The Devils defense has been really good this year.

Mike Brown

Just now, Mike Brown said:

Dude, this goes to show the absolute flaw with the eye test.  Both Greene and Lovejoy are both very effective d-men.

No, it goes to show the flaw with advanced stats. 

No they aren’t. Greene is absolutely awful. He has single-handedly cost the team about half a dozen games this year. And it’s only December. 

Lovejoy is slightly less terrible, but he also plays way less minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't believe our D is good even if there are some advanced stats suggesting it... and i also don't believe Jesus existed... even if... well actually there's zero proof of that...

all i know is that it takes a lot of blind faith and brainwashing to believe in those things. 

But I won't judge.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't believe our D is good even if there are some advanced stats suggesting it... and i also don't believe Jesus existed... even if... well actually there's zero proof of that...

all i know is that it takes a lot of blind faith and brainwashing to believe in those things. 

But I won't judge.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Dude, this goes to show the absolute flaw with the eye test.  Both Greene and Lovejoy are both very effective d-men.

In what way, exactly?  

I'm very curious.  Normally I take your posts with a grain of salt, and because I think everyone has a right to be here and say what they want, I usually read them and move on, but now you're actually pissing me off.  This laissez faire attitude is disrespectful to the rest of us who actually watch and see how both of those guys are liabilities to this team.  

Since you live and die by advanced stats and take nothing else into account, can you share Greene's stats in overtime?  Because he surely has been on the ice for about a handful of our losses in OT this year, which has cost us about 5-10 points - that DIRECTLY translates to the standings and is a reason why we're in the bottom half of the Eastern Conference.

16 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

nce you live and die by advanced stats and take nothing else into account, can you share Greene's stats in overtime?  Because he surely has been on the ice for about a handful of our losses in OT this year, which has cost us about 5-10 points - that DIRECTLY translates to the standings and is a reason why we're in the bottom half of the Eastern Conference.

We have only made it past regulation 6 times this year and are 0-5 in OT and 0-1 in shootouts now. Greene was on for a few but wasn't on the ice for ot at all last night and off the top of my head wasn't on the ice for the Winnipeg ot game when they scored so at max we left 4 points on the table with ot. 

Andy Greene still absolutely sucks though. 

14 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

We have only made it past regulation 6 times this year and are 0-5 in OT and 0-1 in shootouts now. Greene was on for a few but wasn't on the ice for ot at all last night and off the top of my head wasn't on the ice for the Winnipeg ot game when they scored so at max we left 4 points on the table with ot. 

Andy Greene still absolutely sucks though. 

Greene has been the reason some of the games require OT in the first place though. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Your eyes are just deceiving you.  Neither Greene nor Lovejoy are in anyway hindrances to this team.

If you really believe that about Greene, you’re only looking at advanced stats to support your case.

Hell you even admitted he’s a bottom pair at best who is being forced into top minutes. If that is actually the case, then he isn’t performing to a level of a top pairing defender, and thus, is hindering the top pair.

he is out of position, a lot, he’s caught flat footed, a lot, and he’s letting his partner pick up his slack, year again, a lot.

• Like 2

Go ask Billy Beane how great advanced stats are for winning championships, or the Toronto Maple Leafs if you want a hockey team. 

They might have value in deciding between two players who are very similar, but you cannot base your entire argument off of arbitrary numbers. And to flat out say the eye test is flawed but advanced stats are flawless is preposterous. 

But hey, let’s go get that xGF% Selke and the Corsi Cup. We get banners for those and not actual performance, right?

i mean... im always trying to be fair and not biased. So offered that "new info" i actually challenged my belief thinking... "well... if Hynes keep on playing him... and that some advanced stats are saying that he's playing well.... is it possible that he is and that because he's been the scapegoat on the board that i just accept that, look at the game through a biased lens, see what I want to see and believe it all cause we're in an echo chamber just bashing him so confirmation bias could be clouding our judgement". So I did challenge that...

But no, i can think of WAY too many instances where he was insanely out of position, caught flat-footed, not covering a guy, not going for the right guy... now batting a puck in his own net etc etc

There's no way. 

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't understand how we aren't in first place. Or, are we in first place and the standings just don't tell the full story?

And maybe, just maybe, having the highest OU812UB4090210% is actually preferable to winning a Stanley Cup. 

46 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Everyone is overlooking the skill factor in AG's goal. He had to bat the damn thing out of mid air!

I know what he was trying to do, he was trying to pop it over the top of the net. 

I just can't figure out why a professional hockey player would ever consider that a viable option. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And maybe, just maybe, having the highest OU812UB4090210% is actually preferable to winning a Stanley Cup. 

I know what he was trying to do, he was trying to pop it over the top of the net. 

I just can't figure out why a professional hockey player would ever consider that a viable option. 

What does Van Halen covering Elvis and Neil Diamond songs in Beverly Hills have to do with winning a cup?

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Greene has been the reason some of the games require OT in the first place though. 

Yeah, exactly - thank you. That's essentially what I was getting at.  I was taking at stab when I threw some numbers out there in terms of the games we've played in OT and points left on the table.  Also didn't take into account the games that could've gone to OT but were squandered in the final 10 minutes, of which Greene was a part of many of those as well.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yea I think everyone knows what he was TRYING to do... 90%of the time you hit a puck with your stick in mid air it never goes where you think it will lol. That was a hero or zero play and AG came out a ZERO with the caps lock on.