2019 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

On 11/28/2018 at 7:32 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, it's kind of unfortunate that we weren't able to grab a truly dynamic franchise level player first overall. He could follow the development path of Nathan MacKinnon of course, but I don't think we've seen a ton thus far that would indicate he's going to be 90+ point player.

That said I still think Nico has a really high ceiling and will be a fantastic player for us for a long time. You can tell the IQ is off the charts.

Should we end up drafting pretty high in this draft, I hope we get the opportunity to add a dynamic player. Preferably another center. Jack Hughes is probably a pipe dream but I think there are other options.

Perfect storm style Nico puts everything together and gets a great supporting cast, I can see him being a "Nick Backstrom" level of player and that is absolutely fine with me. He might actually be able to score more goals than Backstrom in the long run too. 

On 11/28/2018 at 11:31 AM, Steadevils said:

Also crazy that the 1st place Buffalo team could have 3 first round picks this year. Seems like the Sabres might have nailed the tank in a way that must make Edmonton envious. 

Buffalo is almost certainly over preforming as of late, I am not convinced they'll keep it up, but even if they make it to the middle of the pack in the long run that is a huge improvement and your point is still valid. Edmonton is such a joke it's really unbelievable. 

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Perfect storm style Nico puts everything together and gets a great supporting cast, I can see him being a "Nick Backstrom" level of player and that is absolutely fine with me. He might actually be able to score more goals than Backstrom in the long run too. 

I think we’d all take that. Even if he’s never quite on that level offensively (almost a point per game), I’m hopeful Nico can end up being a perennial Selke winner/finalist type like a Patrice Bergeron. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It sounds like the name of a fvcking Drake’s cake. 

Or like one of those weird, foreign brand snacks you find in your seedier bodegas. Could be chocolate, could be fruit, you won't know until you buy it and eat it. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I think we’d all take that. Even if he’s never quite on that level offensively (almost a point per game), I’m hopeful Nico can end up being a perennial Selke winner/finalist type like a Patrice Bergeron. 

That might be a better comparison. I'm not sure what level Nick Backstrom's defensive skill is at and Nico is 100% a 200ft player.

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If Nico is Patrice Bergeron, he’ll be going to the HOF one day. That’ll do just fine lol.

• Like 2

Is there any reason that Kakko isn't getting a ton of hype yet? All I've seen from draft analysts is that this is the Jack Hughes draft so far. Kakko has 17 points in 23 games, and 4th on his team in points in the top Finnish league. I don't even think Laine was producing like that at this point of his draft year. I'm just starting to familiarize myself with this draft class, but there seem to be a bunch of players with high end skill. Seems like either Kakko or Podkolzin would be an excellent fit for NJ. We can dream...

21 minutes ago, nessus said:

Is there any reason that Kakko isn't getting a ton of hype yet? All I've seen from draft analysts is that this is the Jack Hughes draft so far. Kakko has 17 points in 23 games, and 4th on his team in points in the top Finnish league. I don't even think Laine was producing like that at this point of his draft year. I'm just starting to familiarize myself with this draft class, but there seem to be a bunch of players with high end skill. Seems like either Kakko or Podkolzin would be an excellent fit for NJ. We can dream...

Dano hoping and praying we get Hughes. He’s in serious trouble if he has to pronounce either the Russian or Finish kids names on a nightly basis. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Dano hoping and praying we get Hughes. He’s in serious trouble if he has to pronounce either the Russian or Finish kids names on a nightly basis. 

It was the only good part about having Tootoo and Ruutu at the same time. 

12 hours ago, nessus said:

Nothing will ever beat "Devante Pith-Smelly" for me

never say never... but i can't imagine something beating it either hahaha

funniest thing is that.... you don't just randomly say something like that out of the blues.... to me it's clear that he said it before as a joke with his friends or wtv.... it was certainly pre-programmed lol

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

never say never... but i can't imagine something beating it either hahaha

funniest thing is that.... you don't just randomly say something like that out of the blues.... to me it's clear that he said it before as a joke with his friends or wtv.... it was certainly pre-programmed lol

Picturing Dano looking in the mirror before the game saying "Smith-Pelly" over and over again, so he can get it right in the game, and then first opportunity after the puck drops, he says Smelly and he's very disappointed in himself. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Picturing Dano looking in the mirror before the game saying "Smith-Pelly" over and over again, so he can get it right in the game, and then first opportunity after the puck drops, he says Smelly and he's very disappointed in himself. 

Then Cangi trying to knock the bottle of booze off of Dano's hands, telling him that it's not worth it

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2019 NHL Draft midseason report from The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/785568/2019/01/29/pronman-2019-nhl-draft-midseason-rankings/

He sees the top 6 being a mix of 2 special prospects (Special prospect: Projects to be one of the very best players in the league at their position). And 4 Elite Prospects (
Elite prospect: Projects to be top 10-15 percent of the league at their position.). 

Special Prospect
Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP-USHL
May 14, 2001 | 5-foot-10 | 168 pounds

Hughes is one of the best USA prospects to be a first-year draft-eligible prospect. He’s an elite skater who is so tough when he gets going with speed. He’s got a high skill level and great vision with the puck and, at a standstill, he can make highly skilled plays QBing a power play. But what makes Hughes stand out from your typical playmaker is how he makes those plays at a million miles an hour. He’ll put pucks through legs while skating full speed and hit a target across the ice. His speed is his biggest strength and at times his biggest weakness. He has a small, slight frame and, unlike your typical elite playmakers – like Johnny Gaudreau and Pavel Datsyuk, who made a living not getting hit – Hughes gets hit a little more than you’d like.

Kaapo Kakko, LW, TPS-Liiga
Feb. 13, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 190 pounds

Kakko has had a fantastic season in Finland, playing significant minutes in the country’s top league. He’s got the high-end hands to make plays through defenders and the cute dangles that will make highlight reels. He’s incredibly smart offensively. Kakko can make the real tough passes and makes a lot of great decisions, but his creativity is what impressed me most. He’ll try stuff that most 17-year-olds can’t execute in junior, never mind versus pros. Kakko has good size, and he’s not afraid to lean on guys. His speed is just average for me. He’s not slow, but his skating is not the selling point of his game.

Elite NHL Prospect
Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge-WHL
Feb. 9, 2001 | 6-foot-3 | 185 pounds

Cozens is a well-rounded pivot who for the past two seasons in the WHL has consistently impressed. Cozens measures in at 6-foot-3 and is one of the best skaters in the draft. That combination alone makes him a handful to deal with when he comes barreling through the neutral zone. Cozens, though, has a high level of skill, intelligence and compete in his game; and most importantly, he shows all those attributes while playing fast. He’s not a dynamic playmaker, but he’ll have the odd play that will hit that level. Cozens can be deployed in any situation and competes hard every shift.

Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon-WHL
Jan. 21, 2001 | 6-foot-4 | 198 pounds

Dach is a right-shot centerman who measures in at around 6-foot-4 with a lot of skill and offensive IQ. He makes high-end plays to his teammates and through defenders with consistency. His vision particularly stands out. Dach can play all situations. He’s not the most physical big man, but he’s reliable defensively. He has good speed. His feet don’t match his skill and his first step could be a bit better, but overall he’s the total package. He hit a cold spell in the middle of this season that’s mildly concerning but not enough given how good a player he is.

Vasili Podkolzin, RW, SKA-MHL
June 24, 2001 | 6-foot-1 | 190 pounds

Podkolzin has been great everywhere he’s played this season. He’s super talented but also an incredible competitor. Podkolzin is very skilled and can make the flashy plays to deke defenders, but he rarely does that off a standstill or along the walls. Instead, Podkolzin is typically full speed ahead to the net. He’s also a very good playmaker and finisher who can take advantage of space if defenders give it to him by making a pass or sniping from a distance. He’s a fine/good skater but hustles so hard that he looks like he’s always going fast.

Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL
May 20, 2001 | six-foot | 168 pounds

Zegras has been fantastic all season for the USNTDP. He can run a power play with the best of them due to his vision. He has the high-end skill to feather pucks into the right spots. Zegras’ game isn’t static, though. He has good speed and very quick hands to evade checks. He’s not the biggest or bulkiest pivot, who has at times played wing this season, but he’s gotten steadily better in the physical parts of the game. Zegras isn’t a guy who you pick to run over guys, though; you’re drafting him to make plays and run your power play.

Edited by Steadevils
typo
  • Like 1