Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CommonDreads

2019 NHL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

Getting Huges would be nice, but those big boys on the board at 2-5 would be really helpful on a team of lightweights too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Getting Huges would be nice, but those big boys on the board at 2-5 would be really helpful on a team of lightweights too.

Agreed..I have read this writer's draft previews and prospect rankings for a few years now and he  is usually is a bit of a wet blanket in terms of rating prospects, so the fact that he has 6 players in the special/elite range is encouraging for the depth at the top of this draft. For instance in 2018 he only had Dahlin as special and had 0 prospects in the elite category.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This draft has the same feeling at the top as the year Nico was drafted to me. Two guys, both could easily go first, one guy has been injured for a period. 

Going to be exciting to see who we pick up. The two second round picks is also a massive bonus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Just posted my Midterm Rankings for this year's Draft. I talk about the top of the draft briefly which looks like it's going to be of interest to us. Also go over who's currently trending up and down for me, check it out if you'd like :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2019/02/14/2019-nhl-draft-rankings-midterms/

Awesome read on the top 6! Really excited to plug one of these guys in to a young core of potential stars. A Nico/Ty Smith/?? young core really could be special, especially if it is one of the top 2 this year. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Just posted my Midterm Rankings for this year's Draft. I talk about the top of the draft briefly which looks like it's going to be of interest to us. Also go over who's currently trending up and down for me, check it out if you'd like :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2019/02/14/2019-nhl-draft-rankings-midterms/

Thanks for sharing your post. My understanding is the team that drafts Hughes can expect to get an Eichel-level player. Then Kakko doesn't look like he's very far behind.

What is your opinion on the ceiling of someone like Podkolzin? He looks very impressive in the videos I've seen, and he did have a strong world juniors performance, but don't his numbers in the Russian leagues seem a bit low for someone who looks to be the consensus #3 in this draft? He doesn't seem anywhere close to being at the level of some of the recently drafted Russian players who have had major success at the NHL level, judging by MHL/VHL stats alone. Would you say that he is comparable to Kravtsov from the 2018 draft in terms of upside?

It seems that this is a strange draft in the sense that there are a lot of reports saying that the top 10 forwards after Kakko are all high level prospects, but it doesn't seem like many of them have put up points to suggest that this is a particularly strong draft class. Maybe I'm missing something here, but it almost seems like Byram wouldn't be a bad pick if you're outside the top 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nessus said:

Thanks for sharing your post. My understanding is the team that drafts Hughes can expect to get an Eichel-level player. Then Kakko doesn't look like he's very far behind.

What is your opinion on the ceiling of someone like Podkolzin? He looks very impressive in the videos I've seen, and he did have a strong world juniors performance, but don't his numbers in the Russian leagues seem a bit low for someone who looks to be the consensus #3 in this draft? He doesn't seem anywhere close to being at the level of some of the recently drafted Russian players who have had major success at the NHL level, judging by MHL/VHL stats alone. Would you say that he is comparable to Kravtsov from the 2018 draft in terms of upside?

It seems that this is a strange draft in the sense that there are a lot of reports saying that the top 10 forwards after Kakko are all high level prospects, but it doesn't seem like many of them have put up points to suggest that this is a particularly strong draft class. Maybe I'm missing something here, but it almost seems like Byram wouldn't be a bad pick if you're outside the top 3.

The Russian leagues are more low scoring than most, so I always find it hard to gauge players just based on scoring pace alone. However, the player I see when I watch Podkolzin play is Nikita Kucherov – skilled, quick, competitive, good shot, Podkolzin shares all those traits with Kucherov and based off numbers their draft year numbers aren’t too far off from one another. Podkolzin in particular has been the best player at just about every international tournament he’s played at in the past year with the exception of the WJC, but even there I thought he was good despite being in a lesser role.

I’m actually a big fan of this draft class personally, particularly the top 11 or 12. Last year was a great year for defense and this year I think is a great year for centers. Alongside Hughes obviously being a stud, I think Cozens, Dach, and maybe Zegras have the potential to be top line centers with others like Newhook and Krebs knocking on the door to be considered in that vein as well. You’re right about Byram though, I think he’s hands down the best defenseman in this draft and he reminds me a lot of Pietrangelo in the way he can really play any brand you want from the backend, I think he’ll be a top pair guy someday

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no way on Earth we actually draft 10 players from the 2019 Draft, is there? Ray has to have plans to move some of those picks at some point, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, mfitz804 said:

There's no way on Earth we actually draft 10 players from the 2019 Draft, is there? Ray has to have plans to move some of those picks at some point, I think. 

Maybe just shotgun method this draft and increase our odds on hitting on a few pieces that can grow along with some of the other young pieces? Really need to build a young core as the overall depth in the pipeline is not great. Some low floor talent, but not a lot of high ceiling talent. Really do need a fair amount more to build around Nico/new top 5 pick. 

The U 22 players that I see as NHLers (rough ranking based off of my guess on likelihood of them becoming NHL regulars). I don't mean to de-rail this thread, just wanted to highlight how poor our young talent depth really is still, which might make using the picks a good idea.

1.Nico

2. Bratt

3. ty smith

4. boqvist

5. Zacha

6. Anderson

7. Blackwood

8. Mcleod

9. Davies

10. Walsh

Then a bunch of question marks that hopefully surprise and impress. 

Edited by Steadevils

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a few intriguing players I think we could nab with those 2nd and 3rd rounders this year. Patrik Puistola, Nathan Legare, and maybe even Pavel Dorofeyev are all guys I could see us getting in the early 2nd (Philip Tomasino would be my pipe dream, but the way I see it he'll be a 1st round lock by season's end), and then if we nabbed anyone from the Russian class this year I'd be happy. I really love all of Dmitri Sheshin, Yegor Spiridonov, Yegor Afanasyev, Mikhail Abramov, and Yegor Serdyuk. We got options if we use all those picks, for sure.

 

EDIT: Matvei Guskov too, I could see him having a breakout year next year for London if he stays there

Edited by CommonDreads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

There's a few intriguing players I think we could nab with those 2nd and 3rd rounders this year. Patrik Puistola, Nathan Legare, and maybe even Pavel Dorofeyev are all guys I could see us getting in the early 2nd (Philip Tomasino would be my pipe dream, but the way I see it he'll be a 1st round lock by season's end), and then if we nabbed anyone from the Russian class this year I'd be happy. I really love all of Dmitri Sheshin, Yegor Spiridonov, Yegor Afanasyev, Mikhail Abramov, and Yegor Serdyuk. We got options if we use all those picks, for sure.

We should definitely draft all of those Yegors and then healthy scratch all of them every game. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First I’ve heard of Podkolzin making comments about not wanting to play in NA. 

That pick would worry me. We’ve already been burned by one Russian...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

First I’ve heard of Podkolzin making comments about not wanting to play in NA. 

That pick would worry me. We’ve already been burned by one Russian...

Yeah I’m kind of not feeling drafting Russians early on. Seems too risky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Jerzey said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-mock-draft-2019-senators-rangers-ducks-gain-stock-trade-deadline-edition/4n62ocox915e1374vojas1odx

 

This mock has us taking Zegras with our 1st. I won’t pretend to know anything about him so I’ll just say sounds good to me. I’m sure one of you can give a better opinion/valuation of this pick.

Zegras is arguably the best playmaking center in this draft, but he really is a pure playmaker kind of guy like Nick Backstrom. Zegras' vision is elite and he's one of the smartest players in this draft, he's a natural center but he's played on the LW on Jack Hughes' line as well this season.

I wouldn't hate the idea of Zegras at that spot, but there's a handful of players I would prefer, including Podkolzin in spite of the Russian factor (that kid is simply amazing, you take the risk imo). I would likely consider Cozens and Dach ahead of him, but I'm starting to consider bumping Zegras ahead of those two the more I watch Zegras.

EDIT: Just wanted to show a clip of how good of a playmaker Zegras is, it's plays like this that make me think he has a chance of getting into the top 5. He was great at this tournament, #11 on USA.

giphy.gif

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s interesting how in this draft, Hughes is the unanimous #1 pick. But he isn’t as good of a prospect as Matthews was, and Kakko is arguably an equal if not better prospect than Laine was. We all knew Matthews was going first in 2016, but there really wasn’t much of a gap. Kakko would be so tough to pass on if you’re picking first overall. I think he is really close to Hughes, and being underrated by a lot of the analysts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm drafting first overall.. you gotta take the center. 

Unless Kakko has an insane surge here as we approach the draft and he becomes the without-a-doubt consensus 1st overall pick (which seems unlikely), you've gotta go with Hughes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the lottery goes poorly for us, I'd like to end up with Byram.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While traveling for work, I extended my trip this weekend and caught junior games in Kingston on Friday night and Ottawa Saturday night.   Having gone in not knowing much about any of the teams, I got to see the 67s twice and one kid that stood out for the upcoming draft was Graeme Clarke.  He scored a lacrosse goal on Friday night that was awesome.  Unfortunately I was down low in the far end of the arena, so I didn't clearly see what happened until the replay.   Looking it up today, I've seen a few rankings that project Clarke to go in the second round.  Maybe he ends up getting picked with one of the Devils 3 second round picks.     

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/potn-clarke-playing-lacrosse-again

 

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

While traveling for work, I extended my trip this weekend and caught junior games in Kingston on Friday night and Ottawa Saturday night.   Having gone in not knowing much about any of the teams, I got to see the 67s twice and one kid that stood out for the upcoming draft was Graeme Clarke.  He scored a lacrosse goal on Friday night that was awesome.  Unfortunately I was down low in the far end of the arena, so I didn't clearly see what happened until the replay.   Looking it up today, I've seen a few rankings that project Clarke to go in the second round.  Maybe he ends up getting picked with one of the Devils 3 second round picks.     

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/potn-clarke-playing-lacrosse-again

 

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

Pretty dope goal.  Awesome that you got to extend your trip and catch some games too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Daniel said:

If the lottery goes poorly for us, I'd like to end up with Byram.

Some people say this guy is good enough to go top 3, so I would say this would be a great selection if we move back a few spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 2:46 PM, nessus said:

It’s interesting how in this draft, Hughes is the unanimous #1 pick. But he isn’t as good of a prospect as Matthews was, and Kakko is arguably an equal if not better prospect than Laine was. We all knew Matthews was going first in 2016, but there really wasn’t much of a gap. Kakko would be so tough to pass on if you’re picking first overall. I think he is really close to Hughes, and being underrated by a lot of the analysts. 

What do the Devils need more? A right wing or a centre? Have to say the thought of a Hall, Nico, Kakko top line is pretty tempting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.