Blackwood called up, Schneider to IR

DevilMinder

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

THATS WHO HE DID IT TO!!! HOLY sh!t I COULDNT FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMEBR!!!

Man that bothered me! Thank you

lol kept him on IR all season then suspiciously he was all ready in time for a tune up game or two before the playoffs where he played just about every game. That was like a 1980’s NFL type roster move

47 minutes ago, Triumph said:

This is a terrible move if it's a fake injury.

How else can they send him down for "conditioning" stint w/out putting him on waivers? Also, isn't there a limit on how long (or games) can "said" conditioning stint last?

13 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Does this mean he can be sent to Bingo for a "conditioning stint" when his injury has cleared up and doesn't have to pass through waivers?

Yes, but passing through waivers should not be a concern at all.

11 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

How else can they send him down for "conditioning" stint w/out putting him on waivers? Also, isn't there a limit on how long (or games) can "said" conditioning stint last?

They should be putting him on waivers if he isn't hurt.  A conditioning stint is only 3 games, and they can apply to the Commissioner for 2 more games, but goalies don't play every game.  He'd probably get in 3 starts if this was the plan, and they can't do this for 2 more weeks.  It gets them through the holiday break I guess.

• Like 1

This has to be a huge blow to Cory's Ego, Its absolutely the right move but being put on IR for a mysterious injury (if it is fake)  has to really suck. Wonder how that conversation went? Ray "Schneids, looks like you have a abdominal injury! Schneider, No I don't Ray,!! Yes YOU DO!"

Now what? Conditioning in the Bing, and if he gets lit up there? Season ending abdominal strain????? What a mess.

3 minutes ago, Devs1965 said:

This has to be a huge blow to Cory's Ego, Its absolutely the right move but being put on IR for a mysterious injury (if it is fake)  has to really suck. Wonder how that conversation went? Ray "Schneids, looks like you have a abdominal injury! Schneider, No I don't Ray,!! Yes YOU DO!"

Now what? Conditioning in the Bing, and if he gets lit up there? Season ending abdominal strain????? What a mess.

I think his ego has been non-existent for quite some time. Losing 197 games in a row will do that to a goalie. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I think his ego has been non-existent for quite some time. Losing 197 games in a row will do that to a goalie. 

Yes I agree but saying it can't get worse? a mysterious injury? Everyone is going to question its validity. If there is a career left for Cory I think a new start would be best for all.

15 minutes ago, Devs1965 said:

Yes I agree but saying it can't get worse? a mysterious injury? Everyone is going to question its validity. If there is a career left for Cory I think a new start would be best for all.

I agree, it has to hurt. But what is the alternative? Keep running him out and losing winnable games? If you're making the decision to tank, that's one thing. But if you're trying to compete, you can't have him on the ice right now. 

I think the best that can happen is you give him a break, he comes back with something to prove, puts together 4-5 good games, and you trade him for whatever you can get. 

This is some of the best news I've had all season with this team.  Cory shouldn't play again for us.  We need to see what Blackwood can do.  If he's AHL only, then look to the draft.

There is a league wide shortage of top end goalies right now.  I mean, how much confidence do you have in guys like Renne, F. Anderson or Halebuyk to win cups?  IMHO they all suck.

I would draft mobile defensemen high, goalies low. It seems to be the trend now.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

Just now, Rob_Ottawa said:

This is some of the best news I've had all season with this team.  Cory shouldn't play again for us.  We need to see what Blackwood can do.  If he's AHL only, then look to the draft.

There is a league wide shortage of top end goalies right now.  I mean, how much confidence do you have in guys like Renne, F. Anderson or Halebuyk to win cups?  IMHO they all suck.

I would draft mobile defensemen high, goalies low. It seems to be the trend now.

You're not going to find out if Blackwood is "AHL only" this season...there won't be enough data to know for sure. 

re:  Cory, though he can be bought out, I'm sure the Devils aren't necessarily in a rush to have $2 million in dead money over each of the next six years (though they would get $4 million in relief in each of the next three seasons)...I'd do it, but it ain't my money.  They're going to see if he can be righted before giving up on him completely...you probably haven't seen the last of him just yet.   

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You're not going to find out if Blackwood is "AHL only" this season...there won't be enough data to know for sure. 

Correct. Even if he stays the season, what's he gonna get, 5-8 games?

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

re:  Cory, though he can be bought out, I'm sure the Devils aren't necessarily in a rush to have $2 million in dead money over each of the next six years (though they would get $4 million in relief in each of the next three seasons)...I'd do it, but it ain't my money.  They're going to see if he can be righted before giving up on him completely...you probably haven't seen the last of him just yet.   

I also agree with this. Both sides clearly need a re-set. 

i still refuse to believe that Cory simply lost his ability to play. I'm sure part of it is in his head at this point, but I still think he's hurt and has not fully recovered. He may never, who knows. But I will not be one of those people who think trading for him was dumb, or that his contract was dumb, because I still think it was the right move at the time.