GDT: The Devils of New Jersey vs The Predators of Nashville 8pm MSG

SeanMac16

Nico probably had the weakest attempt tbh.

Interested what MOJO’s numbers are in the SO. I think both him and Zajac should have been in front of a kid who’s got 1 career goal, and is up and down to the AHL. 

Using Severson like they did Ellis would be an option too. But whatever practice practice. 

I'm not sure how people are complaining about either one of Bratt or Q's moves, and I also don't know how you question using them in general.  They're both easily one of the better options in a shootout scenario, as both have pretty good releases and agility.  Bratt's move was fine, he just lost control of it at the end of the deke - he actually did have the goalie beat.  Q's attempt was fine, he got the puck on net, but kudos to the goalie for being square to the shot and a quick reaction - he got a piece of it and steered it aside.

The only issue I have is not using Johansson.  They showed him at the end and he looked so upset, not sure if it's because he had a part in last night's game ending play and wanted to relive that magic again, but I think regardless of all of that, he should've been used for his skill alone.

Other than that, I'm fine with the shootout decisions except for Stafford, guy is no longer a threat and you could tell by the move he tried to pull, basically just hoping to wait out the goalie. 

I'm proud as hell of guys for grinding out a point.

Edited by NJDfan1711

RECAP

• PROS
    • Hard fought game.
    • Kinkaid looked stellar.
    • The Zacha line looked impressive.
    • Johansson is really playing well.
    • 3 out of a possible 4 points against these two teams in a back to back is something you'll take every time.
    • MOST IMPORTANTLY, ERIKA LOOKED REALLY PRETTY TONIGHT!
  • CONS
    • Not enough shots in the 3rd.
    • Still not setting up simple one timer plays on the powerplay.
    • Bratt is still trying to be too fancy in shootouts and overall.

DEFENSE AND GOALIE ANALYSIS

• Goal 1
    • Bratt kind of got caught betwixt and between
    • Nothing Kinkaid could do
  • OVERALL
    • Kinkaid was great, and overall they did a good job limiting chances from Nashville.

5 ON 5 POSSESSION

• CF: 40 to 45
  • FF: 30 to 37
  • SF: 23 to 25
  • SCF: 11 to 28
  • HDCF: 7 to 11

5 ON 5 SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 39.53 to 46.03
  • FF: 30 to 37.37
  • SF: 22.8 to 25.33
  • SCF: 11.19 to 27.55
  • HDCF: 7.21 to 10.65

6 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

• CONS
    • Not enough shots in the 3rd.
    • Still not setting up simple one timer plays on the powerplay.
    • Bratt is still trying to be too fancy in shootouts and overall.

Bratt "being too fancy" is the only reason we got a point given his gorgeous play entering the zone over to Mojo before Boyle slammed it home.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm not sure how people are complaining about either one of Bratt or Q's moves, and I also don't know how you question using them in general.  They're both easily one of the better options in a shootout scenario, as both have pretty good releases and agility.  Bratt's move was fine, he just lost control of it at the end of the deke - he actually did have the goalie beat.  Q's attempt was fine, he got the puck on net, but kudos to the goalie for being square to the shot and a quick reaction - he got a piece of it and steered it aside.

The only issue I have is not using Johansson.  They showed him at the end and he looked so upset, not sure if it's because he had a part in last night's game ending play and wanted to relive that magic again, but I think regardless of all of that, he should've been used for his skill alone.

Other than that, I'm fine with the shootout decisions except for Stafford, guy is no longer a threat and you could tell by the move he tried to pull, basically just hoping to wait out the goalie. 

I'm proud as hell of guys for grinding out a point.

Proud of them too. Just can't wait for them to get rewarded with 2 points more often than once in a blue moon. It'd be nice to win a tough back to back against the west, but 3 points are certainly well deserved.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Bratt "being too fancy" is the only reason we got a point given his gorgeous play entering the zone over to Mojo before Boyle slammed it home.

He’s probably been the most dynamic player on the team since coming back from the jaw injury. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nico probably had the weakest attempt tbh.

Interested what MOJO’s numbers are in the SO. I think both him and Zajac should have been in front of a kid who’s got 1 career goal, and is up and down to the AHL. 

Using Severson like they did Ellis would be an option too. But whatever practice practice. 

He looked nervous I think and after the shot his face was like "see I told you to not use me"...

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

LOL No, I'm not saying every player that decides to shoot lacks confidence. I am saying that players with more confidence attempt riskier moves like the one Bratt tried tonight. 

I'd prefer him do something less risky but more responsible... like Ryan Johansson who also has no problem with confidence but realizes it's up to him to win the game. 

It doesn't matter now anyway.

Nico has played well with MoJo. Generally speaking, Nico has looked very good over these last two games, which is actually some evidence that he may be better off playing away from Hall. Once Hall is back, I would switch Nico to the "second" line, and play Zacha with Hall and Palmieri. Zacha had another strong game, despite not making it to the score sheet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

I'd prefer him do something less risky but more responsible... like Ryan Johansson who also has no problem with confidence but realizes it's up to him to win the game. 

It doesn't matter now anyway.

I'm just pointing out the confidence part. I made no comment on the actual move he attempted. That is the caveat; the riskier the move the nicer the goal or the more you look like an ass. Hindsight's a bitch. 

This team is playing so much better this month. They’ve drastically reduced the number of turnovers they’re committing, particularly on the breakout as they’re not trying to force-pass their way out the zone all the time. Offensively, they’re attacking the net and playing with some grit.

Jesper Bratt with another fantastic game. The kid plays like he was a high first round pick. Would’ve liked to have seen Zacha’s shot in the shootout. He too had a good game.

• Like 1

I know I picked on Hynes for using Q in the SO last night, but the Devils still haven’t lost a game in regulation with him in the lineup (5-0-2). Not saying he’s been an impact player by any means, but it does seem the team might feed of his energy. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I know I picked on Hynes for using Q in the SO last night, but the Devils still haven’t lost a game in regulation with him in the lineup (5-0-2). Not saying he’s been an impact player by any means, but it does seem the team might feed of his energy. 

There is nothing wrong with showing a little energy.  Players just seem to be more aware of where they need to be and what they need to be doing.

12 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm just pointing out the confidence part. I made no comment on the actual move he attempted. That is the caveat; the riskier the move the nicer the goal or the more you look like an ass. Hindsight's a bitch. 

Agree with your last statement. That's the nature of being a fan. You need to cool off before you can see the big picture. Brett didn't lose the game and rather got us the point that will most likely boost their confidence. If KK didn't let in that softie we'd have 2 points but KK played a great game so how can you blame him for that? Finally, we need to give credit where it's due to the Preds. Even depleted, they are a good skilled team.

Go Devils. The season isn't over.

• Like 1