GDT: Devils at Los Angeles 12/6 - 10:30pm MSG+

Satans Hockey

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I passed out when the game was tied through the second period. Loved waking up to the score update this morning.

While obviously the kings are really, really bad, it's still nice to see our guys bury six.

I went to sleep when it was 2-1, pleasantly surprised to see the same thing as you - 6 goals is nice, no matter who it's against.  No excuses come Sunday - the boys have two days off, a chance to relax and have a nice weekend in Cali.  Be ready and come out playing Sunday night against a Ducks team that has been playing well.  

• Like 2

A win against a bad team is always better than a loss against a bad team...I'll happily take it.  Maybe the guys finally lose that "Here we go again feeling" they've probably had lately.  Goaltending situation remains quite unsettling though.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A win against a bad team is always better than a loss against a bad team...I'll happily take it.  Maybe the guys finally lose that "Here we go again feeling" they've probably had lately.  Goaltending situation remains quite unsettling though.

It does. And on one of them Kinkaid was absolutely his worst enemy. He should've gotten the primary assist on the goal that he practically passed to a Kings player. The first goal LA scored to make it 1-1 was awful too. But to his credit he made a few big saves in tight and on partial breaks. He did enough to win and never let the Kings go ahead

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

It does. And on one of them Kinkaid was absolutely his worst enemy. He should've gotten the primary assist on the goal that he practically passed to a Kings player. The first goal LA scored to make it 1-1 was awful too. But to his credit he made a few big saves in tight and on partial breaks. He did enough to win and never let the Kings go ahead

Agreed.  First goal I thought was stoppable, but Greene played that awfully too.  The second goal was a pretty sick passing setup by the Kings and essentially a 2 on 1 with the way it developed, so not his fault there.  The third one was terrible, just gave it way basically, and it's funny because Quick actually did the same thing after I think our 2nd goal, and you could see he was upset about it.

Great win. Unfortunately, we scored all of our goals for the next 8 games all in one night. 

I turned the game on at 2-1 and they tied it literally 30 seconds later. I hung around for a little while, but I knew there was no chance I was going to make it. Glad we managed not to lose. 

48 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Butcher goal should have never been a goal though. What a dumb move by Phaneuf who should know better than trying to hit a puck with his stick in front of his goalie. You should never see a veteran do that

Now mark my words... Greene will do it in the next few games...

I hate Phaneuf and am happy whenever that piece of sh!t plays like a turd. He is a giant turd. I hope he keeps playing just well enough to stay on the nice, but awful enough to continue to trash his career. 

• Like 1

I'm happy we got the win, because at the end of the day I am a fan of this team, but honestly this team is playing terribly and the only reason they won is that the Kings played worse. Kinkaid may have allowed 1 goal that was his fault, but he made lots of really tough saves throughout the game and got lucky on so many others (crossbar, post combo comes to mind among others). If this team can't start tightening up the defensive zone play then Hughes or whoever else they might draft with their lotto pick isn't going to do much to help. Honestly, as much as goaltending is an issue, the quality of chances against is an even bigger issue and that's on the coaches.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

I'm happy we got the win, because at the end of the day I am a fan of this team, but honestly this team is playing terribly and the only reason they won is that the Kings played worse. Kinkaid may have allowed 1 goal that was his fault, but he made lots of really tough saves throughout the game and got lucky on so many others (crossbar, post combo comes to mind among others). If this team can't start tightening up the defensive zone play then Hughes or whoever else they might draft with their lotto pick isn't going to do much to help. Honestly, as much as goaltending is an issue, the quality of chances against is an even bigger issue and that's on the coaches.

The Devils played fine in the defensive zone.  Butcher blew the 2 on 1 chance against and that ended up in the net.  But their zone coverage was really good.  What has to improve are some of the decisions in the neutral zone and the turnovers that leads to - there's too many 2 on 1 chances that come off of those.  

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

The Devils played fine in the defensive zone.  Butcher blew the 2 on 1 chance against and that ended up in the net.  But their zone coverage was really good.  What has to improve are some of the decisions in the neutral zone and the turnovers that leads to - there's too many 2 on 1 chances that come off of those.  

Vats I remember got caught pinching, and there was others.

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

I agree(d) primarily with what NewarkDevil said, but that's exactly what I was going to say as well.  I see a lot of turnovers in the neutral zone, or even in the offensive zone, and we are not hard enough on the other team's breakouts.  There's lots of different wants to play, and I'm not suggesting a full on trap style because that's not suited to the other parts and styles of the game that our current team plays (and plays well), but we definitely need to be more stifling between the two blue lines.  Find a way to clog it up a bit more.

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

While I absolutely agree with you with regard to the neutral zone decisions, I think the quality of chances LA was getting was far too high especially given the fact that LA wasn't playing at all well either. Also, it doesn't all boil down to coverage. A lot of it is decision making in the defensive zone as well. A lot of times they aren't waiting until the neutral zone before making their stupid decisions.

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Butcher goal should have never been a goal though. What a dumb move by Phaneuf who should know better than trying to hit a puck with his stick in front of his goalie. You should never see a veteran do that

Now mark my words... Greene will do it in the next few games...

That was perhaps the worst "own goal" deflection I have ever seen. What a joke. 

23 minutes ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

While I absolutely agree with you with regard to the neutral zone decisions, I think the quality of chances LA was getting was far too high especially given the fact that LA wasn't playing at all well either. Also, it doesn't all boil down to coverage. A lot of it is decision making in the defensive zone as well. A lot of times they aren't waiting until the neutral zone before making their stupid decisions.

I don't think LA got that many high quality chances, and I don't think the Devils made poor decisions in their D zone very often.  One was Nico's decision to poke a faceoff back to the point, basically winning a faceoff for LA in a dangerous position.  Other than that, can't remember a ton of things leading to big scoring chances for LA vis a vis the D-zone alone - much more of what went wrong involved neutral zone play.

6 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I hate Phaneuf and am happy whenever that piece of sh!t plays like a turd. He is a giant turd. I hope he keeps playing just well enough to stay on the nice, but awful enough to continue to trash his career. 

Didn’t he have a feud with Sean Avery? Gives him a few points in my book.