2019 NHL Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded:  but they act they like do.  The organization and their fanbase truly believe that they are the NHL equivalent of the Yankees, simply by virtue of playing in NYC (and more on that below, as to how players help to feed into that).  There's nothing quite like it...the Rangers are literally the ONLY franchise and fanbase in this area that carries themselves in such a way.  I'm a Met fan, and if you look at it on paper, the Rangers are FAR closer to being the Mets than they could ever possibly dream of being to the Yankees.  But one thing you won't see is Mets fans acting like their franchise isn't a complete joke.  Those of us who are insane enough to follow them KNOW it is. 

As far as being completely oblivious to reality goes, the only other NY franchise that I think comes close at the moment is the Knicks...and it's only the franchise, really.  Their fans know the deal and don't act like they have this incredibly rich history chock full of successful traditions.  The Knick franchise is FINALLY realizing that simply playing in NYC isn't necessarily enough on its own to entice big names...so maybe they start to wake up, though I can't imagine James Dolan ever finding a clue about anything.  The Mets have been in this same boat for years (rotten owners are always a killer), but they keep doing enough to sabotage themselves that they may NEVER find a way to cash in on the whole NY sex appeal thing, without doing a whole lot of winning first.  The Mets' image as a collection of meddling dysfunctional buffoons is more firmly ingrained now more than it's ever been...maybe even more than it was in the late 70s-early 80s. 

The truly baffling thing about the Rangers is that they are kind of like the Yankees in one way and one way only...the Yanks could be terrible for 10 straight years, but there will ALWAYS be bigger-name players who will sign there in a heartbeat...but I GET that.  The Yankees earned their legacy through many years of real tradition and success.  They've built their brand through generation after generation of a hell of a lot of winning.

Why the fvcking RANGERS of all teams seem to get this same respect from players who can't wait to sign there no matter how pedestrian the track record...that I admit fvcking baffles me to no end. 

Players want to sign with the Rangers because they're in New York City and the team throws around a lot of money.  It has the added the bonus that you get the benefits of playing and living in NYC without the downside of constant media attention.  When the Rangers really suck, the local media just loses interest, whereas the Knicks and Mets sucking will be back page news in and of itself. 

And to my knowledge, the Canadiens (or any other franchise that I can think of) don't retire numbers of players that last played with the organization more than 40 years earlier. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Jack Hughes day ladies and gentleman 

Me before the draft : "It'd be bad if Shero ends up making 10 picks" Shero: "here's Subban and I'm gonna make 11 picks, dummy."

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I like NYC.  I think it is a fun city and there are always a ton of things to do there.

I do also think NYC is slightly overrated.  I did like NYC more when I was in my 20's as well but these days it is just a hassle as well as relatively expensive to even get there.  My wife absolutely loves NYC but these days I am kind of meh towards it.  It definitely is better than Philly which I find to be boring after about an hour or so and I find people there to be more unfriendly than NYC.

The one thing I will say is that while I find most NY'ers to be friendly in general, let's not kid ourselves and think that they don't sh!t on NJ any chance they get.

Well when you gotta go, you gotta go. 

14 hours ago, MB3 said:

Your analogies are absolutely terrible, dude. How are our opponents considered our wives/gfs in this situation? 

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah that makes no sense. I’m pretty sure the Islanders don’t give a sh!t if we say the Rangers suck.

In actuality, it’s more like hanging out with your boys and talking about your ex, which is always acceptable even if she isn’t there. Which supports my position, the Rangers and your ex both suck whether they are there or not. 

Only doesn't make sense when you don't try to understand the point. It's just plain sad.

If you choose to focus on something negative in your life and constantly bring it up even when you're having a good time with other people. It's because your life sucks and you can't get over it. Successful people simply don't do that, it's a loser thing to do

If anything it's empowering the Rangers cause it shows that they are bothering you that much even when they are not even playing you. It's screaming insecurity and inferiority complex

Edited by SterioDesign
6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Only doesn't make sense when you don't try to understand the point. It's just plain sad.

If you choose to focus on something negative in your life and constantly bring it up even when you're having a good time with other people. It's because your life sucks and you can't get over it. Successful people simply don't do that, it's a loser thing to do

If anything it's empowering the Rangers cause it shows that they are bothering you that much even when they are not even playing you. It's screaming insecurity and inferiority complex

1) You always think that I don't understand your points. The problem is that I do, but they are generally off-base at best, and completely ridiculous most of the time. 

2) We aren't "bringing up something negative' in our lives. Hating the Rangers is a positive. I have a sh!t ton of fun hating the Rangers and I have for years. So have other people. That's why we engage in the joyous camaraderie of chanting about how much they suck. It has nothing to do with our lives sucking. That's a completely ignorant statement that has no basis. 

3) I will grant you, it does mean we're thinking about them when they aren't there. But that's ok, we're thinking about hating our most hated rival. That's what you're supposed to do when you're a die hard fan. That's how you have a rivalry. Granted, you've already demonstrated that you have no idea how to be a fan when you rooted against your "second favorite team" in the Finals. 

4) PLEASE, let's not get into things that make each of us losers. I guarantee every one of us has something like that going on. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The Rags fans must feel pretty inferior to Denis Potvin then, because they still chant about him 30+ years later.... including on nights where the Rags aren’t playing the Islanders, and on nights where Denis Potvin isn’t within 2,500 miles of MSG. Also, no offense man, but people from outside the area truly have no clue how it is here with the rivalry locally. You don’t get it. Live here for a while and you will, believe me... but until then, you really don’t understand the whole dynamic between the fans and the hatred. Its difficult to explain unless you live here.

Edited by MadDog2020
7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Rags fans must feel pretty inferior to Denis Potvin then, because they still chant about him 30+ years later.... including on nights where the Rags aren’t playing the Islanders, and on nights where Denis Potvin isn’t within 2,500 miles of MSG. Also, no offense man, but people from outside the area truly have no clue how it is here with the rivalry locally. You don’t get it. Live here for a while and you will, believe me... but until then, you really don’t understand the whole dynamic between the fans and the hatred. Its difficult to explain unless you live here.

I can’t even imagine living so close to such a hated rival. My other team I follow is the Bengals, and even though Pittsburgh is over 4 hours away from Cincinnati, it’s really annoying how well they travel. There’s as many people in piss yellow and black as there is orange and black when we play them here. I hate it. 

You guys having to actually live amongst Rags fans in your own state has to suck. At least the Devils have been the much more successful franchise though. Meanwhile, my football team hasn’t won a playoff game since the first Bush was in office, and we have to hear about the Steelers having “6 titles and counting” 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I can’t even imagine living so close to such a hated rival. My other team I follow is the Bengals, and even though Pittsburgh is over 4 hours away from Cincinnati, it’s really annoying how well they travel. There’s as many people in piss yellow and black as there is orange and black when we play them here. I hate it. 

You guys having to actually live amongst Rags fans in your own state has to suck. At least the Devils have been the much more successful franchise though. Meanwhile, my football team hasn’t won a playoff game since the first Bush was in office, and we have to hear about the Steelers having “6 titles and counting” 

yeah but at least you had Ochocinco in his prime..... right?

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Lol yet you bring up the Habs every time you lecture someone on why they’re an ignorant fan

Edited by devlman
Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

yeah but at least you had Ochocinco in his prime..... right?

Chad is actually my favorite player of all time. He helped make the Bengals fun again (and relevant) after a lot of dark years in the 90s. For that I’ll always have a soft spot for him. Still the best foot work of any WR I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Though Ranger fans tend to be dopey, witless, and annoying in a "bunch of gnats flying around your face while you're running and sweating during an especially humid summer day" kind of way, their team's track record makes it easy to smack them down...yes, they've clearly had more success in general as of late, but when that doesn't result in a championship, it's not as big of a deal.  Most of the time, though I goof on the Ranger faithful quite a bit on here, when I see them out and about, I usually just ignore them and chuckle internally. 

Being a Met fan among Yankees fans, that's tougher.  Obviously there will always be a healthy contingent of Mets fans around due to multigenerational, NL allegiances (formal local Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants fans who latched onto the Mets, who smartly even tied aspects of the team's uniform to both teams), so it's not quite like the Devils/Rangers, where we're outnumbered by a fair margin.  But a down year for the Yankees is finishing with less than 90 wins and not making the playoffs.  Their last losing season was in 1995.  They recently managed to miss the playoffs in three out of four seasons (but STILL tallied winning records each year), and their fans will actually use words like "suffering" to describe their "misery".  As crazy and as entitled as that sounds, in a way, who can blame them?  That organization has set the bar so high that yeah, their fans really do think they're supposed to make the playoffs almost every year!  As a Met fan, you know you are NEVER competing with that...when your team is fvcked right from the top (as the Mets clearly will be as long as the Wilpons insist on not selling), the only way you will have any sustained success is to accidently fall into it...basically get insanely lucky with some young talent.  Maybe Alonso and McNeil are the beginning of that...who the hell knows?

But anyway, I find it more difficult to be a Met fan among Yankee fans, than anything Devils/Rangers related...even though of course, it's not really like the Mets and Yankees can even be considered legit rivals. 

Not sure how it is for Jets fans among Giants fans.  Giants obviously can win big on occasion, but they slip on their share of banana peels.  They just don't do it with as much gusto as the Jets often do.  And four Super Bowls (three of which were upsets) definitely helps the Giants with currency. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I can’t even imagine living so close to such a hated rival.

You should've tried being in my high school in the early 90's, there were basically three Devils fans including me, and a ton of obnoxious Rangers fans who were at the ready to heap abuse on us at any time. As you might imagine, this was intensified in 1994. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately, idk) I was already in college in 1995 and the local Rangers element was not as well represented in an institute of higher learning. So I never had the chance to give it back. 

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You should've tried being in my high school in the early 90's, there were basically three Devils fans including me, and a ton of obnoxious Rangers fans who were at the ready to heap abuse on us at any time. As you might imagine, this was intensified in 1994. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately, idk) I was already in college in 1995 and the local Rangers element was not as well represented in an institute of higher learning. So I never had the chance to give it back. 

I was the only Devils fan in my middle school in Orange County NY. 1994 was hell.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

the local Rangers element was not as well represented in an institute of higher learning.

Of course. That would require multiple active and working brain cells, something the typical Rag fan lacks.

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Of course. That would require multiple active and working brain cells, something the typical Rag fan lacks.

i said it without saying it. 

You just came out and said it. 

We were both correct. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

1) You always think that I don't understand your points. The problem is that I do, but they are generally off-base at best, and completely ridiculous most of the time. 

2) We aren't "bringing up something negative' in our lives. Hating the Rangers is a positive. I have a sh!t ton of fun hating the Rangers and I have for years. So have other people. That's why we engage in the joyous camaraderie of chanting about how much they suck. It has nothing to do with our lives sucking. That's a completely ignorant statement that has no basis. 

3) I will grant you, it does mean we're thinking about them when they aren't there. But that's ok, we're thinking about hating our most hated rival. That's what you're supposed to do when you're a die hard fan. That's how you have a rivalry. Granted, you've already demonstrated that you have no idea how to be a fan when you rooted against your "second favorite team" in the Finals. 

4) PLEASE, let's not get into things that make each of us losers. I guarantee every one of us has something like that going on. 

yeah hold on to that "second fav team" thing when i explained it a million times but you just refuse to understand it or at least try. See your point 1. i know you're not trying to understand that one cause then you couldnt make smartass posts about it

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well they must yeah cause thats also a very dumb thing to do lol Ok so why are Rangers Fans not chanting Devils sucks during games where they are not playing the Devils?

I've literally never heard of any other teams in sports doing that. It's seriously sad.

And stop with the whole, "you don't understand rivalry" and bla bla bla. I bet i understand it more than you do. I was part of it man. I was playing sports in a town where there was a french highschool and 2 english highschool. I was captain and top scorer of the team and i was targeted and bullied by english people from the other school because of that, some people legit hated me for that. The hatred was cultural and deeply rooted, way beyond just a regional and historical rivalry. It's basically racism but with languages. It was not just a fun "ha ha we hate the other team". The hate was real and it drove people to do crazy sh!t. It went for generations and it's still going. I've seen people getting beat up in the stands, i've seen people getting beat up (with a fvcking skateboard) for showing up at parties. I broke a dude's pelvis (accidentally) during a game and i was a fvcking hero the next day at school cause the dude was from that school. People got their cars vandalized. People got injured playing sports. Once there was a march from one school to the other for a huge brawl cause some sh!t went down and some students were fvcking armed. Cops had to get involved and all.

So seriously, stop acting like i'm some ignorant who doesn't understand rivalry as if it only exist in some bubble around the Hudson river

Yet what i've never seen is our crowd chanting BHS sucks! when we were playing another team, that's just straight up ridiculous

9 hours ago, devlman said:

Lol yet you bring up the Habs every time you lecture someone on why they’re an ignorant fan

When it's in context i sure bring it up cause its part of my personal experience. And they are the worst fanbase in the league, there's just no other fanbase with such a history of doing incredibly dumb things. I can't even tell who could be second

Edited by SterioDesign
4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And stop with the whole, "you don't understand rivalry" and bla bla bla. I bet i understand it more than you do.

Yeah ok. I stopped reading after that. I, born and raised in NJ my entire life, who went to school with Rags fans since kindergarten, worked with about 150 different Rags fans over the years, who has a cousin who grew up two towns over from me who was a die-hard Rags fan, who has attended about 754 Devils-Rags games over the last 34 years, who converted his mother- who worked at Madison Square Garden in the 60’s and 70’s, and until I came along was- you guessed it- a Rags fan- know less about the dynamic of the Devils-Rangers rivalry than you, who had never set foot in NJ in your life. Got it bro. Tell me more about it, I’m dying to know. 

DD6FC225-1301-439D-805B-C750F3ACEC26.gif

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah ok. I stopped reading after that. I, born and raised in NJ my entire life, who went to school with Rags fans since kindergarten, worked with about 150 different Rags fans over the years, who has a cousin who grew up two towns over from me who was a die-hard Rags fan, who has attended about 754 Devils-Rags games over the last 34 years, who converted his mother- who worked at Madison Square Garden in the 60’s and 70’s, and until I came along was- you guessed it- a Rags fan- know less about the dynamic of the Devils-Rangers rivalry than you, who had never set foot in NJ in your life. Got it bro. Tell me more about it, I’m dying to know. 

DD6FC225-1301-439D-805B-C750F3ACEC26.gif

I'm talking about "rivalry" in general.

If the whole chanting Rangers sucks was such a thing about such a phenomenom then the Rangers would chant Devils sucks too right? But they don't. Only our fans are.

You can't just paint that as "ohhh it's a rivalry thing, you don't understand". No. I understand rivalry. This is just dumb

I know you want to believe your rivalry is more special than any other rivalry in the world but it's not. To be fair it's one of the best in the NHL because of the proximity but still. Doesnt mean other people can't understand it, there's rivalry everywhere in the world, it's really not a complicated thing

Edited by SterioDesign

SD — with respect, because I do like you, shut the FVCK up. I’m glad you know what the word rivalry means, but you’ve made it abundantly clear that you don’t know what THIS rivalry means. 

you can’t possibly tell someone from New Jersey who’s dealt their whole life with broadway blowtards filling half of the arena during Devils rangers games; wearing their Blue Avery jerseys and flipping you off during Devils Wild games, riding NJ Transit chanting Marty Sucks after Brodeur pitched a shutouts “I know rivalry better than you do”. You don’t. 

Its a losing battle. If you haven’t been to Jersey, sat in that arena and had those fvcks scream in your ear you have NO clue what this rivalry is. And until you do, you never will. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If the whole chanting Rangers sucks was such a thing about such a phenomenom then the Rangers would chant Devils sucks too right? But they don't. Only our fans are.

You can't just paint that as "ohhh it's a rivalry thing, you don't understand". No. I understand rivalry. This is just dumb

I know you want to believe your rivalry is more special than any other rivalry in the world but it's not. To be fair it's one of the best in the NHL because of the proximity but still. Doesnt mean other people can't understand it, there's rivalry everywhere in the world, it's really not a complicated thing

I said you don’t understand the dynamic of THIS RIVALRY, THIS PARTICULAR RIVALRY, NOT RIVALRY IN GENERAL. How fvcking hard is that to grasp? And you don’t. I’m glad you know what a rivalry is, but you have no fvcking idea what you’re taking about when it comes to THIS ONE. THIS ONE. I’ll defer to you on your lacrosse rivalry or whatever the fvck you were yammering on about, I’m sure you know more about that one than I do. 

Edited by MadDog2020
9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Rangers fans chant Potvin sucks during every home game in reference to the Islander great. Duke Basketball, the most storied college basketball team in the world screams Carolina Eat Sh!t during every home game since 1982. A common greeting to those who attend Army is “Go army beat navy.” Yankees fans proudly wear FTRS shirts to Home games; that stands for Fvck The Red Sox. Kentucky basketball sells officially licensed shirts that say “I hate Christian Laettnar” because of a shot he hit against them in 1992. 

Stop talking out of your ass. You’re embarrassing yourself. 

I’ll keep going off the top of my head; WVU chants “eat sh!t pitt” as part of their fight song during every home game. UNC’s fight song includes the lyrics: Wake Is Fake, Duke Is Puke, But NCState is the Team I Hate. The most popular tee shirt you’ll find at a Red Sox game is YANKEES SUCK. But you keep holding onto that “aw you devils fans sure are childish”.

Edited by MB3
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Rangers fans chant Potvin sucks during every home game in reference to the Islander great. Duke Basketball, the most storied college basketball team in the world screams Carolina Eat Sh!t during every home game since 1982. A common greeting to those who attend Army is “Go army beat navy.” Yankees fans proudly wear FTRS shirts to Home games; that stands for Fvck The Red Sox. Kentucky basketball sells officially licensed shirts that say “I hate Christian Laettnar” because of a shot he hit against them in 1992. 

Stop talking out of your ass. You’re embarrassing yourself. 

Thanks for the lesson hun but because those things are happening is not making any of them less dumb. If you think it's cool. Well good for you. I think it's dumb to wear socks with sandals. Some people like it. It's an opinion

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Thanks for the lesson hun but because those things are happening is not making any of them less dumb. If you think it's cool. Well good for you. I think it's dumb to wear socks with sandals. Some people like it. It's an opinion

You know what, I changed my mind. 

I don’t like you.