GDT: Lightning @ Devils 7PM

Nicomo

6 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The Devils weren't that bad defensively tonight.  Some better placed sticks perhaps - goal #1 appeared to go off Vatanen's stick and in, if it didn't, it was a bad goal for Kinkaid to let in.  Goal #2, Coleman looked to have just touched the puck on the pass - had he gotten even a little more of it, it goes awry likely - goal #3 hit someone in front and went in, goal #4 is the one that started with Hall turning the puck over, and goal #5, Zacha almost disrupted but didn't.  Almost almost almost - on defense.

The Devils were MIA on offense, though.  That's the thing - I don't think they played that poorly defensively, Keith's gotta make some stops, but they played so badly on offense that they didn't really have a chance to be out of position defensively.  Yakovlev got the big chance and scored, but it's hard for me to remember any real grade A chances beyond that one.  Obviously Hall was atrocious tonight - turnovers, forcing plays - it's on nights like tonight where you see why Edmonton might've given up on him, even though it was a terrible decision to do so.

The goalies have to figure this out.  Otherwise Shero's got to bring in another goalie here.  It's not fair to Hynes that he would be let go with these performances in net.  He can't coach the goalies to stop the puck.

yes on all accounts. I spent the past few down years being a Cory apologist (still think that was fair given that he was the only reason to watch this sh!tty team for like three years) but he's done and Kinkaid with each passing game is reminding me why I posted on here that I "never want to see Kinkaid play another game in a Devils jersey" before he went on that insane run to help us squeak into the playoffs.

I had to work tonight, so I put my tickets up. Front row on the balcony, great seats. Put them up for $15 a seat. Didn't sell. Yet it still felt better to be at work then to be stuck there watching that dumpster fire live. My buddy and I decided we weren't going to renew over the summer due to upcoming monetary commitments in life that need attention elsewhere... decision is getting easier by the game. I love going to the Rock and all the people in my section immediately by my seats but this season has been horrendous.

I'd also love to know when Miles Wood is going to be fvcking scratched for a night. Smashes into the boards at 90 MPH before their first pathetic goal that practically any goaltender in the league would've stopped completely taking himself out of the play. Takes the obligatory Miles Wood penalty that he takes every single fvcking game. Creates seemingly zero offense anymore -- when's the last time he even got sprung for a breakaway? When's the last time he even beat out an icing? Tired of watching him play like sh!t and never be held accountable. Obviously, a lot of guys fit that description but man... tough season for him.

• Like 1

With MOJO showing at least some flashes here and there lately I’d say Wood has been the biggest disappointment on the season so far. 2-4-6 in 26 GP. After a pretty decent payday too. Bratt has more points in less than half the games. I’m also wondering what happened to Butcher? Sophomore slump? It’s hard to believe the PP can be as bad as it has. 

“That’s how you create accountability and culture,” Devils captain Andy Greene said. “Obviously (Hall’s) going to bounce back. He’s going to be fine next game. It’s important and doesn’t matter who it is, honestly. That’s the part where we need to hold each other accountable and make sure we’re ready and making sure we’re making the right plays.”

How the hell did he say this with a straight face??

• Haha 4

I had a post typed out before last night's game that said " if we can concede less than 5 goals I will be happy" , bastards couldn't even do that! 

Anyway , we have been awful since the marketing department introduced that sh!tty "Now we rise" slogan. I think it's time for a change maybe " New Jersey Devils Vs Themselves" ? Or bad goaltending? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I watched nearly the entire second period and the first 15 minutes of the third in fast forward. It wasn’t any less painful to watch that way. 

I watched it all the way through, because I wanted to know what would be worse: Watching the Devils play or getting mauled by the ENT doctor this afternoon. The game will be hard to beat, that's for sure.  

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

“That’s how you create accountability and culture,” Devils captain Andy Greene said. “Obviously (Hall’s) going to bounce back. He’s going to be fine next game. It’s important and doesn’t matter who it is, honestly. That’s the part where we need to hold each other accountable and make sure we’re ready and making sure we’re making the right plays.”

Just like how he said “to win a championship you have to ....” during the preseason. I actually get pissed off hearing his name and reading his stupid quotes because of the sheer hypocracy alone that he spews, never mind his lackluster performance that makes beer league players look like all stars. Such a dogsh!t captain recently who’s career is over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Andy, on some levels, I have a lot of respect for you.  You went undrafted, yet you've managed to play over 800 NHL games...and for a while, you willed yourself into being a solid, durable, mostly dependable defenseman...and you were a good soldier during many lean years. 

But I'm sorry, you sound damned near as delusional as Marty did towards the end of his career...it's not entirely your fault, as it's obvious that for some reason, the accountability stick that Hynes selectively wields never seems to make contact with YOU, so maybe you think somehow that you're not part of the problem.

But please, for the love of God, for all of us, for those of us who want to hang onto some good memories of you as we're forced to watch Hynes keep throwing you back out there as though you somehow don't royally suck massive balls:

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

I'd have more respect for Andy if he just added INCLUDING MYSELF into that quote. 

That's probably what he meant (he did say "we"), but I just don't want to hear from him right now. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's probably what he meant (he did say "we"), but I just don't want to hear from him right now. 

I still would have liked to hear him include himself and not just by saying we, at least it would show that he's not above any criticism or accountability because it sure feels like he is. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

FWIW Harris was at this game last night.... I can’t imagine he was too pleased by what he saw.

I was very close to going...was going to do the usual, get the buffet seats, go with my daughter...but I needed a break from the Devils, so I took her to see the Grinch movie instead. 

I was checking the score on my phone before the previews...when I saw that Tampa had a PP towards the end of the first period and were leading 1-0, I said to her "Watch the Lightning score on this and take a 2-0 lead"...about a second later, the score updated to read 2-0.  Right then I knew it was going to be "Here we go again...Tampa's bitches being taken down yet another peg..."

Can't believe how ugly it's gotten, but when the guy who's paid to be a #1 is in reclamation mode, and the other guy is being asked to do too much as a result, that's what's going to happen.  Devils are getting well-below average goaltending, and with so many other issues, they're going to simply be noncompetitive some nights.  Sucks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I still would have liked to hear him include himself and not just by saying we, at least it would show that he's not above any criticism or accountability because it sure feels like he is. 

These guys aren't always wordsmiths and don't always express themselves accurately...don't read too much into what they say.  I'm sure if asked, he'd say something like "When I said WE, I meant all of us, everyone on the team, me included."   

That being said, Andy's comments clearly rubbed me the wrong way, heh heh...but mostly because I don't think he's one to talk about much of anything right now (captain or not).  And you wonder just a little if some players who've either been benched or scratched are thinking "Is it ever THAT guy's turn?!"  Maybe only a little at that, but if the losses keep piling up, and Greene's clearly continuing to look bad on too many plays... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s 9:45 and Shero hasn’t emerged. Emerge motherfvcker.

I think Tri nailed it in his post, re:  the goaltending...either Shero does something real soon to address it, or he lets them sink the Devils.  You can't bet on them to put together similar runs to their best work last season (I outlined those runs in another post). 

The fact that Blackwood isn't getting a look (despite the Devils clearly having a goalie crisis now) leads me to believe that Shero and others don't think that he's ready yet.  I still think they should bring him up...he literally cannot be worse than what the Devils have gotten lately...if they have to send him back down, so be it, but enough with status quo in net already.  The Devils now have a team save% of .897.  This is almost 2013 Marty-Hedberg bad. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s 9:45 and Shero hasn’t emerged. Emerge motherfvcker.

One of the few things you and I disagree on. I don't think fans are owed anything as far as explanations or insight on what is going on behind closed doors. If he did say something, what would he say that we don't already know? The team sucks, not something we planned on(got it). We want to be better(understood). We're going to try and get better(sounds reasonable). 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

One of the few things you and I disagree on. I don't think fans are owed anything as far as explanations or insight on what is going on behind closed doors. If he did say something, what would he say that we don't already know? The team sucks, not something we planned on(got it). We want to be better(understood). We're going to try and get better(sounds reasonable). 

Fans pay to watch this sh!t. So the fans are owed quite a fvcking bit. I’m tired of hearing we aren’t owed an explanation. Yes, we are. Our money supports this garbage.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fans pay to watch this sh!t. So the fans are owed quite a fvcking bit. I’m tired of hearing we aren’t owed an explanation. Yes, we are. Our money supports this garbage.

But that's your choice. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. That doesn't mean you're entitled to anything so far as an explanation goes. 

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

But that's your choice. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. That doesn't mean you're entitled to anything so far as an explanation goes. 

If everyone had that attitude, the team wouldn’t exist. I’m entitled to know why the GM thinks everything is fine. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If everyone had that attitude, the team wouldn’t exist. I’m entitled to know why the GM thinks everything is fine. 

He came out after the Devils lost 10 games in 2016-17 and told the team to play fvcking harder.  Like, there's not a whole lot else to be done.  If there's a waiver move for a goalie, maybe try it.