GDT: Lightning @ Devils 7PM

Nicomo

And if Shero doesn’t wanna pull the trigger on the coach or shake the team up with a trade or give us a state of the union- fine. Get your ass down to that room and make it clear to these guys that going forward, this isn’t acceptable, and there WILL be changes real soon if this bullsh!t continues. Like I said last night, throw a fvcking jelly jar.

5 minutes ago, Triumph said:

He came out after the Devils lost 10 games in 2016-17 and told the team to play fvcking harder.  Like, there's not a whole lot else to be done.  If there's a waiver move for a goalie, maybe try it.

See my latest post above.

Edited by MadDog2020

You don't get better by trading one player.  Moreover, you don't get a good deal when you're trading players on an underachieving team.  That jelly jar gets brought up all the time, but what doesn't get brought up is that the Devils lost that series in 5 games.  Yelling and screaming isn't going to get these players out of this - I'm sure they're doing a lot of it. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

But that's your choice. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. That doesn't mean you're entitled to anything so far as an explanation goes. 

And there's the magic word that got thrown around so frequently over the summer - "entitled".

We're "entitled" because we want Shero to address the state of the team.

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

You don't get better by trading one player.  Moreover, you don't get a good deal when you're trading players on an underachieving team.  That jelly jar gets brought up all the time, but what doesn't get brought up is that the Devils lost that series in 5 games.  Yelling and screaming isn't going to get these players out of this - I'm sure they're doing a lot of it. 

The trade is one for one...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And there's the magic word that got thrown around so frequently over the summer - "entitled".

We're "entitled" because we want Shero to address the state of the team.

You're not owed an explanation. That's the point. "I'm a fan, I pay for this, blah blah blah". Sounds entitled.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If everyone had that attitude, the team wouldn’t exist. I’m entitled to know why the GM thinks everything is fine. 

In fairness, you being pissed about the state of the Devils (everyone who watches this team is) doesn't mean that nothing is going on behind the scenes, or that Shero thinks there's no problems and all is well.  I think Shero is a bright guy (I don't think he forgot how to be a GM overnight), and I'm sure he's just as disturbed by what he's seeing as we are.

You're also VERY familiar with GM speak (as you watch as many sports as I do), so it's not like if he did do some kind of State of the Devils address, that he would tell you a whole lot anyway.  You could probably figure out about 80-90% of what Shero would say before he even said it.   

I believe in him enough that I'm not going to get on him for not addressing the fanbase at this time...it's also fair to keep in mind that fans in general tend to want to see change on a different timetable than GMs.  It's still pretty early in the season, though I'll go ahead and guess that whatever patience Shero was willing to have is starting to wear thin; that being said, there probably isn't a ton that can be done right at the moment.  I agree with Tri, if you're not going to take a shot with Blackwood, then at least see if you can pick up a goalie on the waiver wire, or try one that won't cost you much in assets...with the current netminding situation, what do the Devils really have to lose?  Like I said a while ago, no Lack please. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Tri nailed it in his post, re:  the goaltending...either Shero does something real soon to address it, or he lets them sink the Devils.  You can't bet on them to put together similar runs to their best work last season (I outlined those runs in another post). 

The fact that Blackwood isn't getting a look (despite the Devils clearly having a goalie crisis now) leads me to believe that Shero and others don't think that he's ready yet.  I still think they should bring him up...he literally cannot be worse than what the Devils have gotten lately...if they have to send him back down, so be it, but enough with status quo in net already.  The Devils now have a team save% of .897.  This is almost 2013 Marty-Hedberg bad. 

The reason I wouldn't bring up Blackwood yet is because he's finally stringing some good games together. I wouldn't want to shatter the new confidence by throwing him in there with these yahoos. 

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The reason I wouldn't bring up Blackwood yet is because he's finally stringing some good games together. I wouldn't want to shatter the new confidence by throwing him in there with these yahoos. 

I think it'd be one of those deals where you'd know pretty quickly (within 4 games, possibly less) if he can handle NHL games.  I'm not saying bringing Blackwood up is ideal, but this is a crisis, a real "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS" situation, unfortunately.  Cory is basically a nonentity right now, and the other guy is really starting to get exposed by playing too much...nothing against KK at all, but I hate when guys are put in situations that are unfair and won't get the best out of them. 

I don't want to see Lack, and what else is really out there?  What would Shero have to give up to bring someone else in?  It's a lousy situation for sure. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think it'd be one of those deals where you'd know pretty quickly (within 4 games, possibly less) if he can handle NHL games.  I'm not saying bringing Blackwood up is ideal, but this is a crisis, a real "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS" situation, unfortunately.  Cory is basically a nonentity right now, and the other guy is really starting to get exposed by playing too much...nothing against KK at all, but I hate when guys are put in situations that are unfair and won't get the best out of them. 

I don't want to see Lack, and what else is really out there?  What would Shero have to give up to bring someone else in?  It's a lousy situation for sure. 

Yeah it is. My guess is he tries to unload Cory by taking back a bad contract and a marginal starter as a bandaid and then look at things in the offseason. 

Another piece of the puzzle will be Kinkaid. He's a fine back up but if he's going to want starter money this offseason, you are right in that we need to see something out of Blackwood 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

You're not owed an explanation. That's the point. "I'm a fan, I pay for this, blah blah blah". Sounds entitled.

This team has lost 17 of the last 22 games.  The majority of those losses were by embarrassing margins.  I don't think it's outrageous at all to expect a GM to come out and address the state of affairs, especially when the team has taken a complete nosedive.  I mean, isn't part of his job description interacting with the media?  Maybe when 10k fans show up to the Rock in February Shero will feel compelled to step out and say something.

If the media gave a sh!t about the Devils, you'd see people calling for Shero's head daily - he's lucky that he can slide by as the Devils GM without being held accountable by the media if you ask me.

29 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

This team has lost 17 of the last 22 games.  The majority of those losses were by embarrassing margins.  I don't think it's outrageous at all to expect a GM to come out and address the state of affairs, especially when the team has taken a complete nosedive.  I mean, isn't part of his job description interacting with the media?  Maybe when 10k fans show up to the Rock in February Shero will feel compelled to step out and say something.

If the media gave a sh!t about the Devils, you'd see people calling for Shero's head daily - he's lucky that he can slide by as the Devils GM without being held accountable by the media if you ask me.

I disagree. Especially when he can't say anything we don't already know. 

34 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

C'mon, so after less than half a season after the Devils made the playoffs due to a number of Shero acquisitions, they'd be calling for Shero's head?  No they wouldn't. 

Unless you think Shero's a complete dope, do you really think he's not aware of the situation?  What do you think he's going to say that will make you feel better?  He went into the season with a plan, and so far it hasn't worked out.  The Flyers chose to spend big on JVR...how's that working out for them so far?  LA spend a nice coin on Kovy...ditto.  SJ made a big deal for Karlsson...he's not exactly lighting it up for them.  Point being that because you don't like the particular path Shero chose this time, it doesn't necessarily mean another one would've paid off immediately either. 

• Like 3

As long as Shero can build through the draft and do it well, that'll be enough for me....coupled with avoiding stupid contracts on mediocre players.  We spent the last 15 years drafting complete garbage and laying out NTC contracts like they were candy on bad players. Enough of that stupidity. I'm going with the mindset that Ray knows what he needs to do. It ain't gonna happen overnight unfortunately. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

As long as Shero can build through the draft and do it well, that'll be enough for me....coupled with avoiding stupid contracts on mediocre players.  We spent the last 15 years drafting complete garbage and laying out NTC contracts like they were candy on bad players. Enough of that stupidity. I'm going with the mindset that Ray knows what he needs to do. It ain't gonna happen overnight unfortunately. 

Well when you say it like that, it sounds like a no-brainer...

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

“That’s how you create accountability and culture,” Devils captain Andy Greene said. “Obviously (Hall’s) going to bounce back. He’s going to be fine next game. It’s important and doesn’t matter who it is, honestly. That’s the part where we need to hold each other accountable and make sure we’re ready and making sure we’re making the right plays.”

How the hell did he say this with a straight face??

Is he kidding?  Sadly, he seemed to be deadly serious.  Therein lies the real problem; no one can see there's a real crisis, everywhere you look!😦

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Well when you say it like that, it sounds like a no-brainer...

It shouldn't have take a rocket scientist to figure out Clowe was too risky for his $24M 5 year contract. Just one of many gaffes by the previous front-office.

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1

I didn't watch the game but just saw a video on facebook of Jakovlev's first goal.

What's great about it is when they all went for a hug, they all stayed there for quiiite awhile. It shows me that they are still a close group and "together". If they turned on the coach and that he needs to go or wtv... so be it. But as long as the guys are staying close, away from drama and putting blames on other guys etc etc... there's hope. 

• Like 4

Nice execution on the play from the boys though, strong faceoff win, good positionning... terrible play by Domingue though lol went down early doing his lateral movement and kind of leaned back with his leg up...? Yak shot straight in the middle of the net where the goalie's chest "should have been" say he would have been in the right position lol but anyway. It went it so we'll take it, congrats kid

Edited by SterioDesign