2019 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

Don't think we have one of these up yet so I'll take the liberty of doing so considering the spot the team is at.

Just posted an article going over my current rankings for the 1st Round of this draft, so if you're interested in reading about some of the top guys here's that for you :)  It's a 5,000+ word article, so if you're looking for a longer read, enjoy :cheers: 

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2018/11/26/2019-draft-rankings-first-quarter/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I will once again say I disagree completely with tanking an entire season just to get a better shot at #1 overall. 

Not to mention there's enough younger and older vets on this team who have every reason to give it their all for the rest of the season.  Why wouldn't they?  Does anyone really think Hall wants to waste a year of his prime playing for a tanking team?  Or Palms?  Guys like Zajac have been through enough crappy seasons lately...why would he want to go through another one?  MoJo hasn't been what we'd hoped for since coming here, but the guy is playing for a contract and there's a good chance it won't be here...what's his motivation to tank?  If it happens that the Devils are truly that bad this season (and if Schneider can't get it together and Blackwood isn't ready to fortify the big team's goalie situation, sadly this could be a long year), then I'll live with being a lottery team...I won't love it, but I'll live with it. 

The only way to truly tank is to play Schneider like crazy and ignore the results, or to start selling.  Not interested in either option, at all. 

One of the first mocks I've seen has us taking Alex Turcotte. I'd be OK with that pick but I have a feeling we may be picking higher than No 6. Admittedly its super super early but still fun to read.

Draft Analyst 2019 First Round Mock

About Turcotte from the mock draft:

Some might say that it’s doubtful GM Ray Shero nabs a center in the first round for the fourth time in five drafts, but neither Pavel Zacha, Mike McLeod or even Nico Hischier possess the out-of-your seat explosiveness and creativity owned by this Wisconsin-bound pivot. Turcotte has battled the injury bug but remains an outstanding prospect with cornerstone upside.

1 hour ago, Toasterleavins said:

Do you think Nico has shown explosiveness? Not sure I disagree all that much with him and I love Nico. He's more cerebral than explosive imo.

Correct. I would call Bratt more explosive than Nico. 

I am not in favor of drafting anyone named Turcotte, but will accept it if he is not related to Darren Turcotte. We already did that sh!t once with Matteau and that was enough. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Me either. I just disagree it’s something Nico lacks. 

But you quoted me, I only addressed explosiveness. Nico is creative. Is he so creative that it's "out of your seat" creative? I don't think he is at this point in his career. But the signs are there. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But you quoted me, I only addressed explosiveness. Nico is creative. Is he so creative that it's "out of your seat" creative? I don't think he is at this point in his career. But the signs are there. 

He was in the world junior tournament, which is why he vaulted up to #1.

Hard to compare what he’s doing in the best league in the world against grown men to wherever that prospect is playing. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He was in the world junior tournament, which is why he vaulted up to #1.

Hard to compare what he’s doing in the best league in the world against grown men to wherever that prospect is playing. 

No doubt...but that guy made the comparison nonetheless. He could be completely wrong. Unless we draft the guy, I don't care lol. 

Turcotte reminds me exactly of Zach Parise, he's the same size and plays the same hustle and forecheck style that Zach used to but he doesn't quite have the high end skill like some other guys in this draft do. If we were to target a center early in the draft, I would love to get my hands on Kirby Dach. Zegras and Newhook are arguable as top 5 talents as well, though I wouldn't currently advocate for them that high.

• Like 1

I also posted my first mock draft of the year today as well. Devils would have had the 6th pick if the draft were today, where I had them taking Dylan Cozens. Obviously welcome to take a look if you're so inclined :cheers:
https://ridingpinehockey.com/2018/11/27/2019-nhl-mock-draft-november-27th/

1. LA - Jack Hughes, C, USA U-18 (USDP)
2. STL - Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (LIIGA)
3. ARZ - Vasily Podkolzin, RW, St. Petersburg (MHL)
4. COL (via OTT) - Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)
5. PHI - Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver (WHL)
6. NJ - Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge (WHL)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

Do you think Nico has shown explosiveness? Not sure I disagree all that much with him and I love Nico. He's more cerebral than explosive imo.

I'd kinda have to agree. Nico is an extremely smart player with great defensive awareness and offensive/playmaking abilties. But he isn't exactly flashy or explosive. It's not necessarily a bad thing though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

I'd kinda have to agree. Nico is an extremely smart player with great defensive awareness and offensive/playmaking abilties. But he isn't exactly flashy or explosive. It's not necessarily a bad thing though.

I mean, it's kind of unfortunate that we weren't able to grab a truly dynamic franchise level player first overall. He could follow the development path of Nathan MacKinnon of course, but I don't think we've seen a ton thus far that would indicate he's going to be 90+ point player.

That said I still think Nico has a really high ceiling and will be a fantastic player for us for a long time. You can tell the IQ is off the charts.

Should we end up drafting pretty high in this draft, I hope we get the opportunity to add a dynamic player. Preferably another center. Jack Hughes is probably a pipe dream but I think there are other options.

Depressing that we might be looking at another top 10 pick, but it really might be for the best. If we can add one more top flight talent a core of top talent consisting of Hall-Nico-Ty Smith-X could open a long window of contention. With the way the young kids are coming up and contributing to the NHL right away contention could be closer than we think. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Correct. I would call Bratt more explosive than Nico. 

I am not in favor of drafting anyone named Turcotte, but will accept it if he is not related to Darren Turcotte. We already did that sh!t once with Matteau and that was enough. 

His dad is Alfie Turcotte...former 1st-rounder of the Canadiens in 1983 (17th overall)...didn't do much as an NHLer (played about 110 games or so at the NHL level).

No relation to Darren (who on a side note I always thought looked like a whiny version of Charlie Sheen):

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/290043/alex-turcotte

Not Devils related but I still can't believe that the Avs will most likely be picking in the top 5 this year for essentially for swapping Duchene for Turris.   <---I know this was announced as a 3 way trade with the Preds but apparently Sakic negotiated the two deals separately.   

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Not Devils related but I still can't believe that the Avs will most likely be picking in the top 5 this year for essentially for swapping Duchene for Turris.   <---I know this was announced as a 3 way trade with the Preds but apparently Sakic negotiated the two deals separately.   

Also crazy that the 1st place Buffalo team could have 3 first round picks this year. Seems like the Sabres might have nailed the tank in a way that must make Edmonton envious.