The Devils defense has been really good this year.

Mike Brown

All of the Devils defense ranks in the top 75 out of 190 defensemen in xGF% among defensemen who have played at least 200 minutes.

• Ben Lovejoy: 75th
  • Sami Vatanen: 64th
  • Mirco Mueller: 51st
  • Damon Severson: 35th
  • Andy Greene: 30th
  • Will Butcher: 24th

I also want to point out, the Devils have been much better than what their record would indicate.

• xGF%: 7th
  • HDCF%: 3rd

This is my problem with advanced stats when used as the sole way to validate performance. Can look real good on paper based on metrics but the eye test tells a different story. 

To insinuate Greene is the 30th best defender in the league makes this even more laughable.

I could give you all the science to prove a food is the healthiest thing in the world, but if it’s covered in dirt, feces and filled with bugs, you will never eat it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

This is my problem with advanced stats when used as the sole way to validate performance. Can look real good on paper based on metrics but the eye test tells a different story. 

To insinuate Greene is the 30th best defender in the league makes this even more laughable.

I could give you all the science to prove a food is the healthiest thing in the world, but if it’s covered in dirt, feces and filled with bugs, you will never eat it.

I've been watching the defense, and they have performed admirably based on my eye test.  The problem isn't the defense.  It's the coaching system.  The d-zone system is a joke.  The forwards barely ever engage along the boards, and the d-men are forced to fend for themselves along the boards.  They're being asked to pin guys along the boards and get the puck at the same time.

2 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

I've been watching the defense, and they have performed admirably based on my eye test.  The problem isn't the defense.  It's the coaching system.  The d-zone system is a joke.  The forwards barely ever engage along the boards, and the d-men are forced to fend for themselves along the boards.  They're being asked to pin guys along the boards and get the puck at the same time.

I’ll give you that some arent playing poorly, and the system is an absolute joke (zero argument there) but Greene alone’s  advanced stats are far from his actual performance on the ice. Lovejoy is a constant speed bump for my rage bus, but yes he’s done well on the PK, meanwhile Grandpa Greene has been no better than the maggot filled spoiled rotten food I mentioned in my response.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

I’ll give you that some arent playing poorly, and the system is an absolute joke (zero argument there) but Greene alone’s  advanced stats are far from his actual performance on the ice. Lovejoy is a constant speed bump for my rage bus, but yes he’s done well on the PK, meanwhile Grandpa Greene has been no better than the maggot filled spoiled rotten food I mentioned in my response.

I personally think Greene has played very well, and Lovejoy has been solid as well.  Both are very solid and steady in their own zone, and don't do anything stupid.  They never look spectacular which is part of the problem imo.  I do agree they have limitations, but they're the kind of players who simply "get the job done".  You never will be wow'd by them as they're just not those kind of players.  Greene is basically a bottom four defensemen being thrust into a top pairing role, and is actually doing quite well.

Yakovlev has been quite impressive imo, but he's been quite sheltered.
Vatanen is basically  playing like we expect out of him.
Mueller has looked good too, but he reminds me a lot like Merrill in the sense he plays conservative and doesn't really show off his skill. 
Severson imo has been our best d-man and has really emerged as a legit top pairing guy.
Finally, Butcher may not be putting up the points like he did last year, but I consider that partially due to bad luck.  One thing he has done is he's really developed other aspects of his game better.

Edited by Mike Brown
  • Like 1

Not sure why we're not in first place after seeing all this.

MB no knock on you personally in any way, just surprised I had Greene pegged as a pylon at best. Usually a step behind from what I thought I see more often than not.

Are the goalie #'s just as good?

24 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

I personally think Greene has played very well, and Lovejoy has been solid as well.  Both are very solid and steady in their own zone, and don't do anything stupid.  They never look spectacular which is part of the problem imo.  I do agree they have limitations, but they're the kind of players who simply "get the job done".  You never will be wow'd by them as they're just not those kind of players.  Greene is basically a bottom four defensemen being thrust into a top pairing role, and is actually doing quite well.

Yakovlev has been quite impressive imo, but he's been quite sheltered.
Vatanen is basically  playing like we expect out of him.
Mueller has looked good too, but he reminds me a lot like Merrill in the sense he plays conservative and doesn't really show off his skill. 
Severson imo has been our best d-man and has really emerged as a legit top pairing guy.
Finally, Butcher may not be putting up the points like he did last year, but I consider that partially due to bad luck.  One thing he has done is he's really developed other aspects of his game better.

Found John Hynes’ burner account, folks

• Haha 1

Idc what the stats show which mean nothing, the defense as a whole has been horrible.  Most of the goals against this year have been a result of piss poor defense not covering their guys.

Brodeur or hasek couldn't have helped this team during the losing streak, both wouldve been screwed the same as cory and kk have been..

• Like 2