2019 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

Not to cheap shot Kaapo Kakko on his language/personality, but I think what I've realized this weekend is that with all this Hughes vs. Kakko hullabaloo, it was never really discussed about Kakko's personal fit in a big market New York City team. He'd actually never been to New York before until Sunday, has kind of removed himself from some of the big media events of the last few months (did not take part in the Combine, is not based in America, so media hits are few and far between).

Having seen a few short bits and videos the Rangers have done welcoming him to the city, I wonder if any language barrier or his general (more muted) personality is any indication of him needing some significant time adjusting to a big market team like the Rangers. Sure, we joke around about how they're 3rd/4th fiddle to other sports in the region, but it's still undoubtedly going to be different than what Hughes will have to deal with. And imagine not having been to New York before?! He's just a kid, never played the North American game! Hasn't really had the opportunity to adjust the weather, travel, food, life of this place; and it seems that hasn't been as much of a talking point as I would've thought it'd be.

On the flipside, he also seems like the kind of player where none of that could really matter, it's possible he just does what he does and his quality and strengths as a player just speak for themselves. He's been a silent killer over the last year, it's possible he just does the same in the NHL.

He just seems more awkward and as not tuned up for media, as any top 1/2 pick I can remember. For the rivalry's sake, I hope both players really come out of the gate and bring NJ/NY hockey discussions back to prominence in this market.

Edited by DJ Eco

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this way, and I think this article does a better job of it: https://elitesportsny.com/2019/06/24/weight-of-new-york-rangers-franchise-cannot-be-put-on-kaapo-kakko/

We know how Rangerstown regards its shiny new toys and puts all their hope and dreams into one player to turn it all around for them, it's how the NY sports media conditions people in New York to think.

Just now, DJ Eco said:

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this way, and I think this article does a better job of it: https://elitesportsny.com/2019/06/24/weight-of-new-york-rangers-franchise-cannot-be-put-on-kaapo-kakko/

We know how Rangerstown regards its shiny new toys and puts all their hope and dreams into one player to turn it all around for them, it's how the NY sports media conditions people in New York to think.

Definitely agree with you. I hope for his sake they don't crush the kid, not that I am wishing him any particular success in that jersey but I can imagine it will be daunting. Hopefully he gets what he needs to make the transition- personally and professionally. And a haircut.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Definitely agree with you. I hope for his sake they don't crush the kid, not that I am wishing him any particular success in that jersey but I can imagine it will be daunting. Hopefully he gets what he needs to make the transition- personally and professionally. And a haircut.

I also look at all the connections Hughes is able to come to Jersey with. He knows Hynes/Shero from USA Hockey, where he also played with Schneider. He's trained with and spoken to Hall in the last couple years, and is spending this summer in Toronto, where he said he's most likely training with Hall in some capacity as well. He has a 1st overall pick in Nico who's 2 years older and I'm sure will take him under his wing along with Hall. On day 1 of prospect camp, he'll have Patrick Moynihan and Case McCarthy by his side, 2 of his boys from USNTDP.

^ That's a BIG (and crucial) and wide-ranging support system for an 18 year old kid. You'll recall, Shero traded for Mueller a few days before we drafted Nico for another Swiss presence on the team. Even when we took Zacha, we did so knowing we had a pretty wide group of Czechs on the team to make him feel at home.

In contrast, Kaapo Kakko comes in having never been to New York before, with no Finnish veteran teammates, no connection to Finland U21/U18, some language (and I'm sure media/confidence) barrier. If I'm the Rangers, I go sign Filppula as a Boyle figure on July 1st, you absolutely can't task Kakko with figuring this all out on his own, he'll be a headcase. Of course his skill could simply shine through and he could prove everything I just said WRONG, but why risk it?

Edited by DJ Eco

18 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Had he been drafted by any other team, he's the kind of guy I'd follow. I don't wish any ill will on an 18 year old, but I do wonder how those fans and media respond if this kid doesn't hit the ground running. 

They (the media) are already ready to give up on Lias Andersson. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

59 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I made the mistake of watching the Rangers draft table behind the scenes. Right before they drafted Kakko one of them was like, "'The great one' and now 'the next one.'" And then mentioned something similar to Kakko's face on stage, even name dropping Gretzky. And then at their draft party...just forget it, they're ready to retire his jersey.

Credit to JD. He clearly realizes the kind of ridiculousness that they engage in and has tried to pump the brakes on the expectations a few times.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I hate to wish ill will on an 18 year old kid...

...no I don't. He's a Ranger now. I hope he fails as hard as anyone has ever failed. Just like his barber. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2019 at 12:03 PM, Lateralous said:

While traveling for work, I extended my trip this weekend and caught junior games in Kingston on Friday night and Ottawa Saturday night.   Having gone in not knowing much about any of the teams, I got to see the 67s twice and one kid that stood out for the upcoming draft was Graeme Clarke.  He scored a lacrosse goal on Friday night that was awesome.  Unfortunately I was down low in the far end of the arena, so I didn't clearly see what happened until the replay.   Looking it up today, I've seen a few rankings that project Clarke to go in the second round.  Maybe he ends up getting picked with one of the Devils 3 second round picks.     

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/potn-clarke-playing-lacrosse-again

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

Repost from March.  Clarke scored a fantastic goal the first night I saw him. 

• Like 3

Case McCarthy seems like an amazing pick. Very well spoken and personable. He reminds me of what we were hoping for when Santini was drafted: a solid stay at home defenseman who is a physical force and a great leader. Except McCarthy's game seems far superior in a number of aspects. He's a better skater, and seems way beyond where Santini was as far as shutting guys down. He also looks to have more potential to contribute on offense too. Some seem to think we will see the offense develop quite a bit while he's at BU. Surprised we got him in the 4th round.

It's really tough to pick my favorite selection that the Devils made (outside of Hughes) when McCarthy, Misyul, Moynihan, and Gritsyuk are all looking really good.

• Like 4

All that has been said about how the Rangers handle their players rings true.  That NY media is a three-ring circus, and they take no prisoners. It would help Kaako if he hit the ground running once the season starts.  Post-season baseball for the Yankees wouldn't hurt, either.  That would give the media-types something else to talk about, keeping their eyes off MSG for a while....

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

For anyone's who's interested, here's the "Welcome to the NHL" video from the Draft. It follows Jack, Cole, Dylan & Kakko - it's only 23 minutes but funny (I thought) & worth the time.

Kakko's brother got what he wanted. Good. Enjoy the traffic and the piss smell. It's nothing like a European city.

Man, the hate some of you have for NYC is so strange to me. I despise the Rags as much as anyone, but the city itself? I’ve immensely enjoyed it every time I’ve gone there. Maybe it’s because I’m an outsider to the area, but it being some 70’s era Taxi Driver like sh!thole has not been my experience at all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Man, the hate some of you have for NYC is so strange to me. I despise the Rags as much as anyone, but the city itself? I’ve immensely enjoyed it every time I’ve gone there. Maybe it’s because I’m an outsider to the area, but it being some 70’s era Taxi Driver like sh!thole has not been my experience at all.

I definitely don't get what's so great about it. I've been to a decent amount of cities and the only one I found to be dirtier was Paris. It happens to be the one I live closest to but I'd rather go to Smelladelphia than NYC.

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

is it really that strange though? I mean deep down.... you know why right? haha

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I did like NYC quite a bit when I was in my 20s, when I was living in Clifton for a while...really not my bag now.  I just find the general experience to be vastly overrated in general...though I’m definitely not a “city guy” (grew up in Hillsborough, now living in Clinton), I’ve been to some cities that I’ve enjoyed.  Part of the turnoff for me is that New Yorkers in general have that awful and abrasive Noo Yawk blowhard accent (think Mike Francesa) and are just so damned unfriendly.  Go to London and it’s scary how nice those people are.  But I’ll admit, I tend not to be a huge fan of East Coast cities in general, with the exception of specific areas within those cities.  I can’t rightly say I have any great love for Philly, Baltimore, DC, or Boston (though I’d have to say I’d prefer them to NYC).  

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If you’re implying it’s a Ranger thing...it’s not.  Ask a lot of Jersey folk how they feel about NYC, and you’ll get a wide range of answers...even within families.  Some love it.  Some don’t.  Some like me were into it at one point in their lives, but found it less enjoyable as they aged or simply became interested in different experiences (of course, for some it goes the other way...they discover what it has to offer later, and get into it then).  

I’m to the point where I really hate going...the crowds, the traffic, the general rudeness...not my thing anymore.  I only go when I absolutely have to.  

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It has nothing to do with whatever Ranger bias thing you think it does. Much like CR76, I loved the city when I was younger but these days I just find going there a huge and expensive hassle. I know a lot of people in the Jersey area still like it but it's just not my thing. Once you sit across from some guy smacking his fun parts around on the subway, the city loses some charm. 

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I love New York City. 

Part of it is probably because the Yankees are my 1B to the Devils’ 1A. Part of it is probably because I worked and lived there, and absolutely adored every minute of it - even the smelly ones. 

Im not going to speculate why people do and don’t love the city, because that’s kinda silly. So I’ll just chime in that my hatred of the Rangers doesn’t coincide with my hatred of the city. I cannot say the same about the Flyers or the Bruins. 

I like everything about Philly and Boston except the people who are from Philly and Boston

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I did like NYC quite a bit when I was in my 20s, when I was living in Clifton for a while...really not my bag now.  I just find the general experience to be vastly overrated in general...though I’m definitely not a “city guy” (grew up in Hillsborough, now living in Clinton), I’ve been to some cities that I’ve enjoyed.  Part of the turnoff for me is that New Yorkers in general have that awful and abrasive Noo Yawk blowhard accent (think Mike Francesa) and are just so damned unfriendly.  Go to London and it’s scary how nice those people are.  But I’ll admit, I tend not to be a huge fan of East Coast cities in general, with the exception of specific areas within those cities.  I can’t rightly say I have any great love for Philly, Baltimore, DC, or Boston (though I’d have to say I’d prefer them to NYC).  

My experiences have been quite the opposite actually. My first couple times there people couldn’t have been nicer when it came to directions, navigating the subway etc...

Actually, the only time anyone was really an absolute a$$hole to us up there was in NJ. We were riding the train back from NYC and apparently we were in the “quiet car” (seriously?) and we were talking, and a guy stood up and was a total nose about it. It really took a lot for me to not start anything. In my younger years it would have probably escalated into something really quickly. 

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It has nothing to do with whatever Ranger bias thing you think it does. Much like CR76, I loved the city when I was younger but these days I just find going there a huge and expensive hassle. I know a lot of people in the Jersey area still like it but it's just not my thing. Once you sit across from some guy smacking his fun parts around on the subway, the city loses some charm.

That’s literally every big city though. Vancouver is hands down the most beautiful city I’ve ever been to, but even there we found one neighborhood that had a really bad homeless problem. It was not a pretty sight. 

Although, their Sky Train is much nicer than the NY subway. That’s for sure. 

39 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s literally every big city though. Vancouver is hands down the most beautiful city I’ve ever been to, but even there we found one neighborhood that had a really bad homeless problem. It was not a pretty sight. 

Although, their Sky Train is much nicer than the NY subway. That’s for sure. 

I should clarify, I'm not a fan of cities in general. That was just a specific moment. I'm much more of a suburb or woods person. My point was more that people can dislike the city for reasons other than the Rangers