2019 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

the local Rangers element was not as well represented in an institute of higher learning.

Of course. That would require multiple active and working brain cells, something the typical Rag fan lacks.

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Of course. That would require multiple active and working brain cells, something the typical Rag fan lacks.

i said it without saying it. 

You just came out and said it. 

We were both correct. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

1) You always think that I don't understand your points. The problem is that I do, but they are generally off-base at best, and completely ridiculous most of the time. 

2) We aren't "bringing up something negative' in our lives. Hating the Rangers is a positive. I have a sh!t ton of fun hating the Rangers and I have for years. So have other people. That's why we engage in the joyous camaraderie of chanting about how much they suck. It has nothing to do with our lives sucking. That's a completely ignorant statement that has no basis. 

3) I will grant you, it does mean we're thinking about them when they aren't there. But that's ok, we're thinking about hating our most hated rival. That's what you're supposed to do when you're a die hard fan. That's how you have a rivalry. Granted, you've already demonstrated that you have no idea how to be a fan when you rooted against your "second favorite team" in the Finals. 

4) PLEASE, let's not get into things that make each of us losers. I guarantee every one of us has something like that going on. 

yeah hold on to that "second fav team" thing when i explained it a million times but you just refuse to understand it or at least try. See your point 1. i know you're not trying to understand that one cause then you couldnt make smartass posts about it

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Rags fans must feel pretty inferior to Denis Potvin then, because they still chant about him 30+ years later.... including on nights where the Rags aren’t playing the Islanders, and on nights where Denis Potvin isn’t within 2,500 miles of MSG. Also, no offense man, but people from outside the area truly have no clue how it is here with the rivalry locally. You don’t get it. Live here for a while and you will, believe me... but until then, you really don’t understand the whole dynamic between the fans and the hatred. Its difficult to explain unless you live here.

Well they must yeah cause thats also a very dumb thing to do lol Ok so why are Rangers Fans not chanting Devils sucks during games where they are not playing the Devils?

I've literally never heard of any other teams in sports doing that. It's seriously sad.

And stop with the whole, "you don't understand rivalry" and bla bla bla. I bet i understand it more than you do. I was part of it man. I was playing sports in a town where there was a french highschool and 2 english highschool. I was captain and top scorer of the team and i was targeted and bullied by english people from the other school because of that, some people legit hated me for that. The hatred was cultural and deeply rooted, way beyond just a regional and historical rivalry. It's basically racism but with languages. It was not just a fun "ha ha we hate the other team". The hate was real and it drove people to do crazy sh!t. It went for generations and it's still going. I've seen people getting beat up in the stands, i've seen people getting beat up (with a fvcking skateboard) for showing up at parties. I broke a dude's pelvis (accidentally) during a game and i was a fvcking hero the next day at school cause the dude was from that school. People got their cars vandalized. People got injured playing sports. Once there was a march from one school to the other for a huge brawl cause some sh!t went down and some students were fvcking armed. Cops had to get involved and all.

So seriously, stop acting like i'm some ignorant who doesn't understand rivalry as if it only exist in some bubble around the Hudson river

Yet what i've never seen is our crowd chanting BHS sucks! when we were playing another team, that's just straight up ridiculous

9 hours ago, devlman said:

Lol yet you bring up the Habs every time you lecture someone on why they’re an ignorant fan

When it's in context i sure bring it up cause its part of my personal experience. And they are the worst fanbase in the league, there's just no other fanbase with such a history of doing incredibly dumb things. I can't even tell who could be second

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And stop with the whole, "you don't understand rivalry" and bla bla bla. I bet i understand it more than you do.

Yeah ok. I stopped reading after that. I, born and raised in NJ my entire life, who went to school with Rags fans since kindergarten, worked with about 150 different Rags fans over the years, who has a cousin who grew up two towns over from me who was a die-hard Rags fan, who has attended about 754 Devils-Rags games over the last 34 years, who converted his mother- who worked at Madison Square Garden in the 60’s and 70’s, and until I came along was- you guessed it- a Rags fan- know less about the dynamic of the Devils-Rangers rivalry than you, who had never set foot in NJ in your life. Got it bro. Tell me more about it, I’m dying to know. 

DD6FC225-1301-439D-805B-C750F3ACEC26.gif

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah ok. I stopped reading after that. I, born and raised in NJ my entire life, who went to school with Rags fans since kindergarten, worked with about 150 different Rags fans over the years, who has a cousin who grew up two towns over from me who was a die-hard Rags fan, who has attended about 754 Devils-Rags games over the last 34 years, who converted his mother- who worked at Madison Square Garden in the 60’s and 70’s, and until I came along was- you guessed it- a Rags fan- know less about the dynamic of the Devils-Rangers rivalry than you, who had never set foot in NJ in your life. Got it bro. Tell me more about it, I’m dying to know. 

DD6FC225-1301-439D-805B-C750F3ACEC26.gif

I'm talking about "rivalry" in general.

If the whole chanting Rangers sucks was such a thing about such a phenomenom then the Rangers would chant Devils sucks too right? But they don't. Only our fans are.

You can't just paint that as "ohhh it's a rivalry thing, you don't understand". No. I understand rivalry. This is just dumb

I know you want to believe your rivalry is more special than any other rivalry in the world but it's not. To be fair it's one of the best in the NHL because of the proximity but still. Doesnt mean other people can't understand it, there's rivalry everywhere in the world, it's really not a complicated thing

Edited by SterioDesign

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm talking about "rivalry" in general.

If the whole chanting Rangers sucks was such a thing about such a phenomenom then the Rangers would chant Devils sucks too right? But they don't. Only our fans are.

You can't just paint that as "ohhh it's a rivalry thing, you don't understand". No. I understand rivalry. This is just dumb

I know you want to believe your rivalry is more special than any other rivalry in the world but it's not. To be fair it's one of the best in the NHL because of the proximity but still. Doesnt mean other people can't understand it, there's rivalry everywhere in the world, it's really not a complicated thing

I said you don’t understand the dynamic of THIS RIVALRY, THIS PARTICULAR RIVALRY, NOT RIVALRY IN GENERAL. How fvcking hard is that to grasp? And you don’t. I’m glad you know what a rivalry is, but you have no fvcking idea what you’re taking about when it comes to THIS ONE. THIS ONE. I’ll defer to you on your lacrosse rivalry or whatever the fvck you were yammering on about, I’m sure you know more about that one than I do. 

Edited by MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Rangers fans chant Potvin sucks during every home game in reference to the Islander great. Duke Basketball, the most storied college basketball team in the world screams Carolina Eat Sh!t during every home game since 1982. A common greeting to those who attend Army is “Go army beat navy.” Yankees fans proudly wear FTRS shirts to Home games; that stands for Fvck The Red Sox. Kentucky basketball sells officially licensed shirts that say “I hate Christian Laettnar” because of a shot he hit against them in 1992. 

Stop talking out of your ass. You’re embarrassing yourself. 

Thanks for the lesson hun but because those things are happening is not making any of them less dumb. If you think it's cool. Well good for you. I think it's dumb to wear socks with sandals. Some people like it. It's an opinion

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I've literally never heard of any other teams in sports doing that. It's seriously sad.

You must not know or watch European soccer then because they’ll sing about how they hate their rivals no matter what time of day it is. But you know rivalries, so who am I to tell you...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devlman said:

You must not know or watch European soccer then because they’ll sing about how they hate their rivals no matter what time of day it is. But you know rivalries, so who am I to tell you...

There's a clear difference between understanding the concept of rivalry and being able to tell when something is dumb in the name of rivalry.

European soccer fans literally killed players for losing games. There's nobody worst

Ok keep moving the goalposts on this one...you think something a large portion of the local fan base does is dumb. You don’t happen to live in this area. Put one and one together. The reasonable conclusion is that your opinion on it is tainted from your geography. You either really don’t understand the dynamic or think very lowly of our fan base. It’s likely both in your case.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Thanks for the lesson hun but because those things are happening is not making any of them less dumb. If you think it's cool. Well good for you. I think it's dumb to wear socks with sandals. Some people like it. It's an opinion

How is disliking the Rangers any dumber than your blind hatred of the Canadiens?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

How is disliking the Rangers any dumber than your blind hatred of the Canadiens?

Well first of all i never said it was dumb to dislike the Rangers... so your comment is just wrong.

I'd also love to know where you get the "blind hatred" thing lol

(just watch... wtv you say as logical as it could be i'll just say that you don't understand it cause you don't live here and pretend that i'm winning the argument that way)

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well first of all i never said it was dumb to dislike the Rangers... so your comment is just wrong.

Is the hated not blind? Because I don't see much of a reason, unless they are the same reasons people down here have for hating the rangers

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Is the hated not blind? Because I don't see much of a reason, unless they are the same reasons people down here have for hating the rangers

Well i do think there's many many similarities between the hatred a fanbase like NY and MTL can bring to rivals. Incredibly entitled fans would be #1 IMO.

Still, my point was never about if disliking a rival was justified or not. My only point was that i think it's dumb for any team from any sports to voice their hate like that when another team is in the building. Put your energy on your own team or against the team they are playing. Especially if the other team is not even doing it with you... then its even more sad

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

(just watch... wtv you say as logical as it could be i'll just say that you don't understand it cause you don't live here and pretend that i'm winning the argument that way)

It isn’t an argument. We are telling you how something is. You are completely misunderstanding it because you live in the Maritimes. That’s the A to B.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

It isn’t an argument. We are telling you how something is. You are completely misunderstanding it because you live in the Maritimes. That’s the A to B.

Then why are the Rangers not doing it? Chanting Devils sucks when they are playing the freagin Canucks? Are the Islanders doing it too?

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Then why are the Rangers not doing it? Chanting Devils sucks when they are playing the freagin Canucks? Are the Islanders doing it too?

Why does it matter if the rangers do it? We need their permission and formally coordinated response to voice our disliking of them? Their dynamic towards us isn’t necessarily the same as ours towards them. They make their dislike of us in other ways.

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Then why are the Rangers not doing it? Chanting Devils sucks when they are playing the freagin Canucks?

Because they already chant about how they think Denis Potvin sucks. Two chants is even lamer than one, so it says in the Rivalry Book of Rules™️, but if you knew anything about TRUE RIVALRIES you’d have already known that sh!t! Now, If you’d like, I can check with the local rubes down here and see if we can get a petition going to change it to ‘Messier Sucks’ instead. How would that be? Would the Rivalry Pope approve of such a move?!?!

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Because they already chant about how they think Denis Potvin sucks. Two chants is even lamer than one, so it says in the Rivalry Book of Rules™️, but if you knew anything about TRUE RIVALRIES you’d have already known that sh!t! Now, If you’d like, I can check with the local rubes down here and see if we can get a petition going to change it to ‘Messier Sucks’ instead. How would that be? Would the Rivalry Pope approve of such a move?!?!

its the offseason so it's no big deal even if we stretch very useless conversations. But i just keep repeating myself over and over answering to like 4-5 different posters.

I personally think it's dumb to chant anything about a team or a person that isn't even in the building when you are playing another team. Get a neck tattoo, paint your car, have all your walls in your house plastered with Rangers sucks. Sweet. But when you're playing another team, focus on that team or your team. I don't care if it's my team doing it, a rival team or another team from another sports from another country. I think it's all equally dumb. That's it. That's really all i have to say about this. Im not saying i want them to stop, i'm just saying i think it's dumb

So do you think that Potvin chant is cool? Since you brought it up as an example i assume you do think it's a good idea though obviously

Edited by SterioDesign

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

its the offseason so it's no big deal even if we stretch very useless conversations. But i just keep repeating myself over and over answering to like 4-5 different posters.

I personally think it's dumb to chant anything about a team or a person that isn't even in the building when you are playing another team. I don't care if it's my team doing it, a rival team or another team from another sports from another country. I think it's all equally dumb. That's it. That's really all i have to say about this.

So do you think that Potvin chant is cool? Since you brought it up as an example i assume you do think it's a good idea though obviously

And you’re entitled to your opinion. Live and let live. And to answer your question-  yeah by itself the Potvin chant is dumb, but it just became a tradition for Rag fans to do it- something that just happened organically that became part of the experience of attending Rag games. And that’s what makes it ‘cool’. It wasn’t intentional, it was born out of a moment of true hatred (Potvin hit some Rag in the head I think, and whiny Rag fans never got over it). I can respect that lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah hold on to that "second fav team" thing when i explained it a million times but you just refuse to understand it or at least try. See your point 1. i know you're not trying to understand that one cause then you couldnt make smartass posts about it.

Again, it’s not that I don’t understand, it’s just that your statements and “explanations” are incredibly stupid. The bottom line is, to you the Devils exist on the internet and TV and you have no clue about the dynamics of the rivalry beyond what you’ve read. The fact that you know what a rivalry is does not mean you understand what it’s actually like to be a Devils fan. 

Not saying you can’t be from elsewhere and support the team, obviously you can. But when there’s a local rivalry and you aren’t local, you’ll never fully understand it. 

There were multiple examples given of other teams chanting about certain opponents whether or not that opponent is present. You basically ignored them all because they didn’t support your position. 

It’s a part of sports and anyone who follows sports knows this. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

. I’ll defer to you on your lacrosse rivalry or whatever the fvck you were yammering on about, I’m sure you know more about that one than I do. 

Ooh....a lacrosse rivalry?    Which?    Love Lax!!

Just now, MB3 said:

You can't call yourself a lacrosse fan if you don't know that he's referring to French_Highschool_1 and their top goalscorer Stereo versus English_Highschool_1 AND English_Highschool_2.

Hand in your fan card, man.  

You’re my second favorite NJDevs poster. 

• Like 1