2019 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The Devils need some size so bad. Especially up front. Obviously I am torn though since NJ could be, potentially, passing up the best American forward since Patrick Kane. 

who would we be passing that's better than Matthews exactly? i know there's the word "potential" but i really really dont see hughes being better than matthews

Edited by SterioDesign

49 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

who would we be passing that's better than Matthews exactly? i know there's the word "potential" but i really really dont see hughes being better than matthews

Yea I don't count him. He is dead to use since he became part of the Maple Leaf faithful.

P.S. I also might have forgot he is American because fvck him. Hughes won't be better than Matthews.

I hope the off season brings us some size and grit. Michael Ferland type of player. (through draft or UFA) We don't scare anyone. Some teams "fear" Jets, Caps, Sharks

13 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Woooo! Mark your calendars ladies & gents: 

@FriedgeHNIC   NHL Draft Lottery will be earlier this year: April 9 — the night before the playoffs begin.

Sweet.  Gives us more time between June 21st to speculate who we're taking with the #1 overall pick.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Woooo! Mark your calendars ladies & gents: 

@FriedgeHNIC   NHL Draft Lottery will be earlier this year: April 9 — the night before the playoffs begin.

I like that they've moved it up.  Though I'll be honest, I was pretty sick of the Nico vs. Nolan debate by the time the draft came around.

• Like 1

Of the still remaining NCAA players, hopefully if J. Davies' team gets knocked out, he signs and plays in NJ. Maybe Bobo? if he's done. Not sure who else is out there.

Surely Fitzy has 1 or 2 "lined up"

15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

why's that? Berfors, Tedenby, Urbom, Boucher, Josefson and all those guys became exactly the star players we all thought they'd become

I don't think I'll ever forget how optimistic and excited I was about Josefson and Tedenby.  I don't know why, but those two guys seemed to have so much buzz and hype around them.  I think it was because when they were on the rise and drafted, it was during a time when we were still pretty good and still had a lot of our core remaining from the glory years of the mid 90s and early 2000s, and we didn't yet know what the future would turn out to be (i.e. these past 6 years or so).  I think it also has to do with the fact that they were drafted high (1st round), and one after the other.  We never really had a great Swede on the team either, and it seemed like these guys could be pretty dynamic, something of a Forsberg or Naslund type.  Tedenby was a bit more of a mystery because he didn't get much time and sort of flaked out, and Josefson obviously was around quite a bit the last few years, basically out of pure necessity to fill a very bleak roster that lacked talent among forwards, and he did nothing with his chance - a true bust.

Both of them were big disappointments.

Edited by NJDfan1711

15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

why's that? Berfors, Tedenby, Urbom, Boucher, Josefson and all those guys became exactly the star players we all thought they'd become

To be fair, I would take Urbom and Bergfors out of that list.  Urbom was not expected to be much and was serviceable as a spare D-man for his limited time here.

Bergfors actually did well enough in 09-10 to be considered a good enough "up and coming" player to be a piece in the Kovy trade.  We literally got the most amount of value out of him as we possibly could.

I was really talking about getting attached to potential draft picks and then losing out on them because someone else drafts them. Like right now if we don’t get a top 2 pick I want Turcotte but he’ll probably be gone by the time we draft. When we drafted Zacha I really wanted Barzal (don’t know how we dropped the ball there). 

But what SD said applies too.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

To be fair, I would take Urbom and Bergfors out of that list.  Urbom was not expected to be much and was serviceable as a spare D-man for his limited time here.

Bergfors actually did well enough in 09-10 to be considered a good enough "up and coming" player to be a piece in the Kovy trade.  We literally got the most amount of value out of him as we possibly could.

Boucher was a 4th-rounder too...some people just got way too excited when he was putting up some decent numbers in the AHL to start off his pro career (did have a nice year in the OHL too).  In his stints with the Devils, he never showed enough to really hope for much.  As of now, he's a productive AHLer, but won't ever be more.

while im glad we picked someone that came close to do something with Boucher.... with hindsight 20/20 im still wondering why you pick him over Gaudreau if you're going to swing for the fences like that...

They were playing the same league during their draft year... Boucher had 20 pts in 24 gp... 5'10...  Gaudreau had 72 pts in 60 gp... 5'9 and his team won the championship with him being the top player

i know Gaudreau is really small and skills which is the opposite of what Conte was looking for but damn...