because it struck me as odd. He looks right back in the direction of Zajac as he skates away and then almost quickly whips his head around to look at Vatanen as he skates past him, he looked pisssssssed.

Edited by DJ Eco

29 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I think Kinkaid was annoyed that Zajac did...literally...... nothing on that last shot attempt by Hoffman. Didn't get his stick in the way. Didn't get his body in the way. Didn't push him off the puck. Just had a bite of popcorn and watched the celebration. 

And that KNOWING that the guy is already a sniper, and just having gotten away with a near miss moments before...

This feels like one of those losses that is bigger than it just being 1 game.  This feel like a breaking point loss, where things spiral out of control down the drain from here.  I hope I'm wrong, and I've been optimistic that they would turn things around previously, but the feeling I had after last night's game is that this is going to be a lost season.  It's one thing to lose to TB, but they are losing to teams that they should, and need to beat (FLA, NYI, OTT, DET).

31 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think I am about 2-3 weeks of this kind of play away from being fully on-board the tank train.  It sucks and makes the season seem like torture, but it would be worth it to get a player like Hughes whom we desperately need.  We pretty much need a player in every position except LW at this point.  We are literally a 1-line team with 1 defender who is decent, but would most likely be at best a #4 d-man on a contender.

There is no immediate solution that's on the horizon that doesn't involve a drastic trade where a player we like gets the ax.  I also don't think free agents are lining up to head to the Devils this summer so off to the draft we go. 

I agree with the last remarks about guys not really wanting to come to us this off-season, for a number of reasons, but your comments before that I strongly disagree with.  Someone else alluded to it as well, may have been another thread, I'm not sure, but they mentioned how when this team loses people's opinions change dramatically, almost a complete 180.  At the start of this year, and even now, if this team were to go on a 3 or 4 game winning streak, people would say "With the likes of Hall, Nico, Zacha hitting his stride, Wood contributing now, and Schneider not playing as bad as any goalie could possibly play, this team actually has a good amount of talent and we're capable of playing with 90% of the teams in the league".  But when we're in the midst of a downswing right now, suddenly the opinion changes to "We are literally a 1-line team with 1 defender who is decent"?  C'mon now.  You know that's not remotely true.  Vatanen is way more than a #4 d-man on a ton of other teams (I assume that's who you were referring to), but even Severson and I'd argue Butcher would be at least 2nd pairing d-men too.  The only real liabilities back there for us now are Greene and Lovejoy.  If you think about it, a lot of the struggles we've had lately are guys on offense too - turning the puck over, taking untimely penalties, and just bad mistakes (I'll again point to Bratt on the game winner last night - that's a forward, not a defenseman, who was responsible for a goal).

We know this team has holes and positions that need to be upgraded, but I don't think it's nearly as doom and gloom as you're painting it.  

6 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

This feels like one of those losses that is bigger than it just being 1 game.  This feel like a breaking point loss, where things spiral out of control down the drain from here.  I hope I'm wrong, and I've been optimistic that they would turn things around previously, but the feeling I had after last night's game is that this is going to be a lost season.  It's one thing to lose to TB, but they are losing to teams that they should, and need to beat (FLA, NYI, OTT, DET).

I don't know whether you're right or wrong based on the way our team has been playing, but it's real easy to think things could spiral out of control from here when you look at the upcoming schedule - WSH, WIN, TB.  After that we go on a road trip against some teams who aren't that great at all, and it could be just what this team needs to rally and start feeling good about themselves, but I feel may be a little too late - 3 more losses in the next few games ahead and the guys could possibly start mailing it in already.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, we just need to stop letting the other team stick things in them. 

That would be great if Hynes' speech in the locker room last night went something like this... "I can't even look at you guys right now.  I can't believe you would do this to me.  How could you?  You bent over, dropped your pants, and you let Florida fvck YOU tonight!  I'm the only one who gets to fvck you.  In practice, I'm going to fvck you by making you skate laps.  In games, I'm going to fvck you by cutting your minutes.  On road trips, I'm going to fvck you by making you stay in sh!tty hotels.  So as of today, as of this point forward, I am the only one who fvcks you!  If another team tries to fvck you, you fvck them!"

And then he just walks out of the room.

51 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I agree with the last remarks about guys not really wanting to come to us this off-season, for a number of reasons, but your comments before that I strongly disagree with.  Someone else alluded to it as well, may have been another thread, I'm not sure, but they mentioned how when this team loses people's opinions change dramatically, almost a complete 180.  At the start of this year, and even now, if this team were to go on a 3 or 4 game winning streak, people would say "With the likes of Hall, Nico, Zacha hitting his stride, Wood contributing now, and Schneider not playing as bad as any goalie could possibly play, this team actually has a good amount of talent and we're capable of playing with 90% of the teams in the league".  But when we're in the midst of a downswing right now, suddenly the opinion changes to "We are literally a 1-line team with 1 defender who is decent"?  C'mon now.  You know that's not remotely true.  Vatanen is way more than a #4 d-man on a ton of other teams (I assume that's who you were referring to), but even Severson and I'd argue Butcher would be at least 2nd pairing d-men too.  The only real liabilities back there for us now are Greene and Lovejoy.  If you think about it, a lot of the struggles we've had lately are guys on offense too - turning the puck over, taking untimely penalties, and just bad mistakes (I'll again point to Bratt on the game winner last night - that's a forward, not a defenseman, who was responsible for a goal).

We know this team has holes and positions that need to be upgraded, but I don't think it's nearly as doom and gloom as you're painting it.  

I am not going to start overrating players like Butcher and Vatanen just to pacify myself.  Butcher was given very sheltered minutes last year and now that he is getting slightly less of those minutes he is getting abused left and right.  Vatanen is clearly our best player but that doesn't say much when the rest of the D-corps is a dumpster fire.

I even said when Wood got his deal that I didn't care for it.  I have called Zacha a bust since last season (and still think that), Schneider was always a question mark and players like MoJo and Noesen are non-entities.  You want to make Zajac scoring a few more points this year than last and Severson not being terrible into a bigger thing than it is then fine, good for you.  Just don't ask me to take a bite of that BS sandwich.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That would be great if Hynes' speech in the locker room last night went something like this... "I can't even look at you guys right now.  I can't believe you would do this to me.  How could you?  You bent over, dropped your pants, and you let Florida fvck YOU tonight!  I'm the only one who gets to fvck you.  In practice, I'm going to fvck you by making you skate laps.  In games, I'm going to fvck you by cutting your minutes.  On road trips, I'm going to fvck you by making you stay in sh!tty hotels.  So as of today, as of this point forward, I am the only one who fvcks you!  If another team tries to fvck you, you fvck them!"

And then he just walks out of the room.

Reminds me of the coach I had in youth hockey who told us to "explode in their faces". As a bunch of 13-15 year olds, we found that hysterical. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not going to start overrating players like Butcher and Vatanen just to pacify myself.  Butcher was given very sheltered minutes last year and now that he is getting slightly less of those minutes he is getting abused left and right.  Vatanen is clearly our best player but that doesn't say much when the rest of the D-corps is a dumpster fire.

I even said when Wood got his deal that I didn't care for it.  I have called Zacha a bust since last season (and still think that), Schneider was always a question mark and players like MoJo and Noesen are non-entities.  You want to make Zajac scoring a few more points this year than last and Severson not being terrible into a bigger thing than it is then fine, good for you.  Just don't ask me to take a bite of that BS sandwich.

I get it, you're a glass half empty kinda guy.  Nothing wrong with that, there are two ways to look at every situation.  I just don't see Butcher as some huge liability as you do apparently.  Are you able to find some highlights where he was getting "abused"?  I'm sure there may be a couple, as there are with even the greatest players in the league, but I've watched just about every single game this season and he just hasn't stood out (in a good way) as someone who has constantly been causing issues for us.  I don't see him turn the puck over, from what I can tell he's usually in a good position, and he was also part of a PP unit which, at least during the start of the season, was really good.  

Mojo, I agree, has been invisible.  But Noesen is your average 3rd/4th line role player - every team has and needs those.  In regards to Zajac and Severson, I'm neither downplaying or overselling either of them. So far this year, I think they've done a fine job, and I'll call them what they appear to be at the moment - fine NHLers.  If you want to lump them into the group of guys on our team that you think don't even deserve to be in the league, more power to you.  I just don't see it that way, at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I hate the taste of bs sandwiches.  I'm with you here.