GDT: Devils at Anaheim 12/9 - 8pm MSG+

Satans Hockey

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

the true win tonight is that Greene finally tasted accountability by being benched for the whole OT

I'm very curious to see what Captain Incompetent says in his post game interview, if he gives one.

Anything except "we fvcking lost this game for Cory, and I'm directly responsible for a good portion of it" is unacceptable.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He hasn’t seen the ice in OT since Vats got healthy. It’s  been Vats, Sevs and Butcher.

Coach Doofy will not discipline his pet

but also now that i think about it... many times in OT this year we almost never got to even have a full cycle of shifts. we seem to get scored on right away haha

2 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Greene, knocking the puck out of the air towards his own goal. Pure Genius................

I'd expect to see that at the Peewee level and be like "oh jeez, that's a stupid play but kids are gonna be kids.  They'll learn."

This is a 36 year old NHL veteran who thought swinging north-to-south to bat the puck out of the air at his own net was the right play.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

What do a streetwalker and Cory Schneider have in common?

Each gets scored on at least 5 times a night. 

Eh. Kinda hard to give too much of that one to Corey when he had Noesen punt one into his net, Lovejoy flub a catch and tip it in and Andy "The Great Bambino" Greene swings for the fences and puts it on his own net. 

The Montour goal should have been stopped though

Edited by Devil Dan 56

RECAP

• If tonight doesn't epitomize the importance of getting the puck out of the zone, no game will
    • Absolutely awful luck, but really it only happened because of not being able to clear the puck.
  • The overall effort was good.
  • This season has been full of shooting themselves in the foot.
  • They are trying too hard to set up the perfect play in OT. 
    • Just keep it simple.
  • Same thing with the powerplay.
    • Just keep it simple.
  • I truly feel as if Schneider deserved better.

GOALIE AND DEFENSE SUMMARY

• Goal 1
    •  Seeing eye shot
    • Schneider could do nothing.
  • Goal 2
    • Not the most egregious own goal.
    • Similar own goals like that happen very frequently off the rush like that
  • Goal 3
    • The whole team needs to be better
    • Nice shot, but Schneider needs to make a better effort than that.
  • Goal 4
    • What was Lovejoy thinking?
    • Although, there was a game when he was a Duck where he put the puck in his own net in OT against us.
  • Goal 5
    • WTF Greene?!
  • Overall Analysis
    • I thought Schneider played well in this game. 
    • He made some huge saves, and at the end of the day this game is not on him at all.

5 on 5 Possession

• CF: 49 to 58
  • FF: 39 to 45
  • SF: 26 to 31
  • SCF: 31 to 22
  • HDCF: 13 to 7

5 on 5 SVA Possession

• CF: 51.05 to 55.62
  • FF: 40.79 to 43.2
  • SF: 26.94 to 29.83
  • SCF: 32.98 to 21.01
  • HDCF: 14.19 to 6.79
Edited by Mike Brown
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Eh. Kinda hard to give too much of that one too Corey when he had Noesen punt one into his net, Lovejoy flub a catch and tip it in and Andy "The Great Bambino" Greene swings for the fences and puts it on his own net. 

The Montour goal should have been stopped though

Yeah it’s been a while (possibly my whole life) since I saw 3 own goals in one game.

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Schneider gave up five goals. If it’s “not on him”, maybe you can recant that ridiculous “our defense is good” post?

Hey they had two goals tonight. Sure, against their own goalie, but still...

• Like 2

I can't really talk about the hex on Cory - no idea how goal #1 went in even after seeing it 4 times, I don't know how the puck goes in or whether it hits anything, and then the obvious ones.  He's got to do better on goal #3, but the rest, I don't know how he's at fault.  He still looks bad out there, don't get me wrong, but I think given that he stopped so many shots off Ducks sticks, he's at least earned one more start.

Will Butcher got 25 minutes of ice time tonight.  The Devils are liking what he's doing and are giving him more responsibility.  I like it - he seems to have recovered from the injury early in the season and is playing good hockey again.  The Devils need to see if this guy is any good at handling a larger role.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'd expect to see that at the Peewee level and be like "oh jeez, that's a stupid play but kids are gonna be kids.  They'll learn."

This is a 36 year old NHL veteran who thought swinging north-to-south to bat the puck out of the air at his own net was the right play.

The dirty little secret is BECAUSE Cory's been so bad, is the reason guys like Greene do stupid sh!t like this, they're pressing to get him off the schneid.  It's like when Lemaire took over for MacLean and made the comment about how the team's struggles were beyond squeezing the stick, squeezing the stick you do for a game but this has been going on for a little while.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I can't actually be mad at Greene anymore, it's not actually his fault anymore, because the coaches should be picking this up and taking him out for a while. 

This is the trouble with giving the C to older guys. Exact same thing happened with Sal. They are not going to say "you know what coach I am done, put someone else out there" . 

• Like 2