The Devils defense has been really good this year.

Mike Brown

I'm not really sure why you're basing your entire evaluation off of basically just one stat? Based off that logic, Xavier Ouellet, Braydon Coburn, and Dan Girardi should be in the Norris conversation based off xGF% alone. Advanced stats are not the be-all-end-all of player evaluation, they're really just a tool and stats can produce some anomalies that you need to write off as just that - anomalies. Greene's xGF% is so high because his expected Goals For rate is so high (in the 96th percentile), which I can't really explain but I would assume it's from players like Hall pumping up his HDCF share when they're on the ice together, while his expected Goals Against is far less generous in the 35th percentile.

If you're looking for a catch all stat (which I don't believe there is a proper one), a lot of people have gravitated towards Game Score, where Andy Greene ranks 149th out of 192 defensemen with a minimum of 200 minutes played.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea I think everyone knows what he was TRYING to do... 90%of the time you hit a puck with your stick in mid air it never goes where you think it will lol. That was a hero or zero play and AG came out a ZERO with the caps lock on.

To me, his idiotic decision to bat the puck out of mid air towards an open goal wasn't even his most egregious error on a goal. That honor goes to Anaheim's third goal, in which Greene takes a dumb slashing penalty, and with the delayed call in effect, follows the opposing player to the POINT! Completely leaving Severson outnumbered down low.

I get that skills deteriorate but a veteran should have a better IQ on the ice. He also loses nearly every one on one battle. Every time he's out there it's automatic zone time or shot on goal for the opposition. My patience with him has long gone.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:21 AM, Mike Brown said:

All of the Devils defense ranks in the top 75 out of 190 defensemen in xGF% among defensemen who have played at least 200 minutes.

• Ben Lovejoy: 75th
  • Sami Vatanen: 64th
  • Mirco Mueller: 51st
  • Damon Severson: 35th
  • Andy Greene: 30th
  • Will Butcher: 24th

I also want to point out, the Devils have been much better than what their record would indicate.

• xGF%: 7th
  • HDCF%: 3rd

See the source image

• Haha 3

We have three of the top 35 D-men in hockey. I love “advanced” stats. I’m going to start making up some at work. 

I didn’t file that motion I was supposed to, but I had 4-5 really good quality chances to do so. So we’re going to need to discuss a raise. 

• Haha 3

When Tri makes one of his "goes against the masses/I see something just about everyone else doesn't" posts (and is willing to actually explain his viewpoint as opposed to making a declaration), he at least usually does it in a way that even on the occasions that I don't fully or even partially agree with him, I can at least see where he's coming from just enough that he gets me thinking and considering. 

With you MB, I'm sorry, this crap just comes off as odd and kind of annoying.  If you're this much of a slave to metrics, fine, so be it, but Jesus, you have to be out of your fvcking mind if you truly believe that one or two particular metrics can somehow prop up the turd that has been Andy Greene this season.  I posted not too long ago that I respect Greene for being a bit of an overachiever, and for willing himself into being a solid defenseman...sadly for him, a nice chunk of his better years were spent on poor teams.  But he was not good last season, and he's been even more painful to watch this year...fvcking AWFUL. 

Some of the stuff you post is so out there (like making a massive deal out of Eric Gelinas more than once) that I can't make sense of your motivations.  Trolling?  Peluso's a legit troll, and most of the board ignores him...I don't necessarily think it's conscious trolling on your part.  But damn man, you are way fvcking out there.  I don't think there's another soul out there who would try to make the Devils defense sound "really good".  Just fvcking weird.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't believe our D is good even if there are some advanced stats suggesting it... and i also don't believe Jesus existed... even if... 

even if...his mother was a virgin? #metoo

glad mike said this cause i cant even fault lj, hes not doing too much wrong and greene is not a liability...would like to see santini

i tried to think about who on this team is coasting or floating and i couldnt...greene is not a slow skater,...is he floating, idk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, devlman said:

To me, his idiotic decision to bat the puck out of mid air towards an open goal wasn't even his most egregious error on a goal. That honor goes to Anaheim's third goal, in which Greene takes a dumb slashing penalty, and with the delayed call in effect, follows the opposing player to the POINT! Completely leaving Severson outnumbered down low.

I get that skills deteriorate but a veteran should have a better IQ on the ice. He also loses nearly every one on one battle. Every time he's out there it's automatic zone time or shot on goal for the opposition. My patience with him has long gone.

It seems Vatanen has taken a step back defensively as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Are we really all supposed to be okay with this ridiculous post? There are religious people on here and you just blanket insulted all of them. 

He threw in his own opinion, which he is entitled to, and really all he did was define the word Faith. There is nothing insulting about it.

• Like 2

If the Devils defense is "good" while conceding 3.6 goals a game then I would hate to see what the GAA is when it's "bad". And if the defense isn't to blame for the goals against but the forwards are then does it mean the defence are to blame for the forwards not scoring enough goals to win games? And if that's the case who the f*ck uis to blame for the goalies letting in pucks at such an epic rate? Damn you stats, I'm confused.

Edited by Aitchmack