Sign in to follow this  
CommonDreads

2019 NHL Draft Thread

23 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm sorry...Kaapo Kaako is a real person's name???

It sounds like the name of a fvcking Drake’s cake. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/28/2018 at 7:32 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, it's kind of unfortunate that we weren't able to grab a truly dynamic franchise level player first overall. He could follow the development path of Nathan MacKinnon of course, but I don't think we've seen a ton thus far that would indicate he's going to be 90+ point player.

That said I still think Nico has a really high ceiling and will be a fantastic player for us for a long time. You can tell the IQ is off the charts.

Should we end up drafting pretty high in this draft, I hope we get the opportunity to add a dynamic player. Preferably another center. Jack Hughes is probably a pipe dream but I think there are other options.

Perfect storm style Nico puts everything together and gets a great supporting cast, I can see him being a "Nick Backstrom" level of player and that is absolutely fine with me. He might actually be able to score more goals than Backstrom in the long run too. 

On 11/28/2018 at 11:31 AM, Steadevils said:

Also crazy that the 1st place Buffalo team could have 3 first round picks this year. Seems like the Sabres might have nailed the tank in a way that must make Edmonton envious. 

Buffalo is almost certainly over preforming as of late, I am not convinced they'll keep it up, but even if they make it to the middle of the pack in the long run that is a huge improvement and your point is still valid. Edmonton is such a joke it's really unbelievable. 

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Perfect storm style Nico puts everything together and gets a great supporting cast, I can see him being a "Nick Backstrom" level of player and that is absolutely fine with me. He might actually be able to score more goals than Backstrom in the long run too. 

I think we’d all take that. Even if he’s never quite on that level offensively (almost a point per game), I’m hopeful Nico can end up being a perennial Selke winner/finalist type like a Patrice Bergeron. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Or like one of those weird, foreign brand snacks you find in your seedier bodegas. Could be chocolate, could be fruit, you won't know until you buy it and eat it. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I think we’d all take that. Even if he’s never quite on that level offensively (almost a point per game), I’m hopeful Nico can end up being a perennial Selke winner/finalist type like a Patrice Bergeron. 

That might be a better comparison. I'm not sure what level Nick Backstrom's defensive skill is at and Nico is 100% a 200ft player.

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If Nico is Patrice Bergeron, he’ll be going to the HOF one day. That’ll do just fine lol.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I thought it sounded like the Italian version of Capocollo….Gabbagool. 

• Like 1

As long as his last name isn't Kaka, because up until the 2016 draft, most of our first round picks have been kaka! 

Is this considered a strong draft or another top heavy draft? 

Is there any reason that Kakko isn't getting a ton of hype yet? All I've seen from draft analysts is that this is the Jack Hughes draft so far. Kakko has 17 points in 23 games, and 4th on his team in points in the top Finnish league. I don't even think Laine was producing like that at this point of his draft year. I'm just starting to familiarize myself with this draft class, but there seem to be a bunch of players with high end skill. Seems like either Kakko or Podkolzin would be an excellent fit for NJ. We can dream...

21 minutes ago, nessus said:

Is there any reason that Kakko isn't getting a ton of hype yet? All I've seen from draft analysts is that this is the Jack Hughes draft so far. Kakko has 17 points in 23 games, and 4th on his team in points in the top Finnish league. I don't even think Laine was producing like that at this point of his draft year. I'm just starting to familiarize myself with this draft class, but there seem to be a bunch of players with high end skill. Seems like either Kakko or Podkolzin would be an excellent fit for NJ. We can dream...

Dano hoping and praying we get Hughes. He’s in serious trouble if he has to pronounce either the Russian or Finish kids names on a nightly basis. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Dano hoping and praying we get Hughes. He’s in serious trouble if he has to pronounce either the Russian or Finish kids names on a nightly basis. 

It was the only good part about having Tootoo and Ruutu at the same time. 

54 minutes ago, nessus said:

Nothing will ever beat "Devante Pith-Smelly" for me

A couple times it was just “Devante Smelly” too. Amazing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, nessus said:

Nothing will ever beat "Devante Pith-Smelly" for me

never say never... but i can't imagine something beating it either hahaha

funniest thing is that.... you don't just randomly say something like that out of the blues.... to me it's clear that he said it before as a joke with his friends or wtv.... it was certainly pre-programmed lol

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

A couple times it was just “Devante Smelly” too. Amazing!

Too bad we never had Grant Clitsome. 

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Too bad we never had Grant Clitsome. 

That's one's just funny when you say it the real way, you don't even have to mess it up. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

never say never... but i can't imagine something beating it either hahaha

funniest thing is that.... you don't just randomly say something like that out of the blues.... to me it's clear that he said it before as a joke with his friends or wtv.... it was certainly pre-programmed lol

Picturing Dano looking in the mirror before the game saying "Smith-Pelly" over and over again, so he can get it right in the game, and then first opportunity after the puck drops, he says Smelly and he's very disappointed in himself. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Picturing Dano looking in the mirror before the game saying "Smith-Pelly" over and over again, so he can get it right in the game, and then first opportunity after the puck drops, he says Smelly and he's very disappointed in himself. 

Then Cangi trying to knock the bottle of booze off of Dano's hands, telling him that it's not worth it

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Then Cangi trying to knock the bottle of booze off of Dano's hands, telling him that it's not worth it

Normally, I'd say too soon, but its been over 20 years so its fine, and funny

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

15203800.gif