Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CommonDreads

2019 NHL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

 I've literally never heard of any other teams in sports doing that. It's seriously sad.

 

You must not know or watch European soccer then because they’ll sing about how they hate their rivals no matter what time of day it is. But you know rivalries, so who am I to tell you...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MB3 said:

You know what, I changed my mind. 

I don’t like you. 

Oh you know how it is. It come and goes. At times i didn't like you at all either lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, devlman said:

You must not know or watch European soccer then because they’ll sing about how they hate their rivals no matter what time of day it is. But you know rivalries, so who am I to tell you...

There's a clear difference between understanding the concept of rivalry and being able to tell when something is dumb in the name of rivalry.

European soccer fans literally killed players for losing games. There's nobody worst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok keep moving the goalposts on this one...you think something a large portion of the local fan base does is dumb. You don’t happen to live in this area. Put one and one together. The reasonable conclusion is that your opinion on it is tainted from your geography. You either really don’t understand the dynamic or think very lowly of our fan base. It’s likely both in your case.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Thanks for the lesson hun but because those things are happening is not making any of them less dumb. If you think it's cool. Well good for you. I think it's dumb to wear socks with sandals. Some people like it. It's an opinion

How is disliking the Rangers any dumber than your blind hatred of the Canadiens?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

How is disliking the Rangers any dumber than your blind hatred of the Canadiens?

Well first of all i never said it was dumb to dislike the Rangers... so your comment is just wrong.

I'd also love to know where you get the "blind hatred" thing lol

(just watch... wtv you say as logical as it could be i'll just say that you don't understand it cause you don't live here and pretend that i'm winning the argument that way)

Edited by SterioDesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well first of all i never said it was dumb to dislike the Rangers... so your comment is just wrong.

I'd also love to know where you get the "blind hatred" thing lol

Is the hated not blind? Because I don't see much of a reason, unless they are the same reasons people down here have for hating the rangers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Is the hated not blind? Because I don't see much of a reason, unless they are the same reasons people down here have for hating the rangers

Well i do think there's many many similarities between the hatred a fanbase like NY and MTL can bring to rivals. Incredibly entitled fans would be #1 IMO.

Still, my point was never about if disliking a rival was justified or not. My only point was that i think it's dumb for any team from any sports to voice their hate like that when another team is in the building. Put your energy on your own team or against the team they are playing. Especially if the other team is not even doing it with you... then its even more sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well first of all i never said it was dumb to dislike the Rangers... so your comment is just wrong.

I'd also love to know where you get the "blind hatred" thing lol

(just watch... wtv you say as logical as it could be i'll just say that you don't understand it cause you don't live here and pretend that i'm winning the argument that way)

It isn’t an argument. We are telling you how something is. You are completely misunderstanding it because you live in the Maritimes. That’s the A to B.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

It isn’t an argument. We are telling you how something is. You are completely misunderstanding it because you live in the Maritimes. That’s the A to B.

Then why are the Rangers not doing it? Chanting Devils sucks when they are playing the freagin Canucks? Are the Islanders doing it too?

Edited by SterioDesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Then why are the Rangers not doing it? Chanting Devils sucks when they are playing the freagin Canucks? Are the Islanders doing it too?

Why does it matter if the rangers do it? We need their permission and formally coordinated response to voice our disliking of them? Their dynamic towards us isn’t necessarily the same as ours towards them. They make their dislike of us in other ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SterioDesign said:

Then why are the Rangers not doing it? Chanting Devils sucks when they are playing the freagin Canucks?

Because they already chant about how they think Denis Potvin sucks. Two chants is even lamer than one, so it says in the Rivalry Book of Rules™️, but if you knew anything about TRUE RIVALRIES you’d have already known that sh!t! Now, If you’d like, I can check with the local rubes down here and see if we can get a petition going to change it to ‘Messier Sucks’ instead. How would that be? Would the Rivalry Pope approve of such a move?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Because they already chant about how they think Denis Potvin sucks. Two chants is even lamer than one, so it says in the Rivalry Book of Rules™️, but if you knew anything about TRUE RIVALRIES you’d have already known that sh!t! Now, If you’d like, I can check with the local rubes down here and see if we can get a petition going to change it to ‘Messier Sucks’ instead. How would that be? Would the Rivalry Pope approve of such a move?!?!

its the offseason so it's no big deal even if we stretch very useless conversations. But i just keep repeating myself over and over answering to like 4-5 different posters.

I personally think it's dumb to chant anything about a team or a person that isn't even in the building when you are playing another team. Get a neck tattoo, paint your car, have all your walls in your house plastered with Rangers sucks. Sweet. But when you're playing another team, focus on that team or your team. I don't care if it's my team doing it, a rival team or another team from another sports from another country. I think it's all equally dumb. That's it. That's really all i have to say about this. Im not saying i want them to stop, i'm just saying i think it's dumb

So do you think that Potvin chant is cool? Since you brought it up as an example i assume you do think it's a good idea though obviously

Edited by SterioDesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

its the offseason so it's no big deal even if we stretch very useless conversations. But i just keep repeating myself over and over answering to like 4-5 different posters.

I personally think it's dumb to chant anything about a team or a person that isn't even in the building when you are playing another team. I don't care if it's my team doing it, a rival team or another team from another sports from another country. I think it's all equally dumb. That's it. That's really all i have to say about this.

So do you think that Potvin chant is cool? Since you brought it up as an example i assume you do think it's a good idea though obviously

And you’re entitled to your opinion. Live and let live. And to answer your question-  yeah by itself the Potvin chant is dumb, but it just became a tradition for Rag fans to do it- something that just happened organically that became part of the experience of attending Rag games. And that’s what makes it ‘cool’. It wasn’t intentional, it was born out of a moment of true hatred (Potvin hit some Rag in the head I think, and whiny Rag fans never got over it). I can respect that lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah hold on to that "second fav team" thing when i explained it a million times but you just refuse to understand it or at least try. See your point 1. i know you're not trying to understand that one cause then you couldnt make smartass posts about it.

Again, it’s not that I don’t understand, it’s just that your statements and “explanations” are incredibly stupid. The bottom line is, to you the Devils exist on the internet and TV and you have no clue about the dynamics of the rivalry beyond what you’ve read. The fact that you know what a rivalry is does not mean you understand what it’s actually like to be a Devils fan. 

Not saying you can’t be from elsewhere and support the team, obviously you can. But when there’s a local rivalry and you aren’t local, you’ll never fully understand it. 

There were multiple examples given of other teams chanting about certain opponents whether or not that opponent is present. You basically ignored them all because they didn’t support your position. 

It’s a part of sports and anyone who follows sports knows this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

. I’ll defer to you on your lacrosse rivalry or whatever the fvck you were yammering on about, I’m sure you know more about that one than I do. 

Ooh....a lacrosse rivalry?    Which?    Love Lax!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Ooh....a lacrosse rivalry?    Which?    Love Lax!!

You can't call yourself a lacrosse fan if you don't know that he's referring to French_Highschool_1 and their top goalscorer Stereo versus English_Highschool_1 AND English_Highschool_2.

Hand in your fan card, man.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MB3 said:

You can't call yourself a lacrosse fan if you don't know that he's referring to French_Highschool_1 and their top goalscorer Stereo versus English_Highschool_1 AND English_Highschool_2.

Hand in your fan card, man.  

You’re my second favorite NJDevs poster. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

SD, I respect that you're a big time Devils fan who doesn't live in the area, and god knows our team could use more of those types of fans (maybe Hughes/PK has helped us in that regard). I admire your passion for the team despite not having that local/personal drive that fuels a lot of our own fandom in the NY metro area. Respect.

But on that note, you're also missing a lot of that local/personal drive that fuels a lot of the rivalry in our NY metro area. Not saying it's anything like the hockey-crazy cities of Montreal or Toronto, but being a Devils fan around here opens you up to a good amount of (mostly playful) hostility, especially if you work in New York City like many of us do. It's just a feature of being a hockey fan around here, it'll always be within the prism of the NY/NJ rivalry. Older generations of hockey fans were Rangers fans because the Devils didn't exist yet, slightly younger generations of hockey fans are Rangers fans because their dads were, and the wheels of the rivalry never stop churning because of that; especially with Kakko/Hughes added to the mix.

There's really no escaping the Devils-Rangers dynamic, our state is so small that you can't escape it. Some of our parents are Rangers fans, our favorite bars may have Rangers paraphernalia, our coworkers greet us at our desks the day after a signing like Panarin, etc., that type of sh!t. Then sprinkle on top of that every non-hockey fan in the metro area that "roots for New York" and wants to joke around with you for being for New Jersey, because our state is the butt of all kinds of jokes. As you can imagine, it gets annoying, and we go into each season with a chip on our shoulder.

Naturally, the fans keep the wheels turning, and I can see how it's seen as really dumb from someone who doesn't live here; I get it. But if you lived here, you'd better understand it, I think that goes without saying.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i do think there's many many similarities between the hatred a fanbase like NY and MTL can bring to rivals. Incredibly entitled fans would be #1 IMO.

Still, my point was never about if disliking a rival was justified or not. My only point was that i think it's dumb for any team from any sports to voice their hate like that when another team is in the building. Put your energy on your own team or against the team they are playing. Especially if the other team is not even doing it with you... then its even more sad

You sure have a lot of rules about how other people should be fans. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Ooh....a lacrosse rivalry?    Which?    Love Lax!!

I have no idea, go back and read SD’s post lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re my second favorite NJDevs poster. 

Is your first favorite yourself, or Mike Peluso? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Then why are the Rangers not doing it? Chanting Devils sucks when they are playing the freagin Canucks? Are the Islanders doing it too?

The Rags fans still do the Potvin Sucks chant every game.  The Isles fans do a Rangers sucks chant every game.  It's not like we are the only ones doing it.  It has become a tradition, for better for worse.  If it gets the fans engaged and making some noise, I'm ok with it.

The annoying part with the Rangers suck chant that we do is (a) that it is done 10x per period, and (b) the part about how the Flyers swallow, Crosby watches, Avery gives a reach around, Kane's a rapist, etc., etc.  I mean, all of that may be true, but its a little classless to broadcast it to the world like that 41 nights a year.  Just my 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Is your first favorite yourself, or Mike Peluso? 

The obvious answer: Mike Brown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

The annoying part with the Rangers suck chant that we do is (a) that it is done 10x per period, and (b) the part about how the Flyers swallow, Crosby watches, Avery gives a reach around, Kane's a rapist, etc., etc.  I mean, all of that may be true, but its a little classless to broadcast it to the world like that 41 nights a year.  Just my 2 cents.

That I agree with. A quick "Rangers Suck" is all that's needed. I'm not sure how much longer I can prevent my 12 year old daughter from hearing that. She definitely heard one "Kane's a Rapist" last season and she was shocked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.