2019 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

4 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Released my annual Draft Guide today, as usual, Top 250 rankings with scouting reports, mock drafts, class superlatives, etc:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2019/06/13/riding-pines-2019-nhl-draft-guide/

Check it out if you're so inclined, I'll likely be releasing some stand alone articles as well that break down some of what's already in the book. Hoping to have the book available on iTunes by tomorrow as well :cheers:

Good read. Good job CD. Your evals are quite different from other rankings.  But good detail & I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:52 PM, CommonDreads said:

Released my annual Draft Guide today, as usual, Top 250 rankings with scouting reports, mock drafts, class superlatives, etc:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2019/06/13/riding-pines-2019-nhl-draft-guide/

Check it out if you're so inclined, I'll likely be releasing some stand alone articles as well that break down some of what's already in the book. Hoping to have the book available on iTunes by tomorrow as well :cheers:

First of all great job. A lot of good stuff in there.

I couldn't disagree more with Podkolzin at #3 though and I don't think that's such a bold proclamation. I think he's going to fall, and not because he's committed to the KHL for two more years, but because there's just not much to get excited about with his game in comparison to the other top forward prospects a la Zegras, Turcotte, Caufield, etc..

Actually, Podkolzin's most standout trait to me, is a Zach Parise-like tenacity. He works hard to get everywhere he's going on ice. It looks like he's going to run out of steam at points but he never does. He doesn't have that effortless glide on the ice though and I don't think he has the same level elite offensive skills as other top prospect forwards either.

At quick glance, the other thing I noticed was Tomasino at #13. Very high. Interesting.

11 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

First of all great job. A lot of good stuff in there.

I couldn't disagree more with Podkolzin at #3 though and I don't think that's such a bold proclamation. I think he's going to fall, and not because he's committed to the KHL for two more years, but because there's just not much to get excited about with his game in comparison to the other top forward prospects a la Zegras, Turcotte, Caufield, etc..

Actually, Podkolzin's most standout trait to me, is a Zach Parise-like tenacity. He works hard to get everywhere he's going on ice. It looks like he's going to run out of steam at points but he never does. He doesn't have that effortless glide on the ice though and I don't think he has the same level elite offensive skills as other top prospect forwards either.

At quick glance, the other thing I noticed was Tomasino at #13. Very high. Interesting.

I love the offensive tools he has in combination with that tenacity, I'm higher on him than most at this point but he has the hands to score highlight reel goals and is willing to drive in on defenders in order to create chances, but I love how he can be dangerous without having to drive the net either since he can score from the outside with his shot.

I personally think his production in Russia (or lack thereof) has been overblown considering his lack of ice time in the VHL, but I also can't blame people for dropping him below guys like Turcotte or Byram. This is a strong top 10 and I've really enjoyed seeing the different debates on who everyone values in each spot.

I have Pod at #3 on my board, but I realistically have him mocked at 9th to the Ducks. I love the kid, but he's likely gonna fall.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I love the offensive tools he has in combination with that tenacity, I'm higher on him than most at this point but he has the hands to score highlight reel goals and is willing to drive in on defenders in order to create chances, but I love how he can be dangerous without having to drive the net either since he can score from the outside with his shot.

I personally think his production in Russia (or lack thereof) has been overblown considering his lack of ice time in the VHL, but I also can't blame people for dropping him below guys like Turcotte or Byram. This is a strong top 10 and I've really enjoyed seeing the different debates on who everyone values in each spot.

I have Pod at #3 on my board, but I realistically have him mocked at 9th to the Ducks. I love the kid, but he's likely gonna fall.

I think that's a fair assessment. I wouldn't really take much issue if you had him behind a few other guys - as this is a wide open draft with lots of talent. In terms of best player available though, I just can't put him ahead of Turcotte who is pretty close to a full set of tools, Zegras' playmaking capabilities, Caufield, etc...

Edited by Neb00rs

Here is a little Mock Draft I did of the 1st Round...  based on nothing other than my thoughts and what I have read.  I am not an expert at all here...  just read a lot!

1 New Jersey Jack Hughes C USNTDP (USHL)
2 NY Rangers Kaapo Kakko RW TPS Turku (SM-liiga)
3 Chicago Alex Turcotte C US-Under-18(USAH-NTDP)
4 Colorado  Trevor Zegras C US-Under-17(USAH-NTDP)
5 Los Angeles Bowen Byram D Vancouver(WHL)
6 Detroit Kirby Dach C Saskatoon(WHL)
7 Buffalo Cole Caufield RW US-Under-17(USAH-NTDP)
8 Edmonton Philip Broberg D AIK(Allsvenskan)
9 Anaheim Dylan Cozens C Lethbridge(WHL)
10 Vancouver Matthew Boldy RW US-Under-17(USAH-NTDP)
11 Philadelphia Vasily Podkolzin RW Vityaz Podolsk HC (Rus Jr)
12 Minnesota Peyton Krebs C Winnipeg Ice(WHL)
13 Florida Spencer Knight G US-Under-17(USAH-NTDP)
14 Arizona Alexander Newhook C Victoria (BCHL)
15 Montreal Raphaël Lavoie C Halifax (QMJHL)
16 Colorado Moritz Seider D Mannheim (DEL)
17 Las Vegas Cam York D USNTDP (USHL)
18 Dallas Philip Tomasino RW Niagara (OHL)
19 Ottawa  Arthur Kaliyev RW Hamilton (OHL)
20 Winnipeg  Ryan Suzuki C London (OHL)
21 Pittsburgh Thomas Harley D Mississauga(OHL)
22 Los Angeles  Connor McMichael C London (OHL)
23 NY Islanders Victor Söderström D Brynäs IF (SHL)
24 Nashville Matthew Robertson D Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
25 Washington Jakob Pelletier C Moncton (QMJHL)
26 Calgary Tobias Björnfot D Djurgården(Allsvenskan)
27 Tampa Bay Samuel Poulin RW Sherbrooke(QMJHL)
28 Carolina Bobby Brink LW Sioux City(USHL)
29 Anaheim  Alex Vlasic D USNTDP (USHL)
30 Boston Brett Leason RW Prince Albert(WHL)
31 Buffalo  Yegor Afanasyev RW Muskegon(USHL)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

Here is a little Mock Draft I did of the 1st Round...  based on nothing other than my thoughts and what I have read.  I am not an expert at all here...  just read a lot!

That puts you ahead of some of the professionals commenting on it. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That's pretty cool. 

if you have a twitter that guy is definitely worth the follow. Not sure if he posts here or not but his work is awesome. I've posted some of his concept jerseys before.

HAHA case in point: this post I hadn't seen until just now 

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

Looking back at that mock draft above, I think it's crazy to think that Dach falls to 12. Yikes. That'd be a huge steal for the Wild. I'm not that high on him - I think he could go before or after Cozens, Caulfield, Zegras, and Co. but that combination of size and skill... I can't see him falling past 10. I think his floor is 8.

Edited by Neb00rs

4 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Also a Happy "Finally, the Hughes/Kappo talk will finally end" day to you as well.

Devils select Jack, we focus on Jack and let the Rags focus on Kappo.

It isn't going to end...it is just going to pivot the discussion from "who goes first" to "who is better". After that it will pivot to who was better for their career. It's not going to end any time soon.

• Like 3

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

It isn't going to end...it is just going to pivot the discussion from "who goes first" to "who is better". After that it will pivot to who was better for their career. It's not going to end any time soon.

Yeah this will be one of those longtime discussions in this area for sure

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

and i predict that both fanbase will have their own opinion of who's the best that not a single fact on earth could shake lol

Yup, I’m sure there are Rangers fans who would make the argument that Lundqvist was better than Marty. 

• Haha 2