2019 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

SD, I respect that you're a big time Devils fan who doesn't live in the area, and god knows our team could use more of those types of fans (maybe Hughes/PK has helped us in that regard). I admire your passion for the team despite not having that local/personal drive that fuels a lot of our own fandom in the NY metro area. Respect.

But on that note, you're also missing a lot of that local/personal drive that fuels a lot of the rivalry in our NY metro area. Not saying it's anything like the hockey-crazy cities of Montreal or Toronto, but being a Devils fan around here opens you up to a good amount of (mostly playful) hostility, especially if you work in New York City like many of us do. It's just a feature of being a hockey fan around here, it'll always be within the prism of the NY/NJ rivalry. Older generations of hockey fans were Rangers fans because the Devils didn't exist yet, slightly younger generations of hockey fans are Rangers fans because their dads were, and the wheels of the rivalry never stop churning because of that; especially with Kakko/Hughes added to the mix.

There's really no escaping the Devils-Rangers dynamic, our state is so small that you can't escape it. Some of our parents are Rangers fans, our favorite bars may have Rangers paraphernalia, our coworkers greet us at our desks the day after a signing like Panarin, etc., that type of sh!t. Then sprinkle on top of that every non-hockey fan in the metro area that "roots for New York" and wants to joke around with you for being for New Jersey, because our state is the butt of all kinds of jokes. As you can imagine, it gets annoying, and we go into each season with a chip on our shoulder.

Naturally, the fans keep the wheels turning, and I can see how it's seen as really dumb from someone who doesn't live here; I get it. But if you lived here, you'd better understand it, I think that goes without saying.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i do think there's many many similarities between the hatred a fanbase like NY and MTL can bring to rivals. Incredibly entitled fans would be #1 IMO.

Still, my point was never about if disliking a rival was justified or not. My only point was that i think it's dumb for any team from any sports to voice their hate like that when another team is in the building. Put your energy on your own team or against the team they are playing. Especially if the other team is not even doing it with you... then its even more sad

You sure have a lot of rules about how other people should be fans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Then why are the Rangers not doing it? Chanting Devils sucks when they are playing the freagin Canucks? Are the Islanders doing it too?

The Rags fans still do the Potvin Sucks chant every game.  The Isles fans do a Rangers sucks chant every game.  It's not like we are the only ones doing it.  It has become a tradition, for better for worse.  If it gets the fans engaged and making some noise, I'm ok with it.

The annoying part with the Rangers suck chant that we do is (a) that it is done 10x per period, and (b) the part about how the Flyers swallow, Crosby watches, Avery gives a reach around, Kane's a rapist, etc., etc.  I mean, all of that may be true, but its a little classless to broadcast it to the world like that 41 nights a year.  Just my 2 cents.

7 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

The annoying part with the Rangers suck chant that we do is (a) that it is done 10x per period, and (b) the part about how the Flyers swallow, Crosby watches, Avery gives a reach around, Kane's a rapist, etc., etc.  I mean, all of that may be true, but its a little classless to broadcast it to the world like that 41 nights a year.  Just my 2 cents.

That I agree with. A quick "Rangers Suck" is all that's needed. I'm not sure how much longer I can prevent my 12 year old daughter from hearing that. She definitely heard one "Kane's a Rapist" last season and she was shocked. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Again, it’s not that I don’t understand, it’s just that your statements and “explanations” are incredibly stupid. The bottom line is, to you the Devils exist on the internet and TV and you have no clue about the dynamics of the rivalry beyond what you’ve read. The fact that you know what a rivalry is does not mean you understand what it’s actually like to be a Devils fan. 

Not saying you can’t be from elsewhere and support the team, obviously you can. But when there’s a local rivalry and you aren’t local, you’ll never fully understand it. 

There were multiple examples given of other teams chanting about certain opponents whether or not that opponent is present. You basically ignored them all because they didn’t support your position. 

It’s a part of sports and anyone who follows sports knows this. 

Oh. So let me get this straight...

I just love how you can lecture me and say that my explanations and statements about a "second favourite team" are incredibly stupid.

And in the same breath tell me that I can't really understand the dynamics of the NJ-NYR rivalry cause i don't live in that situation.

Do you live in my situation? Has Boston being the closest NHL city for you all your life?  Way closer than my actual favourite team. Have you been surrounded by Habs/Leafs/Bruins fans fans your whole life not knowing any other Devils fans to be on your side? 

You don't right? So why are my explanations stupid? You must know that you don't understand my dynamic? So then why would you say such things?

my support for devils is the most and cheerest support than you. The most supporting support of supporting supports.

Imho Fans must booing and hating each other. It helps blow off steam(i don`t know english version of this frase). When i studied at school i heard that sport competition made for something like that

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Oh. So let me get this straight...

I just love how you can lecture me and say that my explanations and statements about a "second favourite team" are incredibly stupid.

And in the same breath tell me that I can't really understand the dynamics of the NJ-NYR rivalry cause i don't live in that situation.

Do you live in my situation? Has Boston being the closest NHL city for you all your life?  Way closer than my actual favourite team. Have you been surrounded by Habs/Leafs/Bruins fans fans your whole life not knowing any other Devils fans to be on your side? 

You don't right? So why are my explanations stupid? You must know that you don't understand my dynamic? So then why would you say such things?

Because I don't need to understand your "dynamic". Nobody said anything about the rivalry between the Bruins, Leafs and/or Habs other than you. It's not what we're discussing. 

If your first favorite team is the Devils, and they didn't make the playoffs, and your second favorite team is the Bruins, and they are in the Finals, you're supposed to root for the Bruins, because they are your second favorite team. Your proximity to the Leafs or Habs is irrelevant, because either a) you don't like them more than you like the Bruins, otherwise they would be your second favorite, and b) Neither the Leafs nor the Habs were playing in the Finals, so you couldn't root for either of those teams if you wanted to.

Also, this completely destroys your argument as to the Devils-Rangers thing, because here you are bringing up completely irrelevant teams in an improper context, which is exactly what you criticized our fan base for doing. 

Its a simple fact that any idiot (or even you) can understand. What the fvck would you have a "second favorite team" for if they make the Finals against a team that is not your first favorite team and you root against them? How could you want your second favorite team to lose in that situation? You can't. The answer is either a) they aren't your second favorite, or b) they are, and its incredibly stupid. 

5 minutes ago, Guadana said:

my support for devils is the most and cheerest support than you. The most supporting support of supporting supports.

Imho Fans must booing and hating each other. It helps blow off steam(i don`t know english version of this frase). When i studied at school i heard that sport competition made for something like that

No, you knew it, you got it right. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Because I don't need to understand your "dynamic". Nobody said anything about the rivalry between the Bruins, Leafs and/or Habs other than you. It's not what we're discussing. 

If your first favorite team is the Devils, and they didn't make the playoffs, and your second favorite team is the Bruins, and they are in the Finals, you're supposed to root for the Bruins, because they are your second favorite team. Your proximity to the Leafs or Habs is irrelevant, because either a) you don't like them more than you like the Bruins, otherwise they would be your second favorite, and b) Neither the Leafs nor the Habs were playing in the Finals, so you couldn't root for either of those teams if you wanted to.

Also, this completely destroys your argument as to the Devils-Rangers thing, because here you are bringing up completely irrelevant teams in an improper context, which is exactly what you criticized our fan base for doing. 

Its a simple fact that any idiot (or even you) can understand. What the fvck would you have a "second favorite team" for if they make the Finals against a team that is not your first favorite team and you root against them? How could you want your second favorite team to lose in that situation? You can't. The answer is either a) they aren't your second favorite, or b) they are, and its incredibly stupid. 

No, you knew it, you got it right. 

Well this is the problem. I'm giving you my angles and why im saying things. Then you discard those and just keep saying it's dumb, not trying to understand... then say that you understand and that i only think you don't understand. Based on what you keep saying. No you didnt understand. You sound a lot more interested in taking what im saying and twisting it in a way where you can be johnny fun fun and make people laugh and be a smart ass. 

I'm not by any means playing the victim here but you keep dragging this and bringing it up when you just didn't get it. This whole thing started with me saying that the Bruins has been my "2nd fav team" (in bracket and explain that it was just shorter to say it like that vs the 2nd team i don't mind seeing winning the most" or something) whenever the Devils were out cause they were the closest to my city and because of the Habs/Bruins rivalry. Followed by that this year Marchand was such a fvcking jackass that it made me not want them to win, it was that bad AND THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT to say he was so bad that he made me not want a team im usually okay cheering for to lose. How is that complicated to grasp? And that i was glad to see a new team like the Blues winning the cup, cause they deserved it and there's no player that i hate on that team. I explained that it's not like i have a deep rooted love for them or any real commitment, the Devils are my team. They are just a team i don't mind cheering for usually because of the situation.

Yet even after all that you keep pinning it like i have a Bruins tattoo across the neck and that im dumb for rooting against them.

Same with the damn chant thing. I said i personally think it's dumb. I'm not telling other people to change their mind about it. Im stating my opinion. Yet to some it's like i'm saying that they shouldnt hate the rangers or something. Which is so far from what ive been saying

Edited by SterioDesign

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well this is the problem. I'm giving you my angles and why im saying things. Then you discard those and just keep saying it's dumb, not trying to understand... then say that you understand and that i only think you don't understand. Based on what you keep saying. No you didnt understand. You sound a lot more interested in taking what im saying and twisting it in a way where you can be johnny fun fun and make people laugh and be a smart ass. 

I'm not by any means playing the victim here but you keep dragging this and bringing it up when you just didn't get it. This whole thing started with me saying that the Bruins has been my "2nd fav team" (in bracket and explain that it was just shorter to say it like that vs the 2nd team i don't mind seeing winning the most" or something) whenever the Devils were out cause they were the closest to my city and because of the Habs/Bruins rivalry. Followed by that this year Marchand was such a fvcking jackass that it made me not want them to win, it was that bad AND THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT to say he was so bad that he made me not want a team im usually okay cheering for to lose. How is that complicated to grasp? And that i was glad to see a new team like the Blues winning the cup, cause they deserved it and there's no player that i hate on that team. I explained that it's not like i have a deep rooted love for them or any real commitment, the Devils are my team. They are just a team i don't mind cheering for usually because of the situation.

Yet even after all that you keep pinning it like i have a Bruins tattoo across the neck and that im dumb for rooting against them.

Same with the damn chant thing. I said i personally think it's dumb. I'm not telling other people to change their mind about it. Im stating my opinion. Yet to some it's like i'm saying that they shouldnt hate the rangers or something. Which is so far from what ive been saying

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 2.01.25 PM

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 2.01.25 PM

Well there you prove my point that you're a lot more interested in being mr funny guy than to actually try to understand what im saying and have an actual discussion and actually read a whole fvcking post i made just trying to explain things to you.

super cool man, super respectful too

Edited by SterioDesign

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well there you prove my point that you're a lot more interested in being mr funny guy than to actually try to understand what im saying and have an actual discussion and actually read a whole fvcking post i made just trying to explain things to you.

super cool man, super respectful too

Nobody can understand what you are saying because you’re ridiculous. Like that guy.