Sign in to follow this  
CommonDreads

2019 NHL Draft Thread

Getting Huges would be nice, but those big boys on the board at 2-5 would be really helpful on a team of lightweights too.

19 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Getting Huges would be nice, but those big boys on the board at 2-5 would be really helpful on a team of lightweights too.

Agreed..I have read this writer's draft previews and prospect rankings for a few years now and he  is usually is a bit of a wet blanket in terms of rating prospects, so the fact that he has 6 players in the special/elite range is encouraging for the depth at the top of this draft. For instance in 2018 he only had Dahlin as special and had 0 prospects in the elite category.  

This draft has the same feeling at the top as the year Nico was drafted to me. Two guys, both could easily go first, one guy has been injured for a period. 

Going to be exciting to see who we pick up. The two second round picks is also a massive bonus. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Just posted my Midterm Rankings for this year's Draft. I talk about the top of the draft briefly which looks like it's going to be of interest to us. Also go over who's currently trending up and down for me, check it out if you'd like :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2019/02/14/2019-nhl-draft-rankings-midterms/

Awesome read on the top 6! Really excited to plug one of these guys in to a young core of potential stars. A Nico/Ty Smith/?? young core really could be special, especially if it is one of the top 2 this year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Just posted my Midterm Rankings for this year's Draft. I talk about the top of the draft briefly which looks like it's going to be of interest to us. Also go over who's currently trending up and down for me, check it out if you'd like :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2019/02/14/2019-nhl-draft-rankings-midterms/

Thanks for sharing your post. My understanding is the team that drafts Hughes can expect to get an Eichel-level player. Then Kakko doesn't look like he's very far behind.

What is your opinion on the ceiling of someone like Podkolzin? He looks very impressive in the videos I've seen, and he did have a strong world juniors performance, but don't his numbers in the Russian leagues seem a bit low for someone who looks to be the consensus #3 in this draft? He doesn't seem anywhere close to being at the level of some of the recently drafted Russian players who have had major success at the NHL level, judging by MHL/VHL stats alone. Would you say that he is comparable to Kravtsov from the 2018 draft in terms of upside?

It seems that this is a strange draft in the sense that there are a lot of reports saying that the top 10 forwards after Kakko are all high level prospects, but it doesn't seem like many of them have put up points to suggest that this is a particularly strong draft class. Maybe I'm missing something here, but it almost seems like Byram wouldn't be a bad pick if you're outside the top 3.

4 hours ago, nessus said:

Thanks for sharing your post. My understanding is the team that drafts Hughes can expect to get an Eichel-level player. Then Kakko doesn't look like he's very far behind.

What is your opinion on the ceiling of someone like Podkolzin? He looks very impressive in the videos I've seen, and he did have a strong world juniors performance, but don't his numbers in the Russian leagues seem a bit low for someone who looks to be the consensus #3 in this draft? He doesn't seem anywhere close to being at the level of some of the recently drafted Russian players who have had major success at the NHL level, judging by MHL/VHL stats alone. Would you say that he is comparable to Kravtsov from the 2018 draft in terms of upside?

It seems that this is a strange draft in the sense that there are a lot of reports saying that the top 10 forwards after Kakko are all high level prospects, but it doesn't seem like many of them have put up points to suggest that this is a particularly strong draft class. Maybe I'm missing something here, but it almost seems like Byram wouldn't be a bad pick if you're outside the top 3.

The Russian leagues are more low scoring than most, so I always find it hard to gauge players just based on scoring pace alone. However, the player I see when I watch Podkolzin play is Nikita Kucherov – skilled, quick, competitive, good shot, Podkolzin shares all those traits with Kucherov and based off numbers their draft year numbers aren’t too far off from one another. Podkolzin in particular has been the best player at just about every international tournament he’s played at in the past year with the exception of the WJC, but even there I thought he was good despite being in a lesser role.

I’m actually a big fan of this draft class personally, particularly the top 11 or 12. Last year was a great year for defense and this year I think is a great year for centers. Alongside Hughes obviously being a stud, I think Cozens, Dach, and maybe Zegras have the potential to be top line centers with others like Newhook and Krebs knocking on the door to be considered in that vein as well. You’re right about Byram though, I think he’s hands down the best defenseman in this draft and he reminds me a lot of Pietrangelo in the way he can really play any brand you want from the backend, I think he’ll be a top pair guy someday

• Like 3